NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Mike M.

Default OT - SCD Ripoff!

Hello Net54!

First post for me on the forum, so apologies if I stumble on the way out of the gate. I wish my first foray could be on a positive topic, but I felt compelled to make folks aware of a new low for this once relevant collectors magazine. I understand that SCD has become a fairly useless collecting tool, but I did enjoy some of the editorial content over the years, and the occasional auction catalog sometimes included with the magazine.

In a recent editorial they announced several changes for the new year, including the cancellation of Tuff Stuff magazine, the reduction in publication frequency of SCD, and the departure of long-time editor T.S. Oconnell. The ripoff I alluded to is that rather than extend subscriber subscriptions by an equivalent number of issues because of the reduction in publishing frequency, they are simply saying that they will honor existing subscriptions through the end of the original expiration date. In other words, my current subscription will end at the same time my old 52 issue subscription would have, but with significantly less total issues. What I find infuriating about this is that all of their subscription literature emphasizes the number of issues you are supposedly receiving for your money. Wow!

I have sent numerous emails in protest to new editor Tom Bartsch. He is sympathetic, but has assured me that the decision is above his pay grade.

Again, I know that SCD is considered mostly a joke to members of this forum, but I thought some readers might be interested in the recent shenanigans by these supposedly professional publishers. Needless to say, my subscription will not be renewed.

Looking forward to posting some fun topics going forward.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Dan Bretta

The magazine is dying a slow torturous death...I haven't seen one in a while, but the last time I was in a card shop I noticed that it looked about the same size as the Parade magazine that comes free with the Sunday newspaper.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

They did the same with their sister publication Goldmine, although that has gained some heft and glossy covers and better paper inside with a lot more color. That went from 26 (maybe 24, I forget) issues to 12 and I still end in July, '11 juts like I did when they published every two weeks. Punk move by F+W-how is this not illegal?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Mike M.

Toppcat,

I know what you mean by questioning the legality here. Not a lawyer, and ultimately not worth the time, but they didn't even raise the price of the magazine to try and justify their stance. This comes off as just a money grab by them.

SCD: "You bought 52 issues, but we are only going to deliver half of what we committed to. Thanks for playing..."

Duped subscriber: "but, but, but..."
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Frank Wakefield

What if you contact them, canceling your subscription and asking for a refund on the balance??
Old 01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Mike M.

I hadn't thought of that Frank! We'll see what happens, and thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default 20 Years

After almost 20 years I let my subscription lapse in December....turned out to be a great idea. Sorry to all those who are still subscribers.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Glyn Parson

Default It is sad what has happened to SCD

I can remeber in the early to late 1990s I would have the magazine shipped to me FED EX overnight. So I would have it as fast as possible. Boy how times have changed.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill Hedin

Default sad to see SCD this way

I just got my recent issue of SCD and I enjoyed the article about Wholesale Cards (Bruce Yecko), Card Collectors Company (The Gellmans) and Larry Fritch cards. The article was decent. I love the hobby's history!
I remember geting SCD since the days it was owned by the Stommen family.
The Stommen folks always treated me well. The Sport Hobbyist by Charlie Brooks was another early one that treated me well. i was 8 thru 12 when I started buying cards through those papers and was happy to be treated as an adult even though my orders we're usuaally under 10.00 then!
It is sad to see SCD struggling. I'll miss TS O'Connell and I'm not happy about not getting SCD every week even if it has less than 50 pages!
My subscription ends soon and I will re-new even though I'm not happy with the changes. SCD has been a big part of my life since 1973. The convention calendar helped my business flourish in the 30+ years running shows.
Like I've said a million times, THANK GOD we have this wonderful brotherhood of hobbyists here on NET 54.
Have a great day everyone.
Your friend,
Bill Hedin
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Ticked me off also, and wouldn't you know they just sent me a renewal in the mail. Oops, must have dumped it in the trash!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I noticed that it looked about the same size as the Parade magazine that comes free with the Sunday newspaper.

It's even smaller now.
I saw one last Saturday at the book store, it's about the size of a comic book. I at first mistook it as one of those free real estate ad publications that are all over town.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
PeterB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
After almost 20 years I let my subscription lapse in December.

Exact same for me. I'm getting renewal notices in the mail, but I don't even open them. Feel bad, it was a great tool. But now in days with internet, it is just not worth the $$ where $$ is tight.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Dave

I don't know about a cash grab. I haven't been a subscriber for years but I still get desperate renewal notices from them, and the rates always seemed to be dirt cheap to me, probably not much more then enough to cover the shipping for them. Plus they were always trying to give out something free with the subscription.

