NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2021, 08:09 AM

Default 1909 E90-1 Joe Jackson value compared to others

With this issue being his true rookie card and having a PSA pop of only 92, it’s a rare and important card in the hobby. When I look at the value of some other key pre-war cards, this one seems way under-valued comparably speaking. I know some sets are more iconic or collected than others so that could be part of it. I’m just interested in others thoughts on the value and status of this card in the hobby.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:14 AM

While it may be a Joe Jackson, it's not particularly attractive. Nor, would I call it rare, SGC has graded 79, along with PSA's 92, there are certain to be well over 200+ of them in existence, perhaps more. Both of these could hold it back from achieving a higher price level.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:25 AM
pete ullman

it's quite significant in the cosmetics circles. I believe this lipstick shade Joe is sporting influenced womens' lipstick colors well into the 20's.

But seriously... compared to the value of many even more rare cobb rookies...joe jax seems kinda spendy to me???

the black sox multiplier is real!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-22-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi,

To some the Joe Jackson Rookie Card does not have the eye appeal as other cards.
But to many it is a nice looking card.

I believe the card is under valued and under appreciated.

The Rookie Card is not that rare and you can usually find a couple on ebay for sale.

However, I believe part of the reason that the Prices are low is mostly that the higher grade cards are low in population (MOST of the population is below a 2.

But more importantly almost all that come up for sale are both low grade and most do not have a nice eye appeal. thus keeping the price down

On the private Market the prices for the higher end ones are pretty solid. I have had many strong offers also on my card.

There was a PSA 8 went pre pandemic for over $650K
Robert Edwards had a PSA 1.5 with what look like a crease left to right just below the "A" on his uniform and it went for $31K in April

There is an SGC 3 Joe Jackson on Love of the Game Auction now and it is at $34K ($40K with Buyers Premium) with approx 1 week to go. So should have a strong final price and can help set the market price.

So yes population between SGC and PSA is fairly large and they do come often for sale but the cards above a 2 come up less often and go for what I believe is some strong prices.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I’d be interested to hear specifically what cards it is undervalued compared against. Who has a comparable rookie going for more or similar that shouldn’t?

Personally, I think Jackson is heavily overvalued in general. A Cracker Jack Speaker sells for a fraction of a Cracker Jack Jackson, for example. People pay a fat bonus for anyone part of the Black Sox bad guys, and this card in particular. It doesn’t even look like Jackson.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:54 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I’d be interested to hear specifically what cards it is undervalued compared against. Who has a comparable rookie going for more or similar that shouldn’t?

Personally, I think Jackson is heavily overvalued in general. A Cracker Jack Speaker sells for a fraction of a Cracker Jack Jackson, for example. People pay a fat bonus for anyone part of the Black Sox bad guys, and this card in particular. It doesn’t even look like Jackson.
I believe he is talking about Rookie Cards. As Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig all go for alot more as rookie cards card to Joe Jacksons Rookie.
And you are right it does not look like him. But most cards in the E90-1 Series do not look like very much like the players listed as.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-22-2021, 10:16 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I believe he is talking about Rookie Cards. As Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig all go for alot more as rookie cards card to Joe Jacksons Rookie.
And you are right it does not look like him. But most cards in the E90-1 Series do not look like very much like the players listed as.
Yes I know he means rookies, that’s why I asked specifically for “comparable rookies” that sell for more or similar to Jackson but should not. Are we really going to suggest that Jackson rookies belongs above Ruth and Cobb rookies? That would seem to be absurd.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:20 AM

I think the 1910 Old Mill red border T210 is a much more desirable Joe Jackson card than the E90-1. I believe it will be more valuable long term.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:47 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Yes I know he means rookies, that’s why I asked specifically for “comparable rookies” that sell for more or similar to Jackson but should not. Are we really going to suggest that Jackson rookies belongs above Ruth and Cobb rookies? That would seem to be absurd.
Never said above their value. And should not even be close to those. But the Joe jackson cards IMO are undervalued and over time will catch on and go up. I think they have high upside. Especially as other Joe Jackson cards like the CJ cards and the 1916 Cards get more expensive the rookie card will be another option for them.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-22-2021, 10:49 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I think the 1910 Old Mill red border T210 is a much more desirable Joe Jackson card than the E90-1. I believe it will be more valuable long term.
the om is multiples more valuable and always will be. no comparison!
Old 08-22-2021, 11:12 AM

In my opinion, Joe Jackson's legacy transcends baseball due to (i) the Black Sox scandal, (ii) the fact that he is not in the HOF because of it, and (iii) the movie Field of Dreams and the games now being played there. Not only was he one of the best players of his era, and who knows where he would have ended had he not been banned from baseball, but his story and legacy is larger than the sport, this latter fact having a huge impact on value and desirability.

