NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-02-2024, 05:16 PM

Default Masonic Steel Penny - Looking for Help

Not sure anyone on here is into coins but I figured I'd take a shot. I recently came across this steel penny while clearing out some things from my grandmother's house. What's interesting about the penny is that it has a Masonic stamp, the G with a triangle around it, but even more interesting than that is the 1942 date stamped onto it.

Everything I've found online says steel pennies didn't go into circulation until 1943. I've found other articles that refer to "experimental cents" but none of them seem to indicate they were meant to circulate.

Anyone know anything about this penny or what an experimental cent is?

Old 08-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Mark Pennies were and still are rewarded to freemasons for passing certain levels. These are often worn (thus the hole) pinned to a coat or tie. It really depends on the traditions of a particular lodge. It is not uncommon for some to be plated silver to be more decorative. I would guess this is plated.

Any penny before 2012 should not be magnetic other than a steelie (steel penny). If a magnet does not pick it up, it is plated.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:50 AM

It is magnetic. The steel is on both sides too. I'm mostly interested in the date on the penny and how it might have come to be. Everything I see online says the steel penny was not introduced until 1943, but I did find this Wiki entry on what they refer to as "experimental cents" and there's a section on experimental steel pennies in 1942:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_experimental_cents

There is also a photo of an experimental 1942 cent included. I'm wondering if I have one?
Old 08-06-2024, 12:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It is magnetic. The steel is on both sides too. I'm mostly interested in the date on the penny and how it might have come to be. Everything I see online says the steel penny was not introduced until 1943, but I did find this Wiki entry on what they refer to as "experimental cents" and there's a section on experimental steel pennies in 1942:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942_experimental_cents

There is also a photo of an experimental 1942 cent included. I'm wondering if I have one?
If you have a good scale what is the exact weight of it? Also look inside the hole with a good loupe and see if the color is consistent all the way through it. Can you also post a close up of just the date and a pic of the back of the coin?

Last edited by bnorth; 08-06-2024 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2024, 04:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Mark Pennies were and still are rewarded to freemasons for passing certain levels. These are often worn (thus the hole) pinned to a coat or tie. It really depends on the traditions of a particular lodge. It is not uncommon for some to be plated silver to be more decorative. I would guess this is plated.
As never having been a part of a secret society (well, except for being one of the small group of people who are too ashamed to admit they collect 1997 SkyBox E-X2000 Hall or Nothing cards), aren't you worried about exposing their secrets so openly like this????? Run, man, run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2024, 04:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
As never having been a part of a secret society (well, except for being one of the small group of people who are too ashamed to admit they collect 1997 SkyBox E-X2000 Hall or Nothing cards), aren't you worried about exposing their secrets so openly like this????? Run, man, run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, yes run. With all the Lodge closing and the huge drop in membership I think their main goal is to get/keep members. The membership is less than half what it was 20 years ago. Around here back in the 80s every little town had a nice Lodge. Now even in the bigger towns around here the Lodge is someone's basement or garage for meetings.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:17 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

My guess is that it is a copper penny that was dipped after the Masonic Emblem was etched into the penny. If you were to take a sharp scribe and scratch the edge with it, then look at it with a loupe, you would more than likely see a copper color where the scribe scratch was made.

You may even be able to see copper colorings now in the hole under magnification.

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-07-2024, 06:27 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
My guess is that it is a copper penny that was dipped after the Masonic Emblem was etched into the penny. If you were to take a sharp scribe and scratch the edge with it, then look at it with a loupe, you would more than likely see a copper color where the scribe scratch was made.

You may even be able to see copper colorings now in the hole under magnification.

Butch
The Masonic symbol is a stamping process. The first coin is the aluminum coin and the second is the zinc coated steel coin. With a some searching most if not all of the 1942 experimental coins have hit the market at one time or another.

When packs gets back to us with pics and a weight we will know a lot more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1942 Experimental Alloy.jpg (129.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg penny.jpg (121.8 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 08-07-2024 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 07:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

Can it be a secret society if there's only one member?
Old 08-07-2024, 08:28 AM

Here's the back of the coin. I don't have a scale sensitive enough to weigh it. The first photo I posted is the best photo I can get of the date. It's hard to photograph because it's reflective.

I think it bears a lot of similarities with the experimental example on the Wiki page, but I really don't know anything about coins.

Last edited by packs; 08-07-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:48 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Here's the back of the coin. I don't have a scale sensitive enough to weigh it. The first photo I posted is the best photo I can get of the date. It's hard to photograph because it's reflective.

I think it bears a lot of similarities with the experimental example on the Wiki page, but I really don't know anything about coins.

The one pictured on the Wiki page is the aluminum one I posted a pic of. Does yours feel light for an old penny? The old(70s and earlier copper pennies weighed more than the new early 80s until now pennies. If steel yours should feel about the same weight as a newer penny.

Have you tried to clean it with anything or is that the way you found it?
Old 08-07-2024, 08:59 AM

That's the way I found it. It was mixed in with a bag of old nickels and I thought it was a dime at first. It does feel a little lighter than normal.

I also got mixed up about its magnetism. It is NOT magnetic. There were a bunch of other steel pennies mixed in with the collection. I tried sticking it to a magnet again before taking the picture of the back of the coin and it didn't stick. That could also point to an aluminum composition. I don't think aluminum is magnetic.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:07 AM
Ben North

Quote:
That's the way I found it. It was mixed in with a bag of old nickels and I thought it was a dime at first. It does feel a little lighter than normal.

I also got mixed up about its magnetism. It is NOT magnetic. There were a bunch of other steel pennies mixed in with the collection. I tried sticking it to a magnet again before taking the picture of the back of the coin and it didn't stick. That could also point to an aluminum composition. I don't think aluminum is magnetic.
Aluminum isn't magnetic. The aluminum one weights around half a normal one. I think it is 1.7 grams but would have to look it up to make sure. Really interesting coin. Something like that would be worth your time to take it/send it to PCGS or the grader of your choice. Buying a cheap digital grams scale should be first though. Like cards there are also a ton of fake coins out there and always has been. Most get the weight wrong.
Old 08-07-2024, 10:10 AM

I guess anything is possible but as I mentioned I found this coin in a bag labeled "old nickels" while clearing out my grandmother's house. It wasn't set aside or anything like that. The rest of the nickels were from the 40s and 50s as well. It could be a fake but if it is I don't think it was intended to trick someone into thinking it was valuable.

Speaking of, if I do have an experimental cent, would that be valuable to someone?

Last edited by packs; 08-07-2024 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 10:31 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I guess anything is possible but as I mentioned I found this coin in a bag labeled "old nickels" while clearing out my grandmother's house. It wasn't set aside or anything like that. The rest of the nickels were from the 40s and 50s as well. It could be a fake but if it is I don't think it was intended to trick someone into thinking it was valuable.
In the card world this would be like finding a rookie Mickey Mantle in a 5 cent per card monster box full of beat up junk era commons.

Please let us know what happens when/if you take it to a good coin shop or send it in for grading. It is extremely cool to see for many reasons.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:10 AM

I'm in NYC. Maybe I'll try to take it up to Brigandi one day and get their opinion.

Never mind. Looks like they closed. I'll see if I can find another shop.

Last edited by packs; 08-07-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I'm in NYC. Maybe I'll try to take it up to Brigandi one day and get their opinion.

Never mind. Looks like they closed. I'll see if I can find another shop.
I can't imagine if real it is under a 6 figure coin. One sold 10 years ago for 200K and one sold around 15 years ago for 125K. Now they didn't have the Mason symbol stamped into them so who knows what that would do to the value. The amount of wear is the main thing that concerns me.
Old 08-07-2024, 11:23 AM

Wow. Well that makes it worth looking into. I think I'll take it in to this place tomorrow on my lunch break and see if they have any insight:

https://stacksbowers.com/
Old 08-09-2024, 03:52 PM

It has copper showing thru on the rims and several other raised areas. It has been plated, most likely with zinc.

Last edited by sb1; 08-09-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 04:17 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
It has copper showing thru on the rims and several other raised areas. It has been plated, most likely with zinc.
Looks like copper at the reverse rim to me as well. Good catch.....

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 08-09-2024, 04:55 PM

The store I took it too felt it was decoratively plated too.
Old 08-09-2024, 05:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
The store I took it too felt it was decoratively plated too.
That is too bad. It would have been great to have had the aluminum experimental penny with a stamp from a Mason working at the mint. Still a cool item for a Mason to have/display but sadly only worth a few dollars.
Old 08-09-2024, 06:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Bummer!!!
We were all hoping this was going to turn into something epic. I guess hope is always a dangerous thing.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.