NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Michael Bryant

Default What Are Strip Cards? Where Did They Come From??

Hey, i am not really educated on the 1919-21 strip cards. I have some forsale and have questions from other members i dont know.

Are these tabacco cards?

Where did strip cards come from?

Are these more rare the t206's?

Why are they paper backs?

Any help would be a lot of help.

Thanks, Brandon
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
Hey, i am not really educated on the 1919-21 strip cards. I have some forsale and have questions from other members i dont know.

Are these tabacco cards?

Where did strip cards come from?

Are these more rare the t206's?

Why are they paper backs?

Any help would be a lot of help.

Thanks, Brandon
hey, you really should do some searches on this board and after that, ask questions.

Are these tabacco cards? No

Where did strip cards come from? Stores

Are these more rare the t206's? some are some aren't

Why are they paper backs? because the fronts are paper too
Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Michael Bryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
hey, you really should do some searches on this board and after that, ask questions.

I might be taking this wrong Leon, but I hope your saying this with all do respect. I feel like your being smart aleck. Again i might be taking this the wrong way. I just feel like your coming at me wrong bud. Im here to make friends and deals. I am kinda new to vintage and brand new to this site. So i dont know all the stuff on here. Thanks for pointing these things out. Thanks Brandon
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Just take a step back

Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the board. Just generally it makes sense to do a search before you ask a question. Lots of times, these are questions that come up a lot. This is not to silence you but you will find that the searches will contain information and viewpoints that you would never even have thought of. Also, sometimes "strip card" search will bring up other stuff which can enlighten you.

Sometimes, and I'm not saying this is the case, people just post questions to hear themselves talk. Also, I noticed that you posted a for sale for some tobacco cards and then bumped it up just one day later. Normal etiquette is to wait about a week before doing so unless there is some change in price/status.

Just a few pointers. Generally, just lay back, get some knowledge and then post. Hope you have fun on the board.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Michael Bryant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the board. Just generally it makes sense to do a search before you ask a question. Lots of times, these are questions that come up a lot. This is not to silence you but you will find that the searches will contain information and viewpoints that you would never even have thought of. Also, sometimes "strip card" search will bring up other stuff which can enlighten you.

Sometimes, and I'm not saying this is the case, people just post questions to hear themselves talk. Also, I noticed that you posted a for sale for some tobacco cards and then bumped it up just one day later. Normal etiquette is to wait about a week before doing so unless there is some change in price/status.

Just a few pointers. Generally, just lay back, get some knowledge and then post. Hope you have fun on the board.
Thanks a lot. You help me out here bud. I thought it is like one bump every 12hours like my other sites that i deal with. Im sorry for that. Sometimes it is in my head, but how he answered them, it was kinda rude and being a smart aleck. Well i moved on now. lol I will check it out. I appreciate the help. Thanks Brandon
Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Brandon

Brandon- I PM'd you some stuff. You do what I asked and I will answer your questions after that. Yes, you had it correct. I was being a bit of a smart a**. You might go on those other sites and do as you please but we are going to have some civility here. As I said, if you don't want to collect vintage, that is fine. You do need to learn the ways of the forum if you are going to post. To do that you need to do as Jaybird suggested. Also, please heed my request on the sig line links. Sorry if I offended you. thanks much
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Frank Wakefield

To answer something...

Merchants bought, or were given, or haggled for strips or sheets of cards. Baseball, all sports, actors, all sorts of stuff. If a kid purchased a certain amount of candy, the merchant would cut a card or two off of the strip as a bonus.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Paul C.

Quote:
Brandon- I PM'd you some stuff. You do what I asked and I will answer your questions after that. Yes, you had it correct. I was being a bit of a smart a**. You might go on those other sites and do as you please but we are going to have some civility here. As I said, if you don't want to collect vintage, that is fine. You do need to learn the ways of the forum if you are going to post. To do that you need to do as Jaybird suggested. Also, please heed my request on the sig line links. Sorry if I offended you. thanks much

The poster wrote: "Hey, i am not really educated on the 1919-21 strip cards.....Any help would be a lot of help.....Im here to make friends and deals. I am kinda new to vintage and brand new to this site. So i dont know all the stuff on here."

Wow Leon. I'm going to stick up for the new guy who was nothing but polite.
Your responses are uncharacteristically rude and condescending.
It's also ironic that you respond with "we are going to have some civility here" when the poster was completely civil and you were the uncivil and rude poster.

As moderator of this board I would have expected more from you than being a self described smart a** to a new poster who doesn't yet know all the board's etiquette.

You should have just politely informed this new poster the way jaybird or Frank did.

