NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-29-2020, 09:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Trimmed 91 Topps Stadium Club Griffey?

I was following this card tonight and noticed how much of the far right bat is missing from the PSA/PWCC card compared to my 2 copies that I purchased back in 91 that went straight from the pack into recessed screw downs.

Always wondered, with these borderless cards, how do they determine if a card is centered perfectly or not?
PSA/PWCC copy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Stadiu...p2047675.l2557

One of my copies below.

Last edited by irv; 12-29-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:36 PM
J@RR0D

I don’t think it’s trimmed for two reasons:
-It fits the slab perfectly.
-There is more of the image on the left than in your two examples. Look where the grey line hits the Stadium Club logo.
I think they’re just centered differently. But as you asked... What actually IS centered on these??
Old 12-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's just a centering issue, these were cut differently. I think the Jeter rookie Stadium Club card has the same variance.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-30-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:02 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I don’t think it’s trimmed for two reasons:
-It fits the slab perfectly.
-There is more of the image on the left than in your two examples. Look where the grey line hits the Stadium Club logo.
I think they’re just centered differently. But as you asked... What actually IS centered on these??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's just a centering issue, these were cut differently. I think the Jeter rookie Stadium Club card has the same variance.
Cardsagain74 (John) also brought it to my attention last night that in the PSA/PWCC one, there is more of the "S" showing on Griffey's cap than there is on the one of mine. I guess, when it comes right down to it, there likely isn't a real set of guidelines to go by with centering on these cards?
Initial thoughts, when I seen the PWCC one and compared it to mine, it was definitely trimmed.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:42 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Cardsagain74 (John) also brought it to my attention last night that in the PSA/PWCC one, there is more of the "S" showing on Griffey's cap than there is on the one of mine. I guess, when it comes right down to it, there likely isn't a real set of guidelines to go by with centering on these cards?
Initial thoughts, when I seen the PWCC one and compared it to mine, it was definitely trimmed.
I think we are in big trouble if Stadium club Griffeys are getting trimmed lol
Old 12-30-2020, 01:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I think we are in big trouble if Stadium club Griffeys are getting trimmed lol
I agree with what you're saying but nothing would surprise me anymore.

I also think, if one decides that they are going to try the trimming/doctoring/grading thing, they aren't going to start out on an expensive and/or rare card to see if they are successful enough to sneak one past the TPG's.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:49 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I agree with what you're saying but nothing would surprise me anymore.

I also think, if one decides that they are going to try the trimming/doctoring/grading thing, they aren't going to start out on an expensive and/or rare card to see if they are successful enough to sneak one past the TPG's.

Excellent point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here's mine if you want to compare, it was worth about 25 bucks as a 10 when I bought it so I seriously doubt it's trimmed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griffey91.jpg (78.9 KB, 111 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Here's mine if you want to compare, it was worth about 25 bucks as a 10 when I bought it so I seriously doubt it's trimmed.
Thanks Peter.

I loved these cards when they first came out but, IIRC, this was at the height of the boom and its sudden collapse?
I never thought I'd see the day where these cards entered the market and actually received some hobby love.
This is another Griffey favorite of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ken Griffey JR Topps Stadium Club 91.jpg (72.4 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by irv; 01-01-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

I like this one as it captures Griffey's mild rebellious side. This is actually a fairly rare variation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griffey92.jpg (40.5 KB, 72 views)