NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2015, 09:16 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Ethical to sell 1952 Mantle PSA 8 uncracked case

bidding at $100+ for fake card.....I would think throwing it out would be the right thing to do and not send it out...maybe the famous net54 fraud check guy will buy it..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncracked-PS...3D221640596138
Old 02-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Based on what i read- this guy bought a PSA 8 holder, that a 52 Mick used to be in. (after carefully reading) He puts a pic of the card inside it?
So, the folks are buying basically a holder with a pic of the card? or am i missing something?

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 02-14-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Based on what i read- this guy bought a PSA 8 holder, that a 52 Mick used to be in. (after carefully reading) He puts a pic of the card inside it?
So, the folks are buying basically a holder with a pic of the card? or am i missing something?
Not exactly. He claims the case originally held a Yzerman RC card and the case basically fell apart on him when he received it back from PSA. He then took pictures of a real Mantle card and a real Mantle flip and put them inside the case in order to fool his friends.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

What????????

"I took the case to the Nationals and had a dealer beg me to sell it to him for $68,000.00."

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2

Last edited by gregr2; 02-14-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is slightly interesting so I moved it from a BST section...not sure why it was there anyway, as it should have gone in the Pre-1980 Postwar section. Anyone else willing to pay 68k for a holder? Sounds like a pretty good deal.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
What????????

"I took the case to the Nationals and had a dealer beg me to sell it to him for $68,000.00."

Maybe the lighting was bad at that table. Happens.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM
Doug Chamberlain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
What????????

Me thinks this is the reason people are bidding, unfortunately it will pop up again somewhere with a wee bit heavier price tag on it.
Transaction thanks to: Andretti83, Beatles Guy, Bocabirdman, Brailey, Bryon Long, buckyball1, cincyredlegs, cparker94, dealme, deltufjp2, detroitbaseball, dougscats, drmondobueno, Edwolf1963, esiason14, familytoad, freakhappy, GehrigFan, grainsley, hangman62, JasonL, jschris, kamikidEFFL, KC Doughboy, LukeLyon, marslife, rainier2004, swohscs, tedzan, tinkertoeverstochance, vcuono, and more...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Maybe the lighting was bad at that table. Happens.
Zing!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Pathetic, truly.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffins View Post
maybe the lighting was bad at that table. Happens.
lmao
Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This is slightly interesting so I moved it from a BST section...not sure why it was there anyway, as it should have gone in the Pre-1980 Postwar section. Anyone else willing to pay 68k for a holder? Sounds like a pretty good deal.

wow I started a thread slightly interesting..thats the best so far!..

as to my question.......usualy when you see lots of lots of words and long storys in the seller description on an iconic card.....its usually shady.

I just question the holder getting into the wrong hands...who the heck else is buying it....the fact he says was offered 68k...

I just don't think fakes in legit holders no matter how well accurate the description shouldn't be for sale...... cant sell fake us currency for example that appears real even if you are accurate in a description...

would you want 1000 real holders out there that were bought by buyers knowing that the cards that would be put in there aren't accurately described in the holder?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:29 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdugdig View Post
Me thinks this is the reason people are bidding, unfortunately it will pop up again somewhere with a wee bit heavier price tag on it.

right watch out for a mantle psa 8 for 60% of the VCP sale price... (everyone keeps saying 60% is what fakes sell for in prior threads in examples) man just saved 150k+...except I wouldn't of paid that if the guy wanted me to pay by check and if Ian hasn't identified the alleged scam guy yet .....it would of been by paypal..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-14-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Pete Sycks

It's sad that people like this guy ruin ebay. We all know it's going to be some kid who stole his dad's paypal and thinks he's getting a $100k card without even reading the description. I bet he does that same thing with a Wagner or Ruth in the near future and steal another couple hundo.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-14-2015, 12:24 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:40 PM
Michael

Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but ... when I look at the scans in the listing, I see major league frosting in all 4 sides of the case. Does anyone else? Isn't frosting a sure sign of a tampered with case?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
wow I started a thread slightly interesting..thats the best so far!..

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, it was still in the wrong section.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but ... when I look at the scans in the listing, I see major league frosting in all 4 sides of the case. Does anyone else? Isn't frosting a sure sign of a tampered with case?
That's what I see. Whole thing is a joke
Old 02-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
...maybe the famous net54 fraud check guy will buy it..
Seriously - who would that be?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Jeff Lowe

That's nuts !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SquirrelCrazy.jpg (5.8 KB, 480 views)
Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

i sent the seller a message explaining how fraud could be facilitated by this sale.
He was kind enough to respond

I understand your concern. I no longer want the case for my personal collection. I started the auction off at .99 cents and let it end where it may. There are over 60 people watching it as of right now with 28 bids. I was as honest as I could be in the description and explained in great detail exactly what was being sold. In your professional opinion how would you recommend I sell this item. Thanks and God Bless!!

