NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Ouch

Gout

I loved the answer from Jantz, but just in case my wife stumbles across this message while searching for the t208 Eddie Plank she wants to surprise me with, I'm going with my original answer.

Gout is one insidious creature. I wouldn't even wish it on a Braves or Mets fan in the rare event they were in a pennant race with the Phillies.

Don't get gout. Just don't...trust me!!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

My lack of pain story is I ruptured my achilles tendon playing basketball when I was 26. I had always heard that rupturing the tendon was very painful and it didn't hurt that bad, so I thought I had twisted my ankle or something. After over a week when it was still swollen I went to the doctor who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. When the surgon learned how long I took before going to the doctor, and that I had been walking on it, he called me stupid.

On a side note, I later learned the surgeon had to retire from medicine because he became allergic to latex gloves.

Last edited by drcy; 02-05-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Barry Sloate

You'll appreciate this one Pete. I once had a wisdom tooth pulled, which was no big deal. But a couple of weeks later a bone started to push up through the gums and into the space created by the extracted tooth. That pain was dreadful. But it went away on its own. I had one miserable week.

And you know that test the urologist had you do? I've had it too, and it isn't fun. They slide a tube through the penis to take pictures of your prostate. And I was awake for the whole thing, because they need you to perform a few functions. Bottom line is the pain is bearable but it is really uncomfortable and really kind of scary. I've also had numerous catheters put in and they are not fun either, although they are not as painful as you might think. I've been healthy for the last couple of years but take quite a bit of medication. Prostate issues are not fun.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-05-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 AM
pete ullman

Thanks for sharing guys...my assistant and I have been talking about achilles issues lately...seems like it'd be incredibly painful to me! Remember the scene in Pet Sematary when the clown slices the guys achilles tendon? Yowza!!!!!!

Nice Jantz...I've avoided that one so far. Barry...I cursed up a melange of F bombs when they were probing my penis...dreadfully awful it was....never want to go through that again!

I'll pass on the gout too!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Nothing like those, but a couple times that were brief but difficult.

Dentist assistant putting the spike/scraper/ whatever you call it right into the big cavity I'd just said to not put the spike in. Bent the tool, and took it out myself. She's lucky she has quick hands. And by the way pain shouldn't come with smells and colors, but apparently it can.

Getting hit directly in the ear canal with a paintball. Big surprise, as I thought I was out of range. The paintballs were coming in slow and basically rolling at my feet. I turned to say something to the guy who ran the field and wham! The person who hit me said she'd been holding the co2 cartridge in her underarm and that was the first shot with the warmed gas. Hard to recall how much it hurt, but I do recall instant pain and then being on my knees having been standing.
The guy who ran the field was ex special forces and was really good. Grabbed my head and turned it to my good ear and said "Hurts like hell doesn't it? Go see my wife at the tent and she'll get that all cleared out. Do you need help walking? " A good cleaning and water to flush the paint out plus a free beer and I was fine. A bit muddled on the right for a couple days about as much as after a Metallica show. Maybe a bit of loss on that side, but not much.

Steve B
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 AM

When I was 15 I loved skateboarding. One day I was working on some tricks on my flat rail. I slid out on a grind and when I fell, I tried to put my left arm down to break my fall. All my weight went onto my arm and my elbow ended up bending back the wrong way. I broke every bone in my elbow and it killed. Luckily through some kind of magic the bone set itself after it broke and all they had to do was put a cast on. Doctor said that was probably the only time something like that would ever happen and usually I'd need surgery.

Other worst pain was when I was about 12 and playing manhunt. I was running on some wet grass and slipped trying to jump over a guard rail. My knee went right into the rail and I split it open. Had to get 13 stitches in 3 different layers and ripped the tendon.

I've had stitches and broken bones. I have to say stitches was 10 times worse.

Last edited by packs; 02-05-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Jason Albregts

Appendicitis. I still have flashbacks.