NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-02-2021, 05:53 AM

Default Can anyone help me find SCD back issues?

Not sure this is the right place to ask (brand new here) but I’ve been trying to find Spord Collector digest back issues and having a heck of a time finding them anywhere but eBay. Was wondering if anyone here had a direction they could point me; my kid and I have been on the hunt for a while, need some new leads!

This is an awesome forum btw, thanks for any help!

Chris

Last edited by cbradley221; 03-02-2021 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:11 AM

I've found far more of TTS or other earlier publications than SCD. in particular, I've been looking for the actual 25th anniversary issue. Found exactly one and the shipping on it was $30. I asked the seller, he confirmed. $30.

Be careful reading any postings for SCD 25th anniversary issues for sale. Most likely it's the card that came in the shrink wrap, not the actual issue, and not all postings are worded clearly.
Chuck
Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 PM
Steve Birmingham

30 sounds pretty high for shipping, but they're a big magazine that for a while was also pretty heavy.
They have to ship priority, as anything with ads can't be sent media mail (with a couple exceptions like books with a page advertising other books)

A friend sent a magazine from the 1890's by media, and it was sent back to him for more postage. When he pointed out that any ads were well over 100 years old and that nearly all the companies were out of business long ago they said it didn't matter, ads are ads...
Old 03-05-2021, 11:32 PM

I have a copy of the 25th anniversary issue and can offer it for $30 delivered.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:25 AM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
30 sounds pretty high for shipping, but they're a big magazine that for a while was also pretty heavy.
They have to ship priority, as anything with ads can't be sent media mail (with a couple exceptions like books with a page advertising other books)

A friend sent a magazine from the 1890's by media, and it was sent back to him for more postage. When he pointed out that any ads were well over 100 years old and that nearly all the companies were out of business long ago they said it didn't matter, ads are ads...
This happened to me also. I sent a book and a magazine in the same package to someone using media mail. The recipient had to pay for priority shipping upon delivery because of the magazine.

I also have had media mail packages searched after dropping them off at the post office. The recipient would contact me to let me know.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:08 AM
John De Bord

Default I really wish

The entire library of SCD from say 5 years ago to the first issue were digitized.
Reading material for hours. You can add Baseball cards Magazine & Baseball Hobby News to that list too.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

How are they available?
Is there a paywall?

And... did they scan all the ads too?
Old 03-13-2021, 10:56 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
How are they available?
Is there a paywall?

And... did they scan all the ads too?
He made the title "I really wish . . ."
So it hasn't actually happened yet. I misread his post at first too.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
This happened to me also. I sent a book and a magazine in the same package to someone using media mail. The recipient had to pay for priority shipping upon delivery because of the magazine.

I also have had media mail packages searched after dropping them off at the post office. The recipient would contact me to let me know.
Every Media Mail package is supposed to be inspected before it is mailed. At the delivery office, if the package doesn't have the inspection sticker attached from the mailing office, the delivery office is required to open the package for inspection. You wouldn't believe how many people are sending car parts, baseball cards, food, and other items by Media Mail. If so many people weren't cheating, the packages wouldn't need to be opened.

As far as the old magazines, the ruling by the USPS mailing requirements office is that vintage magazines, with most of the ads no longer relevant, are eligible for Media Mail rates. Unfortunately, the USPS didn't define a cut-off date. Is it pre-1980? pre 1970? Who knows?

Back to Media Mail. Why does the PO even have this category? It was put in place 100 years ago when the only media around was books. In fact, it was called book rate at the time. The PO loses around $1 on every Media package that is mailed.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbradley221 View Post
Not sure this is the right place to ask (brand new here) but I’ve been trying to find Spord Collector digest back issues and having a heck of a time finding them anywhere but eBay. Was wondering if anyone here had a direction they could point me; my kid and I have been on the hunt for a while, need some new leads!

This is an awesome forum btw, thanks for any help!

Chris
What are you looking for? I have a ton of them from issue 1, lots of issues (even entire editions) from the late-70's and early 80's. They're fun to look at but entirely impractical for someone in a small apartment. I got rid of many of my late-80's and 90's issues because I couldn't justify paying to move them from the East Coast to the West Coast. Wouldn't mind letting them go for reasonable cost to a loving home.

SCD is a great history of the hobby.