NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Mr Jolly Elm is very sad right now.
Jolly Elm is a Weeping Willow
Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Mr Jolly Elm is very sad right now.
He's got the Deep Elem Blues....(only Grateful Dead fans or obscure music fans will get this).

Jeff
Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

I would absolutely block a buyer that returned as much as this.

I have bought hundreds of $ from BattersBox and never had a problem.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
He's got the Deep Elem Blues....(only Grateful Dead fans or obscure music fans will get this).

Jeff
Or Bobby Jackson. He recorded a version of this song in Clovis in 1957. It was issued on Gold - Air. It was then reissued Nationally on Brunswick 55026. How is that for obscure trivia! By the way, the other side of the record was Wow, Man!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
If I sent back 4 cards to the same seller in a short time span it would not surprise me that the seller might decide my business was too high maintenance to retain.
+1. For me, the time to buy older ungraded cards and expect them to receive a high TPG grade expired with the '90's--I used to do it then, purchasing at shows, and carrying a 16X power loupe to rule out trimmed cards by examining the edges.

Best of luck in your pursuit, though,

Larry
Old 07-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawlsian View Post
Ha, apparently the whole forum would block me too due to lack of patience which is not that uncommon in card dealers. Sorry to hear that, gents.

Only realized the block because they're having a sale and hey, I guess they don't want the marginal profit because entering a returned card back into inventory when 1) the customer pays to have the card graded and 2) pays return shipping is such a difficult thing to do...As for "abusing the return policy," when you put yourself out there as having a "no questions asked" return policy as a business and if you're netting $900 in revenue with whatever margin (30%?) within two months due to minimal inconvenience on the seller's part and when you get continual positive feedback and 5-star ratings from said transactions, such a decision just smacks of poor business judgment.

At the very least it's an unprofessional practice to block someone with no communication who repeatedly buys from you.

Anyway, so be it.
Respectfully, I don't think you get it re the business end.

Happy hunting regardless,

Larry
Old 07-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Steve

Unsubscribe
Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Rich Klein

I can understand why you wish to stop seeing the responses to this thread. Considering the overwhemling majority of the posters said they would not do any business with you after your OP, and your unwilingless to listen (unsubscribe), sounds like they have a point about you.

I think you would be far better off saving up your money and just attending the bigger shows in Piitsburgh and Cleveland so you can see the cards in person. That way, you can find cards which meet your standards with no questions asked and if you are not satisfied you don't have to buy anything.

Threads like this are why I'm a big fan of shows and stores and building interpersonal relationships and in person

Rich
Old 07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Steve

I think the thread is getting redundant, and, yes, while I did unsubscribe, I figured at least one last JollyElm would want to get a word in edgewise. So yes I have listened to what seems to be dealers piling on, Rich, and thanks for your totally unnecessary advice at this point in the thread. For the record, I have made less than 10 returns out of 1,000 or so purchases, so I will safely disregard irritating generalizations such as yours and move on.

Last edited by jrawlsian; 07-05-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Rich Klein

These are mainly collectors BTW not dealers who are making these comments. Just a quick clarification.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Steve

Quote:
These are mainly collectors BTW not dealers who are making these comments. Just a quick clarification.
I didn't make purchases from individual collectors, I made them from a dealer. The majority of responses are written from what people think a dealer would do, or what they would do in one-on-one private collector transactions. I would not deal with individual collectors the same way or even a dealer I trusted, or at least one that had the ability to communicate, unlike this one. Moreover the easy answer keeps getting posted based on knee-jerk reactions like "+1" over and over again. Enough is enough.

In response to the other guy above who was going on sanctimoniously about how wrong I am (when, to wit, I wasn't trying to get cards to be graded HIGHER than what was advertised, just AT what was advertised), the business motivation here that I don't understand is: To make as much money as possible on what amounts to overgraded material from the customers they feel like selling to who, incidentally, don't challenge them on their grading, with zero communication other than robo-feedback, with minimal hassle and constant solicitation of positive eBay feedback.