Joe's T210 is, in my opinion, a top 10 card. You could argue that his 1914 CJ is also a top 10 baseball card. Recently, his M101-4/5 cards have skyrocketed and his E90-1 cards seem to be following suit. The things that hold the E90-1 back are (a) its not very rare, (b) its very ugly, and (c) the set is not nearly as popular/collected as T206. That said, I agree that the E90-1, and all of Joe's cards, are poised for a large jump (and some are already seeing it).

As more big money comes into the hobby, the obvious card is the T206 Wagner. Interest in the Wagner brings interest to T206, Wagner in general (definitely experiencing a recent spike), and blue chip pre-war players. I believe the top blue chip players are Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig and Jackson (not necessarily in that order). For this reason and because Jackson has a larger-than-the sport legacy, his cards, including the E90-1 should keep going up.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:37 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Never said above their value. And should not even be close to those. But the Joe jackson cards IMO are undervalued and over time will catch on and go up. I think they have high upside. Especially as other Joe Jackson cards like the CJ cards and the 1916 Cards get more expensive the rookie card will be another option for them.
So then what are some actual examples of comparable cards the Jackson is undervalued against? Only other Joe Jacksons, that actually portray someone who looks like him?

I'm not saying they don't have upside, most all vintage does. I'm simply asking for any example of the original claim made, that is the subject of the thread post.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:39 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
In my opinion, Joe Jackson's legacy transcends baseball due to (i) the Black Sox scandal, (ii) the fact that he is not in the HOF because of it, and (iii) the movie Field of Dreams and the games now being played there. Not only was he one of the best players of his era, and who knows where he would have ended had he not been banned from baseball, but his story and legacy is larger than the sport, this latter fact having a huge impact on value and desirability.

Joe's T210 is, in my opinion, a top 10 card. You could argue that his 1914 CJ is also a top 10 baseball card. Recently, his M101-4/5 cards have skyrocketed and his E90-1 cards seem to be following suit. The things that hold the E90-1 back are (a) its not very rare, (b) its very ugly, and (c) the set is not nearly as popular/collected as T206. That said, I agree that the E90-1, and all of Joe's cards, are poised for a large jump (and some are already seeing it).

As more big money comes into the hobby, the obvious card is the T206 Wagner. Interest in the Wagner brings interest to T206, Wagner in general (definitely experiencing a recent spike), and blue chip pre-war players. I believe the top blue chip players are Ruth, Cobb, Wagner, Gehrig and Jackson (not necessarily in that order). For this reason and because Jackson has a larger-than-the sport legacy, his cards, including the E90-1 should keep going up.
This pretty much says it. I have been tracking sells of probably the cheapest Jackson card you can buy, the w514 strip card, and that card has really jumped in value the last year and has been trending up the last 5 at least...

There is no real comparison for Jackson as his fame has been fueled by pop culture and is not a Hall of Famer. I would argue his card values, including his rookie, are over priced because of this and will continue to trend up as we have seen recently.

He is a borderline HOFer who is famous/infamous bc of the Black Sox scandal...the two comparable players in that regard would be Eddie Cicotte and Hal Chase and their rookie cards dont even come close to Jackson's

If you want to talk about HOFers that were in the same era and comparable to Jackson in popularity and skill... Tris Speaker is the best comparison IMO and Jackson's cards sell significantly higher than his...price compare JJ and Spoke Cracker Jacks...you have to get some of the rare backed T206 Speakers to compete with low grade E90-1 Jacksons...the difference Jackson was banned for his scandal (Speaker wasnt) and Jackson became a pop culture baseball icon in the 1980s...
Old 08-22-2021, 12:50 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig were much bigger names and more popular players DURING their playing careers and big time media superstars...Joe Jackson was not...yes he was popular but not on their level...IF the Black Sox scandal had not happened Joe Jackson would not be very well known today and his cards would be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper...if he made the HOF they would be more valued yes, but still not like Cobb or Ruth...I will stand in the "his cards are over valued" corner based on infamy and mostly bc of pop culture.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:33 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