I'm only posting because I don't like seeing someone treated that way when they ask an innocent question...this poster didn't deserve it. And also because I'm not sure anyone else is going to call out the forum owner on bad behavior.

Paul C.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

You have a few different types in your photos,

W514............. ie Cobb #43
W516-1 ............ie Hooper #27
W519-1 (tough) ........ie Gleason
W522 (tough) .........ie Mathewson #39

PS everything is rarer than T206, they are the most common PreWar cards.
And the term is "blank back", not "paper back" ...thats a book
Old 01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Paul C

Paul C. - I told the guy I was sorry and had already said I PM'd him. What else would you like me to do?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Frank Wakefield

Here's an uncut strip of cards.... Abe Attell in the middle.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Here are some more sheets/strips

1923 W515

1928 W565

1919 W552
Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Frank Wakefield

Nice stuff, FKW.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

What happened? I don't understand how Leon was rude; his initial response was an answer to the question. Granted, it was a short answer, so what? I personally prefer short answers, but that's just me.

Welcome Brandon. Paul, sorry you had to see that.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Barry Arnold

Default strips

great pics fellas.

quite an incredible collection,Frank Ward.
you are consistently primus inter pares.

all the best,

barry
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Paul C.

Quote:
Paul C. - I told the guy I was sorry and had already said I PM'd him. What else would you like me to do?
Nothing else to do Leon.
He accepted your apology and "moved on".
Old 01-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Michael Bryant

Thanks everone for the help and information on these cards instead of smart aleck comments! I really apreciate it! If anybody has info and not smart aleck comments i would like to hear some more on these cards! Let's move on now. No more argueing, we are all adults on here.

Again Thank you!

Best Regards, Brandon
Old 01-05-2011, 11:45 AM
marty

If nothing else, we got to see some COOL strip cards.. love 'em

Leon, are you sure you were teatin' Brandon like you treat most Okies!?!?!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Chris

Default I call foul...

Leon made his peace (though questionable if he should have) and moved on and now you post some backhanded comment?

(edited to add: What is with the phrase "smart aleck(s)?")

BTW, I hate strip cards...

Last edited by usernamealreadytaken; 01-05-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more criticism...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM
Frank Wakefield

When I first started collecting old stuff, that is cards not contemporaneous with me keeping track of baseball as a kid, I too hated strip cards.

But after a few years of collecting, it seemed that some players, if you wanted a card of them, options were limited, and sometimes a strip card or an Exhibit card was the only reasonable choice. Then, after I got a few, I got to where I liked them. They kinda grow on you. Maybe a few of the folks who collect strip cards liked them from day one. But I think for many of us they are an acquired appreciation.

Here are ten strip cards. How about you guys take a stab at identifying them... with some limitations. So that 10 of the board can participate, identify one card only, not a bunch of them. And if you identify a card, maybe mention whether you have any of that issue yourself, and if so which one you most like. Doing this might rerail this thread back onto strip cards. Thanks. Across the top, 1 - 4, middle row 5 - 8, bottom row 9 & 10.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM
S Gross

I agree with Frank, strips grow on you !!!

How's this:

1- w551
2- w512
3- w513
4- w572

5- w514
6- w515-2
7- w519
8- w560

9&10- w517

fun, fun, Scott

W551 boxers ---

th_w551set.jpg

Last edited by mybuddyinc; 01-05-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Barry Arnold

Default strip cards

i,too, have grown to love some of the strip cards.
one of my favorites(framed now,of course) is a strip of 8(still uncut) from
515-1 which includes 5 HOFers---baker,grimes,sisler,heilmann,frisch.

Yes, i know there should be 10 to a strip but i'm mighty happy to have the 8 at this point!

best,
barry
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
To answer something...

Merchants bought, or were given, or haggled for strips or sheets of cards. Baseball, all sports, actors, all sorts of stuff. If a kid purchased a certain amount of candy, the merchant would cut a card or two off of the strip as a bonus.

Were strip cards ever sold by themselves? I must admit in reading numerous threads here about strip cards, I don't recall the original question being asked about how they were marketed.

I have a couple of strips of 10 or so cards. What is the longest strip known before the strip starts repeating the cards?

Max
Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I believe that the 1950 R432's were in strips of at least 13. I don't know if they came any longer though. The W560's I believe were in sheets of 16 rather than strips. A few sheets sold on the bay yesterday. I'm unsure about any other issues though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1927-W560-Baseba...item3363a97f06

http://cgi.ebay.com/1927-W560-Baseba...item3363a9d9c9

Also, I don't believe the strips start repeating themselves... Although the more popular players may have been on a strip more than once, but don't have any confirmation on that though.

Last edited by novakjr; 01-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.