NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-16-2021, 04:03 PM
Josh Alpert

Default PWCC Sells Mislabeled PSA 1960 Mantle/Boyer card worth $50 for over $1K & they know

Two 1960 Topps Mantle/Boyer cards were mislabeled by PSA as Venezuela Topps cards. The original submitter tried selling them on eBay for months, no buyer. I informed him they were US Topps cards in mislabeled holders (I am 100% certain of this, the Venezuela Topps version is on a completely different stock and has a distinctly different surface and registration), he gets upset with me for telling him, cops out by laying it on PSA, saying they're the experts and kept the cards listed. He couldn't sell them.

They pop up a week ago, PWCC is now his fence for them. The PSA 5 sells at auction on eBay last night for $1,069. It's a $50 card. The PSA 6 is listed as BIN at $4K. I inform PWCC on 3 separate occasions, I get one response that they would discuss it. No action was taken. In their disclaimer, they dump it on PSA as the experts.

The Venezuela Topps version is extraordinarily rare. The guy who submitted them with a bunch of other vintage US Topps cards knew they were not Venezuelan, but PSA botched the labeling and he took the opportunity to become a scammer.

Here's the backs of two Venezuela Topps specimen. Note the sandstone-like surface and significantly lighter registration.

Here's the back of the PWCC PSA 5 card, which is clearly a US Topps card. Note the smooth surface finish and sharp registration.

Here's the back of the PWCC PSA 6, same deal as above, US Topps.

Meanwhile, the Venezuela Topps is an extremely low pop card, and the mislabeled 5 and 6 completely skews the population and devalues the real Venezuela Topps specimens.

Here are the fronts:

Real Venezuela Topps:

Mislabeled:

Night and day. PSA is to blame for such a pathetic error to begin with. Pure greed followed their mistakes.

Never get cheated...

Last edited by a761506; 08-16-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeez. I thought they had Mike Baker in house too now, as if you need anyone with more expertise than Brentsy on this travesty.

Josh maybe you should alert PSA about the 6 still on ebay, if Brentsy is going to hide behind PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-16-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:31 PM
Ben North

Any idea who the original seller on eBay is?
Old 08-16-2021, 04:38 PM
Eric Perry

Semi-related:

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me, or has the EX-MT 6 (cert # 42714634) gotten a bit of a trim? The edge above "Rival..." looks a bit crooked to me.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 08-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 04:58 PM
Josh Alpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Any idea who the original seller on eBay is?
eBay ID: cg0184

Originally listed on or around 8/9/2019
Old 08-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Josh Alpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jeez. I thought they had Mike Baker in house too now, as if you need anyone with more expertise than Brentsy on this travesty.

Josh maybe you should alert PSA about the 6 still on ebay, if Brentsy is going to hide behind PSA.
My message to PSA directly on 8-12-2019:

These two cards are both are US Topps cards mislabeled as Venezuela Topps... the Venezuela Topps version is extremely rare, particularly in this grade, and now the population report has been massively skewed as the mislabeling of the cards is opening the door for the seller to turn a $50 card into thousands of dollars and a total fraud. Nearly $10,000 of liability to PSA.

$5900.00

RARE - MICKEY MANTLE & Boyer 1960 Venezuela Topps #160 PSA 6 EX-MT (Pop ...

Extremely Rare 1960 Topps Venezuela #160 “Rival All Stars” Mickey Mantle & Ken Boyer PSA 6 EX-MT, extremely r...

$3900.00

RARE - MICKEY MANTLE & Boyer 1960 Venezuela Topps #160 PSA 5 EX (PSA Pop...

Extremely Rare 1960 Topps Venezuela #160 “Rival All Stars” Mickey Mantle & Ken Boyer PSA 5 EX, extremely rar...

With a system which supposedly requires multiple graders checking cards for accuracy before they leave PSA, there was a major failure here. Any grader who knows this issue would be able to tell in a glance that both of these cards were US Topps cards. The 1960 Venezuela Topps cards have different coloration, print quality, muted black ink on the back, as well as an easily distinguishable "sandstone" texture on the back. I'd guess the person who submitted them even listed them US Topps cards on their submission form.

These cards are both problematic now, and the seller, who I have communicated with asking him to return them to PSA to be corrected, is intent on committing fraud and selling them as fools gold to some unsuspecting collector.

Please find a way to get those cards back, out of those mislabeled holders and out of the population report.

PSA's reply:

Destanie Powell (Collectors Universe)

Aug 21, 12:44 PDT

Hi there!

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Service!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we do recommend to contact the seller so they can send it back to us for correction.

If any questions remain, please do not hesitate to reach out to PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121. A Customer Service Representative will be available Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PST) to answer remaining questions.

