NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Default RMY Auctions May Collectors Auction Closes Tonight (4-15)

Happy Tax Day!

Our Monthly Auction closes tonight (4-15) featuring over 300 lots of vintage photography, including some phenomenal images that have never been offered or seen before. There is still plenty of time to register as it takes only a few minutes.

www.RMYAuctions.com

Make sure you click to be added to our mailing list as our June "Premier" Auction will be the finest assemblage of vintage press photography ever offered to the public.

Have some fun browsing the auction and spend that Tax Refund before your wife finds out about it
Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

I know I shouldn't be bumping this thread, but...

YOU MO-FO's NEED TO LAY OFF MY STUFF!!!!! I don't have deep pockets, but they are kind of wide.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

The prices on everything that I had placed bids on so that I could seriously look at in extended bidding is going higher than I thought it would. Even looking through RMY history it looks like prices for certain subjects are bringing in top dollar. I am new to photographs so there may be things I am not factoring (like photographer) but there seems to be some strong interest in this auction.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I know I shouldn't be bumping this thread, but...

YOU MO-FO's NEED TO LAY OFF MY STUFF!!!!! I don't have deep pockets, but they are kind of wide.
Did you end up getting what you wanted last night? I hope I wasn't the one bumping you up. I did get a few I wanted, but lost out on more than I won. I just ended up making the winner of a lot of lots pay more, but not being able to go higher than them.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Did you end up getting what you wanted last night? I hope I wasn't the one bumping you up. I did get a few I wanted, but lost out on more than I won. I just ended up making the winner of a lot of lots pay more, but not being able to go higher than them.
Thanks! I won 7 items, including my primary target, and only two of them got bumped up after I went to bed (1:00am Eastern). That cost me another $80 that I thought was ridiculous, but I realize that once a bidder loses a high-end item or two, they go back and start trying to spend their money. Besides, Rhys' buyer premium is very low and I only hit 75% of my ceiling bids.

I was the underbidder on a few tremendous items: 1936 SF Seals practicing with the bridge in the background, Dimaggio as a rookie, Van Oeyen Medwick. I had planned to snipe the Edd Roush, as I'm fairly certain it's a Conlon, but ran out of steam.

My favorite photo in the auction was the 'Moses Yellow Horse'.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Thanks! I won 7 items, including my primary target, and only two of them got bumped up after I went to bed (1:00am Eastern). That cost me another $80 that I thought was ridiculous, but I realize that once a bidder loses a high-end item or two, they go back and start trying to spend their money. Besides, Rhys' buyer premium is very low and I only hit 75% of my ceiling bids.

I was the underbidder on a few tremendous items: 1936 SF Seals practicing with the bridge in the background, Dimaggio as a rookie, Van Oeyen Medwick. I had planned to snipe the Edd Roush, as I'm fairly certain it's a Conlon, but ran out of steam.

My favorite photo in the auction was the 'Moses Yellow Horse'.
That Van Oeyen Medwick went to me. I really liked the image and kept going back and forth on if I was wanting to go higher.

As a side note when I was trying to decide if I wanted to go higher I was looking through your photos on ebay and your web page and decided that I really didn't want to pass up on the Medwick...

I also ended up with the 1920 Larry Doyle and 1926 Chick Hafey.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 04-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
That Van Oeyen Medwick went to me. I really liked the image and kept going back and forth on if I was wanting to go higher.
So it WAS you who bumped me. Well, if you have a change of heart at some point, keep me in mind.

I'm curious why the big boys let me have that Walter Johnson so cheap - it's the image used for the cover of Henry Thomas' Johnson biography and also in this ill-advised Topps card, plus he apparently liked to use it for signing (I found a Legendary version, as well as a Sotheby's/SCP). Not sure who the photographer is - looks Conlon-ish, but given the NEA backstamp, possibly Van Oeyen.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-16-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I forgot to mention that the 1936 Dimaggio with children was on my list of pictures I kept bidding on. The year didn't matter to me as much as the children in awe of him in the photo. When I couldn't decide on the Medwick the DiMaggio was the other image I was trying to decide to bid on or not. In the end I really wanted the action photo.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
So it WAS you who bumped me. Well, if you have a change of heart at some point, keep me in mind.

I'm curious why the big boys let me have that Walter Johnson so cheap - it's the image used for the cover of Henry Thomas' Johnson biography and also in this Topps card. Not sure who the photographer is - looks Conlon-ish, but given the NEA backstamp, possibly Van Oeyen.

I am not a big boy, but I did bump this one as well. In the end the quality of the photo made me not want to go higher (the image was nice but the photo looked like it got wet at one point). I am too new to photos to know if it could have been worth it in the long run.

There was a rookie image of a HOFer I won in a previous auction that was used for a baseball card (albeit obscure card) and got it less than $100. So when I find myself paying more than $100 for an image I find myself hesitant (wondering if maybe it isn't as rare or nice as I thought).
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Not wet - silvering and light crop marks. There is a spot behind his head that looks a little funny, but if you compare to other prints of the same image, it looks like it was the way the photo was developed. I've watched a friend work the shadowing on negatives I provided, getting similar improved results (on the others, not mine).
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Not wet - silvering and light crop marks. There is a spot behind his head that looks a little funny, but if you compare to other prints of the same image, it looks like it was the way the photo was developed. I've watched a friend work the shadowing on negatives I provided, getting similar improved results (on the others, not mine).
It was that little shadow and the back waviness in the paper that made me think that. That is where my ignorance comes in. You have dealt with these images a lot more than myself. That cut corner also bothered me, maybe it shouldn't but it did (not enough to no want it, just enough to call it quits when I did).
Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
It was that little shadow and the back waviness in the paper that made me think that. That is where my ignorance comes in. You have dealt with these images a lot more than myself. That cut corner also bothered me, maybe it shouldn't but it did (not enough to no want it, just enough to call it quits when I did).
I don't mind the cut off dark corners so much - rather than mat them out, I can create a filler piece to tape to the mat. This photo will probably be the one I frame with my Johnson autograph. I have a bunch of Johnson photos, but was looking for a large one that was just right. The fact that Johnson himself liked to use the image for signings (I've found three now) influenced me as well.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-16-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
I don't mind the cut off dark corners so much - rather than mat them out, I can create a filler piece to tape to the mat. This photo will probably be the one I frame with my Johnson autograph. I have a bunch of Johnson photos, but was looking for a large one that was just right. The fact that Johnson himself liked to use the image for signings (I've found three now) influenced me as well.
I will say that him not being a Cardinal may have swayed me away as well. I will be looking for a Walter Johnson in the future though.

So did anyone else get something last night? I really liked the Mel Ott photo doing autographs, but it soared very quickly to a price that astonished me and was way outside my current photo budget (most money still goes toward cardboard).