NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 12-27-2023, 03:14 PM

Default Questions re: 1977-78 Topps basketball

Forgive me if this has been covered - I searched but didn't see anything. Two questions: is there any difference in value between the two (dark/light) backs? And if I wanted to sell a set of these, would buyers be expecting all the backs in the set to be the same, or would a mix be just as good? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-28-2023, 02:50 PM
Alan Elefson

There was a post about this a couple of years ago I think but I do not remember the title. If I remember the post and the few responses correctly, there is no premium for either back although the lighter one is very slightly less common. I also believe that any responses indicated that having the backs all the same is a personal preference but not worth an extra premium.

I hope I summarized the older post correctly but I might have remembered it wrong. I hope others chime in also.

Alan
Old 12-28-2023, 07:35 PM

The white backs are WAY MORE common than the dark gray backs but this set is so unpopular there isn’t much of a premium for the dark gray backs. There are six recurring print error partially missing black ink cards in this set including Nate Archibald missing his entire name but they have never caught on. I pick them up whenever I run across them.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:24 PM

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
Thanks for the help.
Just out of curiosity, what is the ratio in your set? I wouldn’t be surprised if some sets are mainly dark gray backs because of how each color back was distributed regionally where someone bought packs in 1977-1978.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:54 PM
Al Stein

I just looked at my backs. I never realized there were different backs until I saw this post. About half my cards have white backs, the rest have off-white backs. I don't have any dark gray backs.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I just looked at my backs. I never realized there were different backs until I saw this post. About half my cards have white backs, the rest have off-white backs. I don't have any dark gray backs.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I probably shouldn't say dark gray but the gray's are noticeably different than the white's. I got these scans from Dean's Cards, they currently have twelve white back Nater's and one gray back Nater. If you pick any card and do a quantity search on eBay, COMC, or Dean's Cards it will usually be ten or more white backs to one gray back in ratio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77 nater wb.jpg (151.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 77 nater gb.jpg (120.8 KB, 97 views)
Old 01-10-2024, 09:06 AM

If anyone cares, here are four of the six recurring print error partially missing black ink cards from the set, the other two are John Havlicek and Gail Goodrich. I have never found any of them with gray backs. Archibald is completely missing his name, Nater and Wilkes are missing their cities, and Burleson is missing his position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 77-78 archibald.jpg (195.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 77-78 nater.jpg (175.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 77-78 wilkes.jpg (195.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 77-78 burleson.jpg (195.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 08:40 PM

I put together a gray back set a few years ago and I'd say that there seems to be a ratio of at least 5:1 or greater white backs to gray backs. Sometimes it seemed more like 10:1. At the time i thought i detected some signs of a slight premium on the grays when buying from COMC.

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 03-02-2024 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My Archibald error:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...