FWIW, I think it's an absolutely gorgeous card. Just waiting for the price to be right on one...
Old 08-22-2021, 01:46 PM

This card is a turd that's why. I'm trying to think of another card of its stature that is such a terrible looking card. Maybe the 1938 Goudey DiMaggio?
Old 08-22-2021, 01:53 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
This card is a turd that's why. I'm trying to think of another card of its stature that is such a terrible looking card. Maybe the 1938 Goudey DiMaggio?
Lol, I never fail to be surprised by the comments on here.
Old 08-22-2021, 01:56 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Don't get me wrong as it's not that I don't wish I had done it, but I passed on one in Houston because it was slightly out of register and looked like a red hitler mustache.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
I agree, but one of my favorite cards is the E90-1 Nap Lajoie which bears a good resemblance to his real likeness.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:53 PM
P.aul Orl,in

The E90-1 Speaker is one of my favorite cards. The Joe Jackson is often ugly, though it can look nice in the higher grades. I would like to collect the set so…have to get one at some point!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC355A3B-A3B1-486A-8385-6E0ACE63284A.jpg (11.3 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by puckpaul; 08-23-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
This pretty much says it. I have been tracking sells of probably the cheapest Jackson card you can buy, the w514 strip card, and that card has really jumped in value the last year and has been trending up the last 5 at least...

There is no real comparison for Jackson as his fame has been fueled by pop culture and is not a Hall of Famer. I would argue his card values, including his rookie, are over priced because of this and will continue to trend up as we have seen recently.

He is a borderline HOFer who is famous/infamous bc of the Black Sox scandal...the two comparable players in that regard would be Eddie Cicotte and Hal Chase and their rookie cards dont even come close to Jackson's

If you want to talk about HOFers that were in the same era and comparable to Jackson in popularity and skill... Tris Speaker is the best comparison IMO and Jackson's cards sell significantly higher than his...price compare JJ and Spoke Cracker Jacks...you have to get some of the rare backed T206 Speakers to compete with low grade E90-1 Jacksons...the difference Jackson was banned for his scandal (Speaker wasnt) and Jackson became a pop culture baseball icon in the 1980s...
Through the 1920 season

Ty Cobb .369/.423/.512/.935
Joe Jackson .356/.423/.517/.940
Tris Speaker .342/.412/.484/.896

Joe Jackson was compariable to Ty Cobb. He hit for a lower average, but he got on base at the same rate and hit with slightly better power than Cobb. Joe Jackson was a significantly better hitter than Tris Speaker. If he hadn't been banned from baseball, it is very likely that Jackson would have been part of the first HOF class along with Wagner, Cobb and Ruth. Joe Jackson would have benefited greatly from the livelier ball of the 1920s.

Yes, Joe Jackson was banned from baseball, but Tris Speaker (along with Ty Cobb) actually took part in fixing a major league baseball game.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Through the 1920 season

Joe Jackson was compariable to Ty Cobb. He hit for a lower average, but he got on base at the same rate and hit with slightly better power than Cobb. Joe Jackson was a significantly better hitter than Tris Speaker. If he hadn't been banned from baseball, it is very likely that Jackson would have been part of the first HOF class along with Wagner, Cobb and Ruth. Joe Jackson would have benefited greatly from the livelier ball of the 1920s.

Yes, Joe Jackson was banned from baseball, but Tris Speaker (along with Ty Cobb) actually took part in fixing a major league baseball game.
Leaving out the part where Leonard was unable to provide a single shred of evidence to support his claim whatsoever.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:25 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
He is referring to other "Jackson" cards, not rookies or cards of other players from this era.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:58 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Through the 1920 season

Joe Jackson was a very popular player during his time and drew fans into the stands.
He was a Great player during his career

Jackson never won a batting title, which can be mostly attributed to the fact that Cobb took home the crown an incredible 12 times between 1907 and 1919. Even in 1911, when Jackson hit an amazing.408, Cobb bested him at .419.

