NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Brian K

Default '48 Leaf Wagner/Robinson - Print Variation?

Are these documented print variations, or just flukes? I have seen several representations of each of these, (Sans detail on Jackie's hat, and no color on John's left hand). Just wondering if these are on par with Aberson and Peterson variations. There was obviously 2nd printing of all the cards hence the other variations and the correction of the Hermanski error, but I have never seen these called out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 5.01.32 PM.jpg (21.7 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 4.57.16 PM.jpg (20.9 KB, 385 views)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:38 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Wouldn’t the yellow strip by the left side of Jackie’s card vs the absence of it be a variation?
Old 09-24-2020, 06:42 PM
Gobucsmagic74

A few different variations on the Musial also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948LeafMusial.jpg (78.5 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg 1948LeafMusial2.jpg (77.7 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg 1948LeafMusialPSA4.5.jpg (76.3 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 09-24-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:43 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Wouldn’t the yellow strip by the left side of Jackie’s card vs the absence of it be a variation?
Hmm good eye on that
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Are these documented print variations, or just flukes? I have seen several representations of each of these, (Sans detail on Jackie's hat, and no color on John's left hand). Just wondering if these are on par with Aberson and Peterson variations. There was obviously 2nd printing of all the cards hence the other variations and the correction of the Hermanski error, but I have never seen these called out.
Hey guys,

Jackie's portrait is slightly shifted to the RIGHT, resulting in that skinny yellow sliver along his right shoulder. Ditto for the Wagner card. The Yellow ink was one of the 1st colors printed
on these cards (in the 4-color process).

I've seen this effect on a number of these 1949 LEAF BB cards. This is not a variation, but simply a printing anomaly.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 09-24-2020 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Trey
Tr.ey Bu0y

It almost looks like that Robinson has a yellow strip on the outer edge of both shoulders. Seems like the image is slightly smaller, as opposed to a print shift. Maybe my eyes are failing me
Old 09-24-2020, 09:06 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey guys,

Jackie's portrait is slightly shifted to the RIGHT, resulting in that skinny yellow sliver along his right shoulder. Ditto for the Wagner card. The Yellow ink was one of the 1st colors printed
on these cards (in the 4-color process).

I've seen this effect on a number of these 1949 LEAF BB cards. This is not a variation, but simply a printing anomaly.

TED Z

T206 Reference
The variation in my mind is not the yellow stripe, but the lack of detail and in the hat, and the missing color from Wagner's hand. The Musial has similar issues with the hat, it is almost as if the plates were changed (or wore down as the detail was pretty fine) for the second printing?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:57 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Brian

The differences you're pointing to are simply printing variants. The LEAF cards are replete with such color differences.
Here are some examples in my set......

And then, there is BLUE or no BLUE.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

Hopefully this link works

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnK7duip0UvBxzpc...UZplq?e=YXqAtT

I made an excel spreadsheet with pictures of as many different 49 Leaf cards as I could find, and organized them by things like lines where bats or portraits meet the border, shading on hats, Bright magenta instead of red etc. They land in 5-6 distinct categories, perhaps more.

There are lots of small differences, and some transitional types where for example the hat is cut down away from the border on one color but not the other.

I don't think the spreadsheet is anywhere near complete.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Ch.ris_Hel.mers

Ted - I've never seen that middle, baby blue Musial variant....really cool card!
Old 09-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Brian K

Quote:
Brian

The differences you're pointing to are simply printing variants. The LEAF cards are replete with such color differences.
Here are some examples in my set......
Ted

I agree there are a TON of print variations, especially in regards to ink colors and plate order (typically black ink will always go down first). When a color block changes, like on the Aberson sleeves, that is a physical change to the blue plate. There had to be an actual replacement of that plate in order for the color block to change (short to long, long to short). I'm sure that there are more in the set than just the Robinson, Musial, and Wagner, but there are distinct plate changes as color block have changed or been removed. Or like that awesome Platt that you posted, some plates were totally missed! I guess my over arching question is should there be a designation for the difference like there is for Aberson and Peterson. Peterson is probably the closest to the Jackie/Stan change as part or all of the black plate detail was removed.

I'm fascinated by the prints, process and variations, being that I am a designer and do a ton of screenprinting. I mostly wanted to see if others thought that maybe the variations (outside of Hermaski) warranted a full designation, while the other changes don't?
Old 09-25-2020, 01:51 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Brian,

I love this thread you started.

If you look at the Post-war section, then you'll see that a few threads were started on this subject. It's very interesting, for sure.

I say YES, some of these print variations that we see should be given special designations. For example:

This is the most commonly found Jackie.

Now this one is the BLUE CAP variant. The black color is missing from his cap. This example is more difficult to find than the one above it, but it's not rare or anything like that. I also want to point out that the magenta found on his face is usually stronger for this BLUE CAP variant.

Again, this is a very interesting subject that very few collectors pay attention to. I think if you (or anyone) has the time to just sit around examining thousands of these cards, then a book could be written about it!

