NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Default How to determine if a pin is real/fake?

Hey,

I've been looking at a pin that I was thinking of picking up and realized I have no idea how to tell if a pin is real or fake (or a recent reproduction).

I looked back at some posts here that mentioned some pretty good looking fakes, but nothing on how to ID them.

I'd rather not post the pin publicly, because I think it probably fits the collection if there's a way to help without that. The pin I am looking at is not super intricate (more a basic pin with some words on it). The font and lettering looks like the other examples I've come across, and the back of the pin definitively looks old, but I know that's not enough. Front looks cleaner than other copies I've seen, which is part of the reason I'm concerned.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated. If resources on this already exist, I'd appreciate a pointer to them. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

No disrespect. It's very hard to guide you without the pinback in hand and I'd say near impossible without so much as a close-up front and back. Maybe someone else has a better response although I tend to doubt it. Any manner of front can be replicated and any marriage or replacement can be made on the obverse. Generally the higher the value and the more scarce the item - the greater the possibility it can be faked. Incentive (by way of profiting) generally drives the equation. Your biggest problem in eliciting responses is there's too limited information going in and too diffuse a question in the end....
Old 12-19-2019, 02:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Henry responded exactly as I was tempted to... but his wording was far more eloquent.

Bottom line... if you want an informed response, you'll need to post the pics!
Old 12-19-2019, 07:03 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Henry responded exactly as I was tempted to... but his wording was far more eloquent.

Bottom line... if you want an informed response, you'll need to post the pics!
+1 Need to see the item before any of us will give you an answer. If not your on your own and good luck! Hell take a chance you can always send it back...

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I thought that might be the case.

Here are the images.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth Pin 1.jpg (72.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Ruth Pin 2.jpg (70.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:27 PM
Al

Jeff the pin is good!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Old 12-19-2019, 07:32 PM
Hank Thomas

I'd say good. Anybody know what it was for?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:35 PM
Al

Hank the only thing I can determine is it might be for his Tour of Japan team...

Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I'd say good. Anybody know what it was for?
Thanks!

I believe the pin was connected to the Barnstorming Tours he did. The Bustin' Babe's and Larrupin' Lou's.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Jeff the pin is good!
Awesome, thanks!
Old 12-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Thanks!

I believe the pin was connected to the Barnstorming Tours he did. The Bustin' Babe's and Larrupin' Lou's.
That makes sense, and makes it a great piece. Wonder if there was a Lou version?

Last edited by Hankphenom; 12-19-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
That makes sense, and makes it a great piece. Wonder if there was a Lou version?
I'm not super knowledgeable about pins. My assumption was that there probably was one, but a quick Google search didn't turn anything up.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Jeff the pin is good!
I agree with Al's knowledgeable opinion.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Jeff Lazarus

Thanks for the help everyone. The seller had listed a bunch of pins that he said came from a collection of an older individual, so was hoping that it was good. I love how clean it looks.

I collect barnstorming related items, and have mostly been limited to the 40's and 50's (Paige, Feller, Lemon, Jackie Robinson, Campanella etc). Love that era, but excited to find an earlier, Ruth barnstorming item.

edit: It looks like PSA grades pins. I'm thinking of going that route, though don't see info on how to go about it on the PSA website. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm sure I'm just overlooking it. (Obviously don't have the pin in hand yet, but thinking about it when I get it.)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. The seller had listed a bunch of pins that he said came from a collection of an older individual, so was hoping that it was good. I love how clean it looks.

I collect barnstorming related items, and have mostly been limited to the 40's and 50's (Paige, Feller, Lemon, Jackie Robinson, Campanella etc). Love that era, but excited to find an earlier, Ruth barnstorming item.

edit: It looks like PSA grades pins. I'm thinking of going that route, though don't see info on how to go about it on the PSA website. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm sure I'm just overlooking it. (Obviously don't have the pin in hand yet, but thinking about it when I get it.)
But why would you want to do that?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I agree with Al's knowledgeable opinion.
+1 Thanks Rob...

Old 12-20-2019, 05:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
But why would you want to do that?
Was wondering the same...

How does slabbing it make it any better? Why waste the time and money, when the people here are 10X more knowledgeable about vintage pinbacks? If PSA is obsolete or gone in 10 years, do you really want it to reside in that unsightly bar-coded case?

Seems like people are automatically conditioned to flock to them, despite all of the “errors” and corruption. I’d try to resist the hyperbole and just enjoy the Pin for what it is!
Old 12-20-2019, 06:42 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Was wondering the same...

How does slabbing it make it any better? Why waste the time and money, when the people here are 10X more knowledgeable about vintage pinbacks? If PSA is obsolete or gone in 10 years, do you really want it to reside in that unsightly bar-coded case?

Seems like people are automatically conditioned to flock to them, despite all of the “errors” and corruption. I’d try to resist the hyperbole and just enjoy the Pin for what it is!
I completely agree with Mark about the slabbing. I have thousands of pins in my collection and none are encased. Raw is the way to go.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown