NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
My grandfather - who said he saw Mathewson pitch - explained his legend to me long before I understood the Merkle saga. Plus there's something iconic about that image (the black cap version). Cards issued the season after the Merkle play now carry a certain grimness for me.

As to the Collins proof it's a great card and I'm fortunate to have it. But I'm convinced they pulled it because it looks like he's melting. It's almost as bad as Spike Shannon.
Keith, I loved the show, even if I didn't always agree with you. I'm glad to hear that you'll be doing a studio show during the playoffs. I hope that you'll post some more about the T206 set.

See you at the national.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 AM

Very cool answers by Keith...enjoyed the read!

Ricky Y
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Guys- I have known Keith a little bit through this board and my little auction house. I had emailed him and asked if he would comment on this thread and he obliged. For folks to come on and give their views of him politically, or any other way than the hobby, is something I would have hoped wouldn't have happened. I know Keith has very thick skin so it's not a big deal. I doubt I agree with him politically too, but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Guys- I have known Keith a little bit through this board and my little auction house. I had emailed him and asked if he would comment on this thread and he obliged. For folks to come on and give their views of him politically, or any other way than the hobby, is something I would have hoped wouldn't have happened. I know Keith has very thick skin so it's not a big deal. I doubt I agree with him politically too, but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.
Well said.

Rich
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Steve Birmingham

Now that we know which three, personally I'd like to know why. That's the part I find most interesting.

I like his choices. Whenever someone picks the non-obvious or non-standard stuff I just know there's been some thought behind it. Going with the Wagner, Cobbs, etc is cool, but picking what most people would think of as somewhat nondescript commons is interesting.

I'm partial to all the ones with the more elaborate backgrounds especially the sunsets. If I could pick only three, I think I'd go with
Conroy with bat- Just a great composition, and a hint of sunset.
Ewing- Another one that to me just works well as a picture.
And Jennings. Either one. Getting the exuberance is tough in a photo, crossing it from a photo to a bit of commercial illustration is tougher. And especially with the two hands showing I think whoever did it really got it right.

Steve B
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Now that we know which three, personally I'd like to know why. That's the part I find most interesting.
I asked KO the same question via Twitter and did not get a response. No big deal as I am sure that he gets quit a few Tweets to his account. Personally, I like the T206's where the players have different poses than what you see with most cards in the set. That is what attracted me to the Clyde Engle card.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Very cool for KO to come on here to share his thoughts as his collection is epic!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.
well said.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Hank

Default KO

One of the first cards we sold online when we opened the shop was to KO. I respect his knowledge and insight about the hobby. No matter what our political views, religion, or opinions we all have one thing in common on this board...we love to collect sports cards...and to me, anyone else who shares this passion is considered a friend in my book.

Happy Collecting!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitysportscards View Post
One of the first cards we sold online when we opened the shop was to KO. I respect his knowledge and insight about the hobby. No matter what our political views, religion, or opinions we all have one thing in common on this board...we love to collect sports cards...and to me, anyone else who shares this passion is considered a friend in my book.

Happy Collecting!
+1
Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
The three overall favorites? If you have a Wagner and don't say "Wagner" it should be taken from you. ko
Just glanced over this and thought the above was very funny.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Keith is one of the most knowledgeable, passionate collectors I know. He has no trouble separating politics from baseball cards; perhaps you should act in the same manner.

Proudly submitted by Jay Miller
+1

Thanks Jay.
JimB