Oh, and by the way, I do have a Jackie, but it's the BORING one that I posted first. It's not a variant either. I would love to own the BLUE CAP variant someday.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:01 PM
Brian K

That's a good looking Jackie! I have a lower grade in the no detail version, and mine pales in comparison to your centering!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948_JROB.jpg (62.5 KB, 246 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 04:43 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Brian,

What you have is the BLUE CAP variant. And like I mentioned in my earlier post, the magenta is much stronger on this variant.

I don't own any of the examples that I posted above. I do have a PSA 4, but mine is the same variant as the SGC 6. I would like to own the BLUE CAP variant someday, but at the moment they are too damn expensive! I am hoping prices will come down in the future, but they might go the other way!

I'm going to take a wild guess here, but the BLUE CAP variant could have been a first printing. Afterwards, Leaf Gum Co. decided to make changes to the printing plates, colors, etc. I also think that certain variants should be priced higher than the others. For example, the BLUE CAP variant is harder to find, so it should be worth more. However, most collectors just care about one thing: the grade!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Ted

I agree there are a TON of print variations, especially in regards to ink colors and plate order (typically black ink will always go down first). When a color block changes, like on the Aberson sleeves, that is a physical change to the blue plate. There had to be an actual replacement of that plate in order for the color block to change (short to long, long to short). I'm sure that there are more in the set than just the Robinson, Musial, and Wagner, but there are distinct plate changes as color block have changed or been removed. Or like that awesome Platt that you posted, some plates were totally missed! I guess my over arching question is should there be a designation for the difference like there is for Aberson and Peterson. Peterson is probably the closest to the Jackie/Stan change as part or all of the black plate detail was removed.

I'm fascinated by the prints, process and variations, being that I am a designer and do a ton of screenprinting. I mostly wanted to see if others thought that maybe the variations (outside of Hermaski) warranted a full designation, while the other changes don't?

You could say LEAF's printers were sort of "sloppy". And, if we were to "nit-pick" on all the possible permutations due to color printing anomalies, we would have numerous variations.

Illustrated here are the 98 subjects in the 1949 LEAF set. And, there are three additional (legitimate) variation cards [Aberson, Hermansk(i), and Peterson].

This gallery of cards in the set is from my 8-page article in Old Cardboard Magazine (Issue # 9). Check-it-out if you are interested in being more informed on this LEAF set.

Note....
Card # is on the left. On the Right is the COPYRIGHT date (1948 or 1949). All 98 of these cards were issued in 1949. 1st Series in the Spring, and 2nd Series (SP) in the Summer.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

If you have Excel desktop, the spreadsheet I linked to has lots of these on it.

I really wish there was a way of sharing it that works easily. It won't email because it's a big file, and now Live won't open it. So downloading or opening with a desktop application is the only way.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:

Illustrated here are the 98 subjects in the 1949 LEAF set. And, there are three additional (legitimate) variation cards [Aberson, Hermansk(i), and Peterson].

All 98 of these cards were issued in 1949. 1st Series in the Spring, and 2nd Series (SP) in the Summer.

It amazes me that on a site for advanced collectors with so much information on the hobby that people still mislabel this set. Your article on the 1949 Leaf baseball set should be required reading.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It amazes me that on a site for advanced collectors with so much information on the hobby that people still mislabel this set. Your article on the 1949 Leaf baseball set should be required reading.

Hi rats60

I really appreciate your kind words.

PSA has perpetuated the "1948" myth since the early 1990's. In the mid-1990's, they were informed that this BB card set was strictly issued in 1949. But, they ignored this information.

Thanks again,

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-26-2020, 12:30 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeboo View Post
It almost looks like that Robinson has a yellow strip on the outer edge of both shoulders. Seems like the image is slightly smaller, as opposed to a print shift. Maybe my eyes are failing me
Oldeboo, you're a hundred-percent correct. The BLUE CAP variant is found with yellow bars on both of his shoulders. Leaf Gum Co. later corrected this and removed these yellow bars. Jackie's image wasn't shifted at all.

Now here is the corrected version below:

The yellow bars have been removed in the corrected version of this card. The image hasn't been shifted at all. Some black was added to his cap in order to give it a better shaded look. Furthermore, the magenta on his face was reduced.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

The reduced magenta was just going back to using red instead. There's a whole separate print run where they used the actual magenta - Yes, the very pink ones.

The ones with the extra bars come both normal and with bright pink.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The reduced magenta was just going back to using red instead. There's a whole separate print run where they used the actual magenta - Yes, the very pink ones.

The ones with the extra bars come both normal and with bright pink.

Steve, can you post some Jackies here and show us what you're talking about? Thanks
Old 09-28-2020, 08:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

Well, that was supposed to have an image... The IMG link is there, and it showed in preview....
Onedrive is apaprently mostly hopeless for sharing images.

Anyway, here's the image from my spreadsheet. I don't own any of these, but collected images from online. Some of the spreadsheet images are my cards, but mostly commons.