I responded to him as follows,

The listing has been posted on a message board I and many other collectors frequent. Collectively we have ongoing concerns about fraud in the hobby. Since both the holder and the Mantle photo have no intrinsic value, dollars spent for the holder imply that a buyer is looking to profit from spending hundreds to get it. Your watchers and interest in your auction probably spiked after the listing was posted on our and perhaps other messages boards. I can easily accept from your response that you are not engaged in fraud, but may be inadvertently facilitating it. The right thing to do in my opinion would be to discontinue the auction and destroy the holder.

We'll see what his response is.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 02-25-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

I sent him a message telling him he is a scammer and is assisting other scammers. I called him scum of the hobby. I expect no answer. He is pos for doing this.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplainer View Post
I sent him a message telling him he is a scammer and is assisting other scammers. I called him scum of the hobby. I expect no answer. He is pos for doing this.
Why does the baseball collecting hobby collect the most despicable people that walk the earth? It is just sickening.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Wouldn't taking a picture of a real flip and reusing it be construed as copyright infringement in the eyes of PSA? Potentially getting this guy into a lot of hot water?

If his National "story" was true, that guy should have taken the $68K and ran. If it was me, I would have blown it all on overpriced cocktails and Ferris wheel rides.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Wouldn't taking a picture of a real flip and reusing it be construed as copyright infringement in the eyes of PSA? Potentially getting this guy into a lot of hot water?

If his National "story" was true, that guy should have taken the $68K and ran. If it was me, I would have blown it all on overpriced cocktails and Ferris wheel rides.
I'm sure the National story is another lie. If psa was open , I'd call them myself. This is incredible. Thanks OP for making this aware to us.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:16 PM
De@n Fl!ck

Why would a dealer at the National offer $68K unless he miss represented it. It looks like he is saying it's good enough to fool a dealer.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Why does the baseball collecting hobby collect the most despicable people that walk the earth? It is just sickening.
It's pretty much a microcosm of society, no better or worse, in my opinion. For those of us that don't cheat and only want to have fun collecting (admittedly I do make some money from the hobby, but my first passion is collecting), it makes it challenging sometimes.

Last edited by Leon; 02-14-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
It's endemic to any line of business or other activity where money is involved, baseball cards are nothing special in this regard.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Ok. Reported it with ebay as fraudulent posting. Also sent email to PSA. That will be Tuesday. Did what I can. This really pisses me off. Big time.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Mike C@.v3

I can see where this sort of thing (empty Mantle flip) can be a collector's item, but unfortunately...it cannot be a collector's item because of the damage it can do to the hobby. I want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, but if he doesn't listen to Frank and take what he's saying serious, then it's obvious that he only cares about the amount of money he can gain from it.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It's pretty much a microcosm of society, no better or worse, in my opinion. For those of us that don't cheat and only want to have fun collecting (admittedly I do make some money from the hobby, but my first passion is collecting), it makes it challenging sometimes.
Leon, it's not about making money, it's about cheating people and makng money on them.

Cheating people is never right. I know that's not you meant Leon. This crap must be mèt head on and disributed. We must speak out and tell the truth. This guy is a scammer and supplies other scammers.
- Jimmy
Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

By usung an altered pic of the flip hes deff doing wrong by psa, and im sure they would want to know. I sent him an email too.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 02-14-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, it's not about making money, it's about cheating people and makng money on them.

Cheating people is never right. I know that's not you meant Leon. This crap must be mèt head on and disributed. We must speak out and tell the truth. This guy is a scammer and supplies other scammers.
- Jimmy
Cheating and fraud is never good. This board has been quite good, historically speaking, about rooting a lot of it out.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Id hope a few would report this seller to psa that is if it wasnt done already
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:12 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
i sent the seller a message explaining how fraud could be facilitated by this sale.
He was kind enough to respond

I understand your concern. I no longer want the case for my personal collection. I started the auction off at .99 cents and let it end where it may. There are over 60 people watching it as of right now with 28 bids. I was as honest as I could be in the description and explained in great detail exactly what was being sold. In your professional opinion how would you recommend I sell this item. Thanks and God Bless!!

I responded to him as follows,

The listing has been posted on a message board I and many other collectors frequent. Collectively we have ongoing concerns about fraud in the hobby. Since both the holder and the Mantle photo have no intrinsic value, dollars spent for the holder imply that a buyer is looking to profit from spending hundreds to get it. Your watchers and interest in your auction probably spiked after the listing was posted on our and perhaps other messages boards. I can easily accept from your response that you are not engaged in fraud, but may be inadvertently facilitating it. The right thing to do in my opinion would be to discontinue the auction and destroy the holder.

