NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Rich Klein

Default Sad News on Judy Burk

This is from an email John Burk just sent:

I hope he does not mind I share this with you all.

Both of them are very fine people

My wife of 41 years, friend for even longer, and collectibles partner is in extremely critical condition in a Pittsburgh hospital. During the past week, she suffered three heart attacks and a stroke. Your prayers for her will be greatly appreciated. Today I asked one of Judy’s nurses if she had ever seen a patient recover from the conditions that afflict Judy. She responded, “Take the miracle.” A miracle would be joyously welcomed. –
Old 12-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Rich,

Thank you for posting. I just received the same e-mail. My best wishes for Judy and John.

Brian Van Horn
Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Good, quality people. I wish them all the best.

Ken
Old 12-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Jay Cee

Known John and Judy for two decades now. Great people and they will both be in my Prayers. Best Husband and wife team I know in the hobby.

JC
Old 12-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I received the email as well, I wish them all the best!!
Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

They are both good people. I'll be rooting for Judy!
Old 12-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is very sad news. Judy is a great lady and John is one of the best in the hobby. I am very sad to hear this. Get better Judy, the world needs more good people. We are rooting and praying for you!!

Last edited by Leon; 12-20-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 AM
Al

Christmas is a time of miracles.. Prayers to John + Judy ...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Tom Boblitt

Very, very nice and gracious couple. Bought many many cards from them back in the day. Here's prayers and positive thoughts to them at a tough time.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Ted Zanidakis

During the Reading (PA) Philly Show days (2007-2008), my booth was set-up next to John and Judy Burk's booth. They are a wonderful couple a great tribute to this hobby.

May GOD Bless them with a "miracle" this Christmas Season. We are praying for you Judy and John.

TED Z
Old 12-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Doug Doremus

Prayers for Judy and John.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Jim Mac

Default Praying for a miracle..

May God strengthen you both during this time. Praying for a miracle for your dear wife.. Jim
Old 12-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Mark Rios

My best to you, and prayers.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Plenty of prayers coming your way
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

great people and hoping for the best for judy...

Joshua
Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Judy Burk Update

I just received the email below. Prayers for Judy, John and their family.

Many of you have written to say you are praying for Judy. Your prayers are greatly appreciated – and important. Others have indicated their support in other ways. Thank you.

On Wednesday, Dec. 9, Judy had a heart attack that was not diagnosed until Dec. 11. Her only symptoms were a fever, weakness in her legs and minor nausea that passed quickly. She thought she had the flu, or a virus.

When she had not improved by Friday, Dec. 11, we took her to the emergency room of a Pittsburgh hospital, where she was diagnosed with a “moderate” heart attack. She was admitted to the hospital, and on Monday, Dec. 14, catheterization revealed a 75 percent blockage in her anterior descending artery, a 90 percent blockage in a branch from it and a 90 percent blockage in an artery. Cardiologists debated stents vs. bypass surgery and then told us that stents would take care of her problem.

A stent was placed in the anterior descending artery and two in the branch artery the next morning, Dec. 15. I left the hospital that evening, assured that Judy was doing well and would be able to come home in a couple of days.

At 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 16, I received a call from the hospital saying that blood clots had formed in the stents. By cell phone, I reached Judy, who was terrified, as I drove to the hospital. I reached the hospital and was able to comfort her before the procedure began to deal with clots. As I understand it, the cardiologist who installed the stents broke up the clots with a wire. Afterwards, she was moved to a cardiac ICU unit. Approximately four hours later, she went into cardiac arrest and suffered a stroke. (The stroke was not discovered until 24-36 hours later.)

The three heart attacks – two in the hospital – and stroke have damaged every system in Judy’s body. She is comatose. The day after the cardiac arrest, she was able to open her eyes when her name was called and to move her right hand and foot and left hand when asked to do so. Since then, she has only been able to open her eyes. She does not respond to any “commands.”

Her heart has improved and is pumping almost as well as it did before the heart attack. Yesterday, she experienced a high heart rate and atrial fibrillation, which have now been dealt with, and today she needed medications to increase her blood pressure.

Her kidneys have improved, and she no longer needs dialysis. Her liver function has improved but is not yet normal. Her digestive system seems to be working adequately. (She is being fed through a nasal tube.)

I now find myself dealing daily with two medical schools of thought. One asserts that the longer she goes without waking up, the less likely it is she ever will. The other believes that if her systems below the neck can essentially return to normal and be stabilized, then her brain will have an opportunity to recover. They say her recovery could take weeks or months. Neurologists say they see nothing in her CT scans or MRIs to indicate that she cannot have a decent recovery. Effects of asphyxia remain unclear. Doctors claim she was without oxygen during the cardiac arrest for not more than a couple of minutes, but what oxygen the brain received when the heart was pumping weakly is unknown.