L to right
shaded hat no bars at the sides
Plain hat red/blue/yellow/black bars at the sides.
Plain hat Magenta/blue/yellow/black bars at the sides.

I can see I'll have to do some cropping to get it bigger.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Steve Birmingham

Ok, still small cropped, we'll do it the hard way.

shaded hat no bars

Unshaded hat regular red bars at sides

Unshaded hat bright pink bars at sides

A bit of pixelation here and there, wiht the images sourced from Ebay and auction houses and here the sizes and quality are variable. In the spreadsheet I resized most for consistency.

The Jackie is one of the tougher ones to spot the bright pink. I used the image I chose because the card is a bit out of register and has a random spot , both showing the pink more clearly.

On cards with red backgrounds or name boxes it's much easer.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Brian K

The color variations is so amazing as in NO QC for using ink colors that were remotely similar in many cases. I could be totally off base but I feel like the Jackie with the hat details came first and was changed after. I guess it is not unheard of that details would be added in by creating a new plate, but it is usually the other way around. I would make the same argument for Stan Musial, that the plate was corrected to let more red come through, and have less black printed. You can basically see the line that was masked to allow this to happen.

Thanks for all the great info, it has made going through my set and doubles that much more enjoyable.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Each color has its own plate.

removing stuff from a plate is easy, adding it to an existing plate is hard. (well, not hard if all you want is a line or to strengthen a small letter, you can just scratch that in. But adding shading is a new plate situation.

The colors would have been mixed by hand to get a particular shade that would reproduce the colors better. Black is pretty much always the same, but for one press run at least, they used the Magenta straight instead of mixing it to red.
Cyan was probably also used unmixed at one point. And yellow, but that's usually the first color printed, so it's the hardest to tell.

They were all on the same sheet as far as I know, so there should be differences on every card. I haven't counted, but I think I found maybe 1/4 of the different ones. At least three different main groups, plus some intermediate ones.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF cards

Quote:
Each color has its own plate.

They were all on the same sheet .....as far as I know, so there should be differences on every card. I haven't counted, but I think I found maybe 1/4 of the different ones. At least three different main groups, plus some intermediate ones.

Steve

This is true....here is an old photo (circa 1981) of an uncut sheet of 1st series cards. Along with a diagram of the card #'s on their backs.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 09-28-2020, 01:44 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I feel like I've run into a wall here:

The face color on the above four cards are all different. On top of that, we're trying to look at the bars/no bars + shaded cap/no shaded cap. This is getting tough! How would you guys break the above cards down?
Old 09-28-2020, 01:46 PM
Brian K

You guys beat me to it!! I was just typing a question about the plate placement of an uncut sheet.

Last edited by yanks87; 09-28-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Brian K

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
The face color on the above four cards are all different. On top of that, we're trying to look at the bars/no bars + shaded cap/no shaded cap. This is getting tough! How would you guys break the above cards down?
I feel like there are two versions, The shaded cap, and the all blue cap/yellow bars, with the shaded cap printed first. Super interesting. Thanks for pulling the side by sides.

The difference in face color speaks to the Print Variations that Ted references earlier in the thread.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:04 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

1 and 3 are the same, and both pink.

2 and 4 are the same.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
1 and 3 are the same, and both pink.

2 and 4 are the same.
Steve, would you say that 1 was at the beginning of the print run, and towards the end, the card started to look like 3? In other words, the pink color started to lose strength towards the end?
Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Steve, would you say that 1 was at the beginning of the print run, and towards the end, the card started to look like 3? In other words, the pink color started to lose strength towards the end?
That's a difficult question, the Magenta on 1 is very bright, while the Yellow isn't. 3 is the opposite.

Long stuff follows, short version is there are just so many variables It's not really possible to say for sure.

There are lots of things that can affect color like that. If the plate is dampened slightly less it will retain more ink.
On most presses the inking level can be adjusted.
There are a few things that can be done to stretch the available ink if for instance you have an hour left in the day, or you're on the last few hundred sheets but getting low on ink. All the ones I can think of would change the color slightly.

Humidity and temperature can affect how the paper absorbs the ink, how the ink goes on the plate etc. If the shop is consistent, it's not much different. But whoever did the printing for Leaf obviously wasn't into consistency..

Stuff like inking levels can indicate different press operators, some may run heavier than others. Typically you'd print one color on a particular day, for high production it would be over multiple days, and maybe multiple shifts.
The place I was at each operator typically used one particular press, but it's possible their plant assigned operators to certain jobs if it was a multi day thing, or that someone was out sick or hurt, and another operator took over.

I think a lot of what Leafs printers did was out of economy.
Over thousands of impressions, heavy inking uses more ink and cuts into the bottom line a little.
Getting rid of the side bars uses less ink.
Inking less heavily and maybe adding a touch of white ink to the yellow uses less, (white and black may have also been cheaper as the pigments are less expensive. )
In some ways not having the side bars looks a little better, and adding the hat shading makes it better still. And uses way less ink than the sidebars. (And very very little on the non-Portraits. )