We'll see what his response is.
great email man....im glad I brought this to the boards attention.....and not wasting the boards time with my posts..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 02-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I reported to ebay and psa in the hopes someone dosnt get ripped off big time down the road from the new owner. Altering that flip is fraud. Kind of like me selling fake $50 bills on ebay and saying they are fake.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:54 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Really? - Ferris Wheel Rides?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Jimmy Knowle$

Here is his response to my message through eBay:

I never intended for the case to be sold for an insane amount of money. When I used the case to have fun with my friends I never tried to sell it. I do think there is some value to it just as a novelty item as i explained in my description. I completely understand your point that someone may try to use it in a fraudulent way but that never crossed my mind until others mentioned it. A scammer is always going to try and scam. Hopefully the message board and even other collectors can learn from this case and auction to really inspect a card and not just trust the case (PRO Grading is a prime example). I feel I was as honest as possible in the description and was very responsible with the case. A toy gun if misused can be utilized in the wrong way but toy companies still sell them. That is not the toy company's intent nor is fraudulent activity mine. I appreciate the conversation. Thanks
Old 02-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:

I never intended for the case to be sold for an insane amount of money. When I used the case to have fun with my friends I never tried to sell it. I do think there is some value to it just as a novelty item as i explained in my description. I completely understand your point that someone may try to use it in a fraudulent way but that never crossed my mind until others mentioned it. A scammer is always going to try and scam. Hopefully the message board and even other collectors can learn from this case and auction to really inspect a card and not just trust the case (PRO Grading is a prime example). I feel I was as honest as possible in the description and was very responsible with the case. A toy gun if misused can be utilized in the wrong way but toy companies still sell them. That is not the toy company's intent nor is fraudulent activity mine. I appreciate the conversation. Thanks
lmao - he sent me the same exact responce

Old 02-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdugdig View Post
this is exactly what I was thinking which is explains why its over $200 so far. Keep your eyes open at the National this year as this might be making an appearance.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Pete Sycks

"I am not trying to scam anyone. I went into great detail to be as specific as possible"

That's what he wrote me. What a joke.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Ok I am going to be different here. This has got to be the stupidest thread I have seen on Net54 in my short time being here. Seller is 100% saying it is a novelty item with the case not even resealed. Why the hell is everyone flipping out on this when we have real issues with scammers. Hell we even have scammers(yes more than 1) on this board now that for some reason people won't out.

The best part is some of the people posting how terrible this novelty item is use Problemstein to sell their cards.LOL

What next are you going to form a gang to harass fellow member Bob Lemke because he makes "custom" cards that someone could in the future try to scam someone with. Sorry Bob just using you as an example I like your and everyone else's custom cards.

Last edited by bnorth; 02-15-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Ok I am going to be different here. This has got to be the stupidest thread I have seen on Net54 in my short time being here. Seller is 100% saying it is a novelty item with the case not even resealed. Why the hell is everyone flipping out on this when we have real issues with scammers. Hell we even have scammers(yes more than 1) on this board now that for some reason people won't out.

What next are you going to form a gang to harass fellow member Bob Lemke because he makes "custom" cards that someone could in the future try to scam someone with. Sorry Bob just using you as an example I like your and everyone else's custom cards.
if I was selling fake $50 bills on ebay for $5, saying they were fake but looked real would that be ok?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
if I was selling fake $50 bills on ebay for $5, saying they were fake but looked real would that be ok?
Yes as long as they are advertised as fake/novelty it would be fine with me. Just like the 100's of listing for fake money on eBay right now. Actually I believe one of our members is selling fake/novelty cash on ebay now.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Ben, I think the big issue is this PSA case going into someone else's hands with different intentions than the sellers
Old 02-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
Ben, I think the big issue is this PSA case going into someone else's hands with different intentions than the sellers
I understand that issue but the exact same thing can be said about Bob's custom cards.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Is the mechanic who tunes up the get away car for a bank robbery a criminal?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I just think that "FAKING" the PSA flip - although he fully admits to doing so is wrong and probably illegal - and im sure PSA wouldn't like this card being sold like this and will hate it when this card gets sold for big money and someone finds out its fake

Old 02-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Roy W.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is the mechanic who tunes up the get away car for a bank robbery a criminal?
Can you prove the mechanic was informed of the details as to what the car was to be used for?.....

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Last edited by HappyJack41; 02-15-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

It seems like ethics and illegality are being mixed here and there. It doesn't seem to me that the ebay sale is illegal. As far as ethics, it seems that the seller has clearly stated the nature of the piece being sold which again I do not believe to be illegal. It is then a question of the seller to see the unintended consequences (fraud) which could come out of the sale. Actually some members obviously think those are the intended consequences. At any rate it is a good discussion from the perspective of the sellers responsibility.