Judy’s medical condition changes daily. The key seems to be whether her body can become well enough and stable enough for her brain to have an opportunity to heal. She’s not there yet.

Judy and I have been married for 41 years, but that doesn’t seem like nearly enough time together. Recently we talked about how we wanted to spend our time from now, in our early seventies, until we reached 80. Whatever additional time we can have together will be a joy and a blessing. I hope you will continue to pray for her. -- John

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 12-29-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Al

John
Prayers sent!!!! Stay strong she will need you...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:40 PM

Default So nice to hear there is improvement!

Judy & John and many of you who are close friends to them,

My best wishes, thoughts, and prayers go out to all you and I'm so happy to hear that she is making progress. I know it is with reserved optimism that this news has been presented, but at least there is some improvement. I only met Judy and John a few times at the Nationals at their auction house booth, but in my discussions with them, they seemed like really great people. Here's hoping that John and Judy get to spend some more years together!!!
Tim Kindler
Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

John

Keep your head up and we will pray. Hopefully they put her into cooling coma to preserve brain function. My 15 year old daughter suffered a cardiac arrest 2.5 years ago and 10 minutes before shocked to normal sinus rhythm. It is a miracle and I know she was young, but they expected brain death. This year she sang on the Grand Ole Opry, and received a 27 on her ACT. Also was accepted into Belmont in Nashville and is graduating this spring. Please talk to her and let her know you are there. SHE DOES HEAR EVERYTHING and will remember. Do not lose hope and be positive. When my daughter first woke up and spoke to my wife.....she said "momma I didn't give up I kept fighting to stay here". THey know and I believe if your wife was only down a couple of minutes and organs improving she will come out of this. She can hear you so play music and keep talking to her. My family sends prayers your way.

Jason
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Daryl

Prayers have been sent up for Judy.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Prayers have been sent up for Judy.
+1

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 12-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Glenn

Default Sad News on Judy Burk

John, you have my prayers as well for Judy's full recovery.

Glenn
Old 02-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Any news on how she's doing?
Old 02-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Robert J. Miller

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
God Bless.
Robert
Old 02-20-2016, 04:31 PM

My best wishes to the Burks...

Ricky Y
Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Craig Wright

Default Update from John 2/25/16

Many of you have written to ask about Judy’s condition and to say you are praying for her. Your concern and prayers are greatly appreciated.
After two months and two weeks in a Pittsburgh hospital, Judy’s physical condition has improved, although it still has much improving to do. Her mental condition remains essentially unchanged.
Judy’s heart, liver and kidneys are functioning essentially normally. She still has a small amount of fluid in her lungs, which are working well. She continues to receive ventilator support, but recently has been breathing part of each day without the ventilator, for periods as long as 11 hours.
Since I last wrote to you, doctors inserted a feeding tube into Judy’s stomach. Unfortunately, the tube leaked into her abdomen, and doctors required several days of her spiking fevers to realize the leak was occurring. Likely as a result of erosion caused by the leaking material, a micro-hole developed in her colon. Doctors then had to perform an “ileostomy” to insert a tube, called a “J” tube, to feed her through her small intestine and rest the colon. They believe they hole has closed or, at least, diminished.
Judy’s nutrition is poor but improving. When the feeding tube leak occurred, Judy went for nine days without any nutrition, except some occasional sugar water. With the “J” tube, her nutrition is improving. Something called “pre-albumin” is a measure of overall nutrition. The bottom of the acceptable range of 18, and at least 20 is considered desirable. Since she started receiving “J” tube feedings, Judy’s level has risen from 6 to 8.
Judy remains more or less comatose. She continues to open her eyes, and when we mention the names of various friends to her, she opens her eyes wider. She does not follow commands and does not move. Lately, we may have seen her shift or focus her eyes somewhat, but she does not do so consistently, and we are uncertain. Hope remains that her brain will heal as her body continues to improve.
Many members of the hospital staff have been helpful and supportive. I have come especially to appreciation the compassion and medicine of one doctor. In a recent conversation, he said he is praying to a “higher doctor” to provide help for Judy that transcends his medicine.
Your continuing prayers for Judy’s recovery will be greatly appreciated. -- John
Old 02-25-2016, 05:53 PM
Al

Just read that also in my email. Prayers being sent to you John for Judys recovery!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:02 PM
A.J. Johnson

thoughts are with you! Hoping she has a speedy recovery!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Thoughts and best wishes to the family.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.