NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default Collecting any unique (or weird) Subsets?

Posted By: Jason L

I know there's an Ed working on collecting T206s with a particular stamp on the back, and there are autographed-only T206 collections going on out there, but I thought I'd just put out the inquiry to see if we have anyone else putting together unique groupings of vintage sets...??? maybe cards with calendars on the reverse, or team cards only, or maybe cards depicting players in dress clothes only.

Me, oh, I'm glad you asked!
I have checklisted and started a few subsets of the Monster. I figure to finish absolutely none of them, though they are all very obtainable.
Chicago Cubs
[IMG][/IMG]

Sunsets
[IMG][/IMG]

Big Sweaters
[IMG][/IMG]

Stadium/Building backgrounds
[IMG][/IMG]

thinking about starting the following:
cards of players with hands on their hips
[IMG][/IMG]

cards that also include team mascots (kids and/or dogs)
[IMG][/IMG]

Have a good weekend everyone
Jason L

Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I forget the exact saying but when you speak to yourself...then answer yourself.....well, you know the rest ......I am right there with ya' though. ON this subject I will often see a card that I think is really cool and if I have a chance I will pick one up. It might not fit in with the few sets I collect, or my type set, but I like them because, well....I am a card addict....Here is my last one...though shown before I think it's really neat. And how many times can you get a neat HOF'er, pre-war for under $60 (besides a strip card)?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Good God, Billy Southworth was tiny.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

tiny strikezone, tiny wad of chew, played for candy.
those were the days

Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

At least that's what my father says...

I am trying to collect as many different postcard backs on exhibit cards as I can find but that's more of a master set than a subset thing, I suppose.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Administrator

How many are there?
do they vary greatly?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david Poses

i was working on a t210 subset of southern league players in the t206 set, which is slow going at best.
started a t207 highlander subset (wanting only rare backs, but now will take anything),
and i seem to be buying every caramel card of hal chase (no same fronts though). that's working out reasonably well.

i had been thinking about posting a thread like this, in the context of having been beaten up by "the monster," and finding myself feeling liberated by it- no longer feel like i have to buy certain cards out of a compulsion to complete a set that i don't really want to complete.

started wondering how many collectors relate to my situation- started vintage with t206, gave up for whatever reason, became reenergized upon discovery that (gasp) there are cards other than t206 in the world, now have a scattered collection of random stuff, am much happier for it.

long story short: i'm collecting a subset of random cards, which, when all put in the same pile, make me happy

Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

1910 Washington Times

1910 Baltimore News Schedule cards

1914 Baltimore News schedule cards

1933 Uncle Jacks

Oxford Confectionary

1933 Sea Raiders Master set - all 4 low number back variations and both High back variations

1910 baseball bats

1910 Orange Borders

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S.

I've always liked the pink background T206's because it offsets the masculinity of the nature of the sport and somehow finds a balance. I wonder if those dudes weren't too stoked to pull a card of themselves shrouded in such a "feminine" color back then. Regardless, they're beautiful. I had a subset going for a while but have sold most of it off.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

There are a number of sets I have interest in, but I will post one in particular-the 1921-1922 Schapira Brothers Big Show Candy:

Old 05-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Great set Brian! How many total subjects are in it when completed? Dan

Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

A very good open ended question. At present over 20 subjects are known.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Haas

I collect Exhibit cards that have the player's yearly statistics hand written on the back by the original owner(s). I have one for Jesse Haines that includes his stats for 7 years and was done in fountain ink. Too bad SGC grades these cards a "1" even though the card may be in great shape. I think it adds character and makes them totally unique.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I have a few I collect.

For some reason I started trying to collect all the backs for certain players, mostly Lindaman and Murphy.

I also recently started collecting the Port. poses from T210 but it is slow going finding nice copy's.

I have been going after all the 1910 Obak slogans as well, more than half way done once again slow going.

I have also been thinking of pulling a Ted Z and trying to get an EPDG subset of T206's, but I'm still up in the air on this one.