NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 AM
Greg Mitchell

Default Info on Pop Report Issues, Here in One Place

Much has been said about this scattered about so I thought I would ask key questions here to get best expert facts in one place. This seems to be an increasingly key issue as more t206 people seem to base collecting of certain issues on the pop report numbers. So here goes. Note: This does not take up separate issue of good cards that have never been graded.

1) When exactly did PSA and SGC starting breaking out the t206 backs on pop reports? I've seen references to everything from four years to 10 years. Surely this can be nailed down.

2) Did they always keep track internally but not break out for public, and then added to pop numbers when they did go public? For example, with very rare backs? Or did they literally never track that at all. Also: If they now see a card with back they haven't listed up for sale somewhere do they ever go in and add to pop report?

3) PSA lists number of cards with no back info so you can get some idea of what is not in pop reports. I don't see that with SGC. Does that exist?

4) Despite warnings that "highest graded" might very well not be "highest graded" how often does it seem that unlisted higher graded cards turn up? Seems like it does not deter many people.

Feel free to raise any other facts. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Good idea to consolidate this topic. The only real input I have for those relying on pop reports is that it could help if those of us who remove cards from slabs, turn that information back in to the tpg(a high percentage can be found on this forum). I think actually sending an image of the label, copy of the label or something to ensure it was actually busted out would be necessary. It doesn't fix the pop report problem, but it does add another layer of accuracy to it.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

I think SGC tracked brands nearly from the start. What they didn't track was the poses, so earlier ones won't indicate wether it's a portrait or action pose.
For example My O'Leary portrait is the highest graded SC 350 portrait at 80, but there isan 88 available online from before they tracked the poses, and an 84 with an unknown pose.

There are a handful of T206s in their pop report that are listed very oddly, including 12 with a player name of "*" ( 2 hindus, 1 polar bear, 1 Sovereign "holding bat", 7 sweet caporal and 1 Broadleaf) I'm not sure what's up witht those, maybe test items that never got removed?

I'm pretty sure there are typos as well. I just can't believe there are 10 T210s that graded 100 If I'm wrong about that I'd really love to see one of them.

I'm not familiar enough with PSA.

Steve B
Old 05-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Greg Mitchell

Any more answers to my questions, gentlemen? Seems like important ones in this day and age.