Thank you,

Destanie
PSA Customer Service

Old 08-16-2021, 05:06 PM
Peter Nordquist

I submitted about 30 cards to psa a couple of years ago with quite a variety of modern and vintage. I am pretty new to vintage so when my Johnny bench rookie came back a psa 4 and had “Venezuelan” on the label from PSA, I was curious. So I asked a buddy of mine who said that made it quite valuable so I was thrilled but cautious. I then did my own research and saw it clearly was not a Venezuelan and sent it back in for the right label. Wasted months making right what they got wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by a761506 View Post
My message to PSA directly on 8-12-2019:

These two cards are both are US Topps cards mislabeled as Venezuela Topps... the Venezuela Topps version is extremely rare, particularly in this grade, and now the population report has been massively skewed as the mislabeling of the cards is opening the door for the seller to turn a $50 card into thousands of dollars and a total fraud. Nearly $10,000 of liability to PSA.

$5900.00

RARE - MICKEY MANTLE & Boyer 1960 Venezuela Topps #160 PSA 6 EX-MT (Pop ...

Extremely Rare 1960 Topps Venezuela #160 “Rival All Stars” Mickey Mantle & Ken Boyer PSA 6 EX-MT, extremely r...

$3900.00

RARE - MICKEY MANTLE & Boyer 1960 Venezuela Topps #160 PSA 5 EX (PSA Pop...

Extremely Rare 1960 Topps Venezuela #160 “Rival All Stars” Mickey Mantle & Ken Boyer PSA 5 EX, extremely rar...

With a system which supposedly requires multiple graders checking cards for accuracy before they leave PSA, there was a major failure here. Any grader who knows this issue would be able to tell in a glance that both of these cards were US Topps cards. The 1960 Venezuela Topps cards have different coloration, print quality, muted black ink on the back, as well as an easily distinguishable "sandstone" texture on the back. I'd guess the person who submitted them even listed them US Topps cards on their submission form.

These cards are both problematic now, and the seller, who I have communicated with asking him to return them to PSA to be corrected, is intent on committing fraud and selling them as fools gold to some unsuspecting collector.

Please find a way to get those cards back, out of those mislabeled holders and out of the population report.

PSA's reply:

Destanie Powell (Collectors Universe)

Aug 21, 12:44 PDT

Hi there!

Thank you for contacting PSA Customer Service!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we do recommend to contact the seller so they can send it back to us for correction.

If any questions remain, please do not hesitate to reach out to PSA Customer Service at (800) 325-1121. A Customer Service Representative will be available Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PST) to answer remaining questions.

Thank you,

Destanie
PSA Customer Service

Jesus that's awful.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-17-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:00 AM
Tyson

Default Cards have been removed from Pop report

Just checked the PSA population report on the 2 1960 Venies in question... Both have been removed...
Old 08-17-2021, 06:56 AM
Howard Chasser

Default That was fast!

and great. I suspect (hope) that PSA is becoming much more responsive to these types of situations. Great catch Josh. Now let's see how PWCC handles it.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:15 AM
Josh Alpert

Wow… I have never seen them deactivate a cert before without the card in hand, what happens to the guy who just bought the card for $1k? I’d say it’s a entirely worthless card now (until it’s cracked). And the one on eBay being offered for $4k… that one is worthless too.

Glad to see them right that wrong.

Last edited by a761506; 08-17-2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by a761506 View Post
Wow… I have never seen them deactivate a cert before without the card in hand, what happens to the guy who just bought the card for $1k? I’d say it’s a entirely worthless card now (until it’s cracked). And the one on eBay being offered for $4k… that one is worthless too.

Glad to see them right that wrong.
Isn't it only worthless to those that look up the cert #s? I have never looked up a cert # but have only owned a couple hundred PSA slabs total. Any guess on the percentage of buyers who do?
Old 08-17-2021, 10:35 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

PSA has a grade guarantee, but they'd force the buyer to have PWCC refund this one. And they designate certs all the time without the cards in hand. I've probably seen hundreds removed within a day of being exposed.
Removing the cart also serves to make it impossible to add to a set registry, so many people would notice.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PWCC are cockroaches. Maybe eBay is finally going to do some pest control (see thread on main page).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-17-2021, 02:07 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
PWCC are cockroaches. Maybe eBay is finally going to do some pest control (see thread on main page).
Yes but they are wealthy cockroaches that many members on here use on a regular basis for their collecting needs.
Old 08-18-2021, 06:05 AM
Tyson

Default eBay and PWCC

eBay sent out an email yesterday accusing PWCC of shill bidding and has restricted PWCC's eBay listings... whatever that means..

In return, PWCC sent out an email last night denying the shill bidding and threatening legal action against eBay...