NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-24-2020, 08:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default 1991 Score

Funny article.

https://march.com/crackingacase/
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
And that article, explains with some humor, why the autograph and the Donruss Elite and other tougher very early 90's inserts/autographs retain their value.

They were just real tough to pull then and just as tough 30 years later.

Rich
Old 12-24-2020, 09:24 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Humorous article that illustrates why all our dreams of becoming baseball card billionaires did not come to fruition, despite all the unopened boxes of (insert card company) we stored away in our closets approximately 30 years ago.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

There were 7 cards in that set, and I think all of them came autographed. So they guy can multiply his case count by 7, right?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:20 PM
Rich Klein

John:

There are either signed or unsigned. There was also a 7-card promo pack (I think those are the ones numbered to 5000) sent to all sorts of Dealers and Hobby Media.

I'm curious as to how many unsigned Mantles he got out of the case. I don't think I saw he said any were pulled unsigned from the case either.

https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,=1991+score+mantle~5c for a Mantle breakdown. I suppose I could check on EBay as well.

Rich
Old 12-25-2020, 12:25 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Laughing out loud. Too funny. Makes me glad I was mostly absent from the hobby during those days. I’d pick up a random pack now and then but missed all that craziness thank goodness. Although today’s collecting world seems somewhat similar to that with so many brands, sub brands, inserts and the like. I’m still just collecting sets I like just like in the old days. If I get an insert that’s great but it’s not the point for me.
Old 12-25-2020, 02:08 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Great adventure and article. The good side is that those cards now burn easier in your woodstove since they have been freed from the plastic pack of 30 years.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-25-2020, 06:28 PM

Great article - loved it. I'm taking a break from my pricier collecting interests and re-acquiring my junk wax sets I put together back in the day and just did 1991 Score. I think you needed a case just to complete either of the 2 series. Collation was atrocious - one box made about half a series, the second box got me about half of the remaining cards, third box got me half of what I still needed. Thank God for Beckett.com.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:47 PM
Sean McGinty

This brings back a good Christmas memory for me actually. I got a box of Score Series 2 for Christmas in 1991 and I remember pulling a Mantle out of it in our living room (I was 15 at the time) and going bonkers.

It wasn’t one of the autographed ones unfortunately, they also put a bunch of unsigned ones in, but even those were hard to pull. Can’t believe that was almost 30 years ago!
Old 12-28-2020, 08:06 PM
Dave L.

Nice write up.

Those dream team cards were creepy. Why the hell did we need a shirtless Kirby Puckett?

Also was Score the only baseball card brand that ever came packaged in that sealed stretchy plastic? I don't remember 1988 but they were wrapped that way 89-92 at least.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywombat View Post
Nice write up.

Those dream team cards were creepy. Why the hell did we need a shirtless Kirby Puckett?

Also was Score the only baseball card brand that ever came packaged in that sealed stretchy plastic? I don't remember 1988 but they were wrapped that way 89-92 at least.
Yeah - they were like that in 1988 as well. As far as I can recall they were the only company to use that sort of packaging.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:33 AM
J@RR0D

In the past decade I've bought two cases of 1991 Score Series 2. No signed Mantles, no unsigned Mantles, and not even one single dead-centered Chipper Jones rookie. Junk wax indeed (except plastic).