NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge Proof On Ebay

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Not mine. I went back in the archives and read how easily something like this can be faked and wondered what everyone was thinking on this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5180082120&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

And I was wondering what people were thinking on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57993&item=5176969122&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

--Skimmed card? Proof?

Old 03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I'd be more concerned that sue7891 is seller and that suesvoices is the high bidder. Seems to be a very obvious shill bid that I would bet is just a dollar or 2 below reserve.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I dont think its a shill Jay just for the simple reason that Suesvoices is a well-known old judge collector and if both ebay IDs were the same person,they would use the better known name to sell.

I know suesvoices reads this board,they posted here before and they have a webtv email address.This seller doesnt,they have hotmail and yahoo according to their auction

I thinks its just purely a coincidence.Ive talked to him in person once and thru emails and hes a very nice guy

Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Is a very reputable gentleman. I have done a fair amount of business with him.....regards

Old 03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

that's cool. Just found it very odd that the seller and high bidder both having sue in their handle since there aren't a whole lot of women buying on eBay outside Tammy letting her husband bid for her . No one has ever accused scammers (not claiming the seller is) of being too smart, so simislar handles to sell and shill with wouldn't be surprising.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Jay--Now, is it time to admit that we are really the same person?

Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Old Judge: It's not a proof, it's a print and certainly look to me were made from the original negatives. It really is a shame the greed in this hobby has done to these prints. I have seen a few and the quality of the images is amazing and are impressive in their own right being called prints which is what they really are.

T204 Burkett: It's not a proof either, it's a standard T204. As for the SGC determination I doubt a layer was removed since they are on such thin stock and removing a layer would be VERY obvious. I'm guessing someone cleaned the back to get rid of glue residue, went too far, and it affected the integrity of the surface making it appear a layer was removed.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Jay, of course we are the same person, you are just the OJ alter ego

Jay

Old 03-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

on something I want strikes fear into my heart!

Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Administrator

I recently found out that two bidders were picking lots based in part on what I bid on. While this is flattering, it would be nice if the let me win something once in a while.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Ralph Shapot is a very good guy would not engage in any shilling.......(Curt or otherwise)

Old 03-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Still, in keeping with recent posting direction, shouldn't we tie a rock to him and throw him in the lake? If he floats, he's okay.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I'm not so sure about the Burkett. Ramly blank backs have a very high correlation with the square border cards like the Burkett (all six square bordered cards are also found with TTT backs). There are others known - I have about 5 ,two are graded 3's by SGC,along with 5 blank backs that correspond to all of the square borders except Anderson. I think there are some that are "skinned" but I don't think this one is and I don't think the printing vanished in a clean up. I was supprised by the high price for a card that if had graded would have been a 1 or a 2.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Old 03-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

is you acquire a name recognition and "lurkers" tend to follow your bids and what you are bidding on. I think people like Seth (19th Century) have the right idea by picking names totally dissimilar and using them to bid on. Another tactic is that some guys will simply put in a snipe bid and never show their faces until the very end. I guess I should learn, I certainly have taken my lumps, especially lately, by laying a bid down early.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Probably taking this thread off in direction but....

I'm a rarely ever bid early, try and snipe at the end bidder. Years ago, I'd find the same bidders up against me on many items and finally figured out it was because I bid early and they just followed. Once i stopped, i'd rarely ever find them bidding against me.

I have noticed that quite a few dealers will bid something up multiple times to get their name as the current high bidder. I'm assuming its for advertising and hey, its working, as I know who you are.