As a final point, I have never made a return to a private collector UNLESS IT WAS A COUNTERFEIT. Trollling (or overly didactic) responses only serve to worsten the sting because they (the dealer) blocked me so I am the only one who loses here. I was wrong in this situation but only got truly annoyed when no communication happened from the supposedly eminently justified dealer.

Finally, consider the source of the previous accusatory comments: "Look for our show listings in the Net 54 Calendar section." I regret asking about this topic in the first place due to the Jolly Elms of this thread but as I said in the "OP", I understood which way this was going to go from the outset and I said several times I got the answer from the community. Further personal attacks just show that the respondent is either illiterate or can't follow what I just said.

Last edited by jrawlsian; 07-05-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM
Al Richter

Default Winner

You win, we all give up. Congratulations. Now you can let it go

Tell us about what you like to collect

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-06-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Jason Albregts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
You win, we all give up. Congratulations. Now you can let it go
+1
Old 07-06-2015, 01:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I think the thread is getting redundant, and, yes, while I did unsubscribe, I figured at least one last JollyElm would want to get a word in edgewise. So yes I have listened to what seems to be dealers piling on, Rich, and thanks for your totally unnecessary advice at this point in the thread. For the record, I have made less than 10 returns out of 1,000 or so purchases, so I will safely disregard irritating generalizations such as yours and move on.
Perhaps instead of arguing with everyone in the thread, you should listen to the opinions dealers and collectors have provided.

I believe any seller would have blocked you in this situation, whether they sold one card per year on ebay, or 100k per month.

The suggestion to purchase cards in person from shows or shops, even if it came from a show promoter, appears to be a valid one for you. I would recommend giving it some consideration.

As a fellow PSA registry collector, I woud personally recommend sticking to cards that are already PSA graded if you're going to buy online.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Rich Klein

Even before I became a show promoter, I always stressed how beneficial it was to purchase cards when you can see them in person.

Even if it slightly self-promotional, and at $1 per attendee, I'm not getting wealthy on that front, there is something to be said for interpersonal interaction between buyers and sellers. I will also say that approximately 99 percent of our attendees walk out with cards for either their collector or for re-sale. The only collector I remember being shut out at the last show was a 19th century collector. For him, I think the National is where he needs to be.

I will also point out in the opinion scoreboard

Jolly Elm Trolls (JETS): 15

People who agree with OP: 1

OP: 1

It's truly rare when the Net 54 community ends up at almost 100 percent but you have accomplished that. Congratulations to you on that achievement.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 07-09-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Al Richter

Default JETs

Darren might appreciate having a whole team named after him.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I believe any seller would have blocked you in this situation, whether they sold one card per year on ebay, or 100k per month.
LOL! I blocked people for doing invalid bid retractions. Yea, I probably cut off my nose to spite my face, but I don't care! I'm selling cards for .99 cents on Ebay in world dominated by PWCC and Probstein. So, like someone else said, I block people for less. I know the OP doesn't want to hear it, nor does he care, but I would block him too. Life is too short to deal with issues.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:04 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Unsubscribe
Truly your own loss. If you could get over your own ego you would find that Net54 is one of (if not) the best resources for cards and memorabilia. I agree with others, perhaps in-person purchases are better for you in the future.

Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 07-07-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Even before I became a show promoter, I always stressed how beneficial it was to purchase cards when you can see them in person.

Even if it slightly self-promotional, and at $1 per attendee, I'm not getting wealthy on that front, there is something to be said for interpersonal interaction betweenn buyers and sellers.
+1.

As much as I like to peruse Net54 and ebay, nothing will ever beat going to a show and seeing all the cards right in front of you and where youcan get them in hand.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Rich Klein

Default Btw

Now that we agree that seeing cards in person is a good idea for many buyers I also want to say something else positive about Batters box in Houston.

Way back in the day, I used to work with one of their main people at shows (Paul S.) and he supplied us at Beckett with a complete checklist of the 1st series of the 1967 Venezuelan Topps cards. I had always wondered why the set began at like #111 or so and thanks to Paul's help we cobbled together a checklist which was then unknown to the hobby.

Included in the checklist were, if memory serves me correctly -- 1967 cards of Bobby Cox and Dave Concepcion, both issued far before their American Topps rookie cards.

Regards
Rich