All their revenue appears to be derived strictly from their advertisers.

Never re-upped because it hadn't been of any value to me in quite a long time and would just add to the clutter.

I'm guessing they're just trying to keep their head above water at this point. If they actually up the content and the quality in the issues they do put out, it can't be that big of a loss if you're just focusing on number of issues printed.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-2 Pitch View Post
The ripoff I alluded to is that rather than extend subscriber subscriptions by an equivalent number of issues because of the reduction in publishing frequency, they are simply saying that they will honor existing subscriptions through the end of the original expiration date. In other words, my current subscription will end at the same time my old 52 issue subscription would have, but with significantly less total issues.
As soon as I found out about the change and the presumed reduction in issues left on the subscription, I sent an e-mail to Tom Bartsch specifically questioning his statement, "your duration of your SCD subscription will be the same going forward. So if you have a year left on your subscription, that same time frame will carry over." I pointed out that my subscription expires in September and asked if this meant my subscription would still expire in September, but now I'd be getting fewer issues.

Bartsch responded almost immediately, literally within a matter of a few minutes...
Gary,
Thank you for your-mail. I don’t think I was clear in my editorial. I believe it is on an issue-to-issue basis, but will confirm and make clear to all readers. Thank you.

Tom
This was January 13 - two weeks ago. Problem solved... or so I thought, until I got to this part of 0-2 Pitch's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-2 Pitch View Post
I have sent numerous emails in protest to new editor Tom Bartsch. He is sympathetic, but has assured me that the decision is above his pay grade.
This leads me to believe that, as I originally inferred, our subscriptions will indeed expire when originally scheduled, with no extensions. And if "the decision is above his pay grade," I'd suggest contacting the upper management at Krause's parent company F+W Media. Unfortunately, the only e-mail address I could find on their website is contact_us@fwmedia.com, so a letter, via postal mail, to the top man might be the way to go:
David Nussbaum
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
F+W Media, Inc.
4700 E. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45236-2726
(Phone: 513-531-2690)
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Mike M.

Hi Gary,

Including Tom's responses to my request for clarification about the term of my SCD subscription for those interested. I don't think Tom (the new SCD editor) is a bad guy, or unwilling to help, he just comes off as someone in an organization who is not empowered to act on his convictions. Again, he has been sympathetic about my situation.

Re: Subscription Question
Thank you for your e-mail Mike. Regarding your subscription, it is for the term of your subscription and not on an issue-to-issue basis, unfortunately. That call is out of my hands. As for the price of a subscription to SCD, that stays the same to my knowledge. Thank you.

Thank you for your e-mail Mike. I will make sure your comments are passed along above me, with the understanding you are not along in your thoughts and actions. I can understand completely.

Tom

Given the numerous emails I have sent with no results (other than continued annoyance and frustration), I will instead communicate my disatisfaction with their policy by not renewing. Sharing my experiences with the good folks of Net54 has hopefully shed some unwanted light on F + W Media's lack of concern for doing the right thing by their subscribers.

I also subscribe to another F + W Media mag, Comics Buyers Guide. Not renewing my subscription to this mag will no doubt go unnoticed, but I will at least feel better about supporting the other hobby publications I subscribe to.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I know that everyone likes to bash SCD and I'm not in total disagreement. But, I still look forward to the arrival of each new SCD simply because there's nothing else out there to my knowledge that caters more to the vintage collector. Tuff Stuff was a rag and I am happy to hear of it's demise. Does anyone remember "Vintage Beckett"? I loved it. I really wish there were other periodicals out there that I could subscribe to that, again, are geared towards the vintage collectors. Since there are none (to my knowledge), I remain captive audience to SCD.

If anyone knows of any others please let me know. Seriously.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Rich Klein

Default Old Cardboard

Just google search
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Mike M.

One of my favorites is Old Cardboard - Great magazine done very professionally. Read it cover to cover in one sitting.

http://oldcardboard.com/

They publish very good e-newsletters too.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM

I love Old Cardboard too. Great magazine but it's only run quarterly.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

Default I Understand Everyone's Frustration

Years back when VCBC stopped coming I was pissed as hell! I had just renewed my subscription and was out about $50. The weird thing is that to this day, I never received, read, or heard anything about its demise or why they stopped making it. It just never came again and I certainly didn't receive anything about getting my $ back. The crooks stole my money!. I love getting Old Cardboard now, but do wish it came out more often, and I have to say that I didn't subscribe at first because I was afraid I might get burnt again like I did with VCBC.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Yeah, I would LOVE it if Old cardboard ran monthly. I wish there was another monthly vintage publication out there.