And this is what Cobb said about Jackson

In an article that appeared in the June 5, 1942 issue of the Record Journal (Meriden, CT), he spoke at length about why Jackson was the ultimate hitter:
“I don’t care how we feel or what some folks may say about some of the tragic incidents in that man’s baseball life. You can’t take away from him the fact he was the greatest hitter the game has ever known.
“He was greater than I, although I managed to top him in the records each year we fought it out for the batting titles. Jackson could hit any kind of pitch, from his shoe tops to his head. There may have been some things I could do better, such as drag bunts, and they say I had a faster getaway from the plate on the swing. But Jackson never was fooled up there, and I think he had the best eyes, and the keenest reflexes of any hitter I ever saw.”

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-23-2021, 10:10 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Im trying to convey comparable as a player AND (probably more importantly when you are debating issues drive by player popularity which card value is one of those things) popularity. Cobb was vastly more popular with fans around the league than Jackson who like I said was popular just not as much and Cobb...my point was Cobb was on another level and Ruth well no one will ever be on his level of popularity. Speaker I still say is the best comparison to make here if you want to try to play the what if game with Jackson and then translate that to card sales...I may have went a little over the top in that Jackson would be largely forgotten, maybe maybe not, Speaker isnt really forgotten but how many casuals know who Speaker was...

My main point...
without the scandal Jackson's rookie card (and all cards for that matter) would track along with Speaker's rookie cards and others of his (save for rare backed T206s)

Jackson is well known now bc of the scandal and more so the 2 movies in the 1980s and that has driven his sales...without that he would not have the appeal of the BIG names like Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Jackie, Mantle and with it he barely does...which I guess is kind of the point of this topic...

Last edited by ThomasL; 08-23-2021 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:23 PM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Another point...what were the card sales and how did they compare prior to 1988? That would tell you a lot when trying to compare and evaluate things like this. Compare card sales of your targets prior to FOD and 8MO being released with those of Jacksons, and then track them post 1988.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 08-24-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
Im trying to convey comparable as a player AND (probably more importantly when you are debating issues drive by player popularity which card value is one of those things) popularity. Cobb was vastly more popular with fans around the league than Jackson who like I said was popular just not as much and Cobb...my point was Cobb was on another level and Ruth well no one will ever be on his level of popularity. Speaker I still say is the best comparison to make here if you want to try to play the what if game with Jackson and then translate that to card sales...I may have went a little over the top in that Jackson would be largely forgotten, maybe maybe not, Speaker isnt really forgotten but how many casuals know who Speaker was...

My main point...
without the scandal Jackson's rookie card (and all cards for that matter) would track along with Speaker's rookie cards and others of his (save for rare backed T206s)

Jackson is well known now bc of the scandal and more so the 2 movies in the 1980s and that has driven his sales...without that he would not have the appeal of the BIG names like Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Jackie, Mantle and with it he barely does...which I guess is kind of the point of this topic...
Lou Gehrig was second to Babe Ruth during most of his career. He is still an all time great whose cards are worth a lot of money. Joe Jackson is very similar. I disagree that he is only known because of a scandal. He is known because he was a .356 career hitter. He was very popular player during his playing days as a "nice" alternative to Ty Cobb.

I started setting up at card shows in 1984. Jackson's cards were in heavy demand then. His Cracker Jack cards were worth more than Cobb due to his lack of cards, not being in the popular t-card sets. Those movies came out in 1988 and 1989 and didn't do a lot to his card prices as they were already high and out of most collectors budgets.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:29 PM

Default 1909 E90-1 Joe Jackson value compared to others

Enjoyed reading everyone's input and thoughts. To clarify, I was talking about comparing it to other key rookies but there are other examples that come to mind. As its been mentioned, he shouldn't be in the same price range as a ruth or gehrig rookie for example, but I dont think the Jackson rookie should be so far behind them either. Also some non rookie cards as well, take the T206 Plank for example. Obviously T206 is the most popular set, but both have similar pops. PSA pop of 77 for the plank and 92 for the Jackson. Right off, people think the Plank is a much rarer card, but its really not. Also, Jackson was a far better player. Does the T206 Plank card really warrant that much value over a Joe Jackson Rookie card from the same era with a pop difference of only 15? I get it, popular sets create huge premiums but were the ruth and gehrig rookies from popular sets for example? True Pre-War rookies are very few and far between, especially of the top tier players and all should be worth huge premiums over most other pre war cards. In my opinion Joe Jackson is no exception.

Last edited by investinrookies; 08-25-2021 at 08:52 PM.