NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-10-2021, 11:58 AM

Default 1954 Topps Canadian Gray Backs

Does anyone know if ONLY the first 50 cards in this set were printed in Canada and on gray-back stock? In other words, if a wax pack says "printed in Canada" will it contain ONLY cards from the first 50 in the series? And will they be ONLY gray backs?

BTW, I am thinking of completing this set. I do not see many errors or variations listed for it. Does anyone know of any?

Bill
Old 08-11-2021, 09:20 AM
Al Richter

Bill--I do not know the answer to your pack question. Maybe Griffins ( Anthony) or Dave Hornish do. I have over time read there are conflicting views in the hobby as to whether cards 1-50 in 1954 and 131-180 in 1952 actually originated in Canada. I have no personal knowledge on that issue. I do know the 54 gray backs are just as tough as the 52s. I have only examples of both with my sets and have decided not to complete the gray back runs

I do have an unopened pack and the set in ungraded form. And while I collect variations and recurring print defects for all my sets, I have only a couple for 54. The most prominent being Mays which on many cards has a white "band" around his arm. It is easy to find. Not sure if it was a DP, a defect that was corrected, or just a defect that occurred on a bunch of sheets. Because it is quite common and not much recognized I doubt there is any premium on it

I also have card 121 Labine with a red line in the bottom border, 189 Ross in which the 2nd S in his name is defective, and 218 Marsh in which there are several errant yellow splashes on the front of the cards. All these are recurring but scarce. Can send you scans if you want

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-12-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:55 AM

Many thanks, Al. I am aware of the Ross, but would like to see the Labine and Marsh when you have the time.

Bill
Old 08-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I'm not even sure they are Canadian issue but I do not know what is in a first series Canadian pack. This will likely remain an enduring mystery unless someone rips what is a rare pack.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Al Richter

Nothing much to write home about, but the Mays and Ross were mentioned in SCD articles

Old 08-11-2021, 02:12 PM
Al Richter

By the way, Bill. The pack I have with my set ( posted above) is a Canada issued pack. If one knew for a fact that it contained 4 grey back cards in decent condition would the contents of the cards inside be potentially more valuable than the unopened pack itself ?

For me personally, no. I always think the mystery of what might be inside is more valuable than the actual contents, whatever they may be.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:50 AM

Gray backs are rumored to be Canadian issued cards which were in a very limited release. Only cards 1-50 from the first series were released on gray stock.

I’m not sure if “printed in Canada” means they are automatically gray backs or even if they are first series. If some one ever cracks a pack and they are all first series gray backs all printed in Canada packs would likely carry a high premium. Unless you’re pulling 6’s or higher grade I think the value of the pack would outweigh the gray back cards if they happen to be all commons.

Also, gray backs are sometimes misunderstood. Toning on a white back isn’t the same as a gray back. You can easily tell the difference.

There are no major misprints or error cards that carry a premium price in the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DF60AA3-3FC7-466D-9E05-AEB130218333.jpg (14.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
By the way, Bill. The pack I have with my set ( posted above) is a Canada issued pack. If one knew for a fact that it contained 4 grey back cards in decent condition would the contents of the cards inside be potentially more valuable than the unopened pack itself ?

For me personally, no. I always think the mystery of what might be inside is more valuable than the actual contents, whatever they may be.
Great question, Al. And perhaps not as obvious as it seems.

It is clear (to me) that Topps front-loaded the 1954 set. While the three most expensive cards today are post-#50, in 1953/4 Aaron, Banks, and Kaline were...rookies.

Looking at it through the eyes of 1954 players, almost all the all-stars and future HOFers were in the first 50 cards. Mays is the obvious exception, and maybe Doby, Sievers, Hodges.... But clearly the first 50 contain a higher percentage of stars.

To me, that could mean that Topps had an intention to print and distribute just the first 50 directly in Canada and they wanted to include the big boys so as not to cheat their customers. (Again, Mays an obvious outlier.)

So, that being the case, then a "printed in Canada" pack could just contain one of the first 50 cards.

And, that being the case, you would have a lower chance of getting a "common" than usual.

And finally, to get to your question, I think that there is a decent chance that the individual cards could be more valuable than the pack (assuming the value of a pack to be around $2500--the opening bid in the LOTG auction, and the cards graded NM or better). And if all "printed in Canada" pack cards were on gray stock, what I propose would be true in SPADES.

Bill

Last edited by flkersn; 08-13-2021 at 10:50 AM.