NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2020, 09:19 PM
Anson

Default Help with another possible scammer

I recently sold a card worth around $500 to an international buyer. I used Ebay's international shipping program and sent via USPS Priority Mail. The card sold on Sept 11 and was delivered Sept. 22. The buyer messaged me today that the Beckett holder was damaged on the corner and would now like to return. It's nearly a month later and the auction clearly states no returns. However, Paypal has now frozen the amount of the auction and I'm stuck.

If the corner of the Beckett holder (the most durable of all TPG companies) was truly damaged, this donkey would have let me know back in September. It screams of a scam or the guy is upset the value of the card may have dropped. What am I up against here?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:31 PM
pete ullman

What was the card? Sounds like you may be screwed as Ebay/Paypal always favor the buyer. I just hope you get the actual card you sent?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 PM
Anson

In this case, it was a 1986 Jerry Rice BGS 8.5. He claims the corner of the case was damaged. Even though the auction states no returns and I DID insure with USPS, I'm expecting to get a swapped card.

Sounds like I just need to be done with selling anything on Ebay. There's nothing to protect fraud anymore. What would it take to break a corner on a Beckett holder? The buyer lives in Canada and I have his address. But it's probably not worth pursuing.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:09 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default No returns in listing?

No returns in the listing doesn't mean they can't return any item, for any reason, maybe they found one cheaper, the item went down in value, changed their mind, etc.

The last time I shipped a item out of the country was a Samurai sword the buyer took the wrapping off the handle and didn't find any marking on the tang so changed his mind and returned the item in pieces--he did pay the return shipping!
Old 10-19-2020, 10:17 PM
Anson

So even buying insurance and shipping through Ebay's international program does squat for protecting you. My best guess is the "damaged corner" will actually be the guy swapping the card and there won't be a darn thing I can do about it. I guess your cards aren't worth anything if scammers will be allowed to scam.

Is there a way to see the actual shipping address, even though they list the reference number and Erlanger, KY address?

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 10-19-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:18 AM
Robert J. Miller

Just another reason I will not sell expensive cards on ebay. I only sell what I am willing to lose. I would rather sell to members of this board at a lower price than deal with the thieves on ebay. Plus I usually never sell anything other than stamps overseas.

Last edited by philliesfan; 10-20-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:35 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
So even buying insurance and shipping through Ebay's international program does squat for protecting you. My best guess is the "damaged corner" will actually be the guy swapping the card and there won't be a darn thing I can do about it. I guess your cards aren't worth anything if scammers will be allowed to scam.

Is there a way to see the actual shipping address, even though they list the reference number and Erlanger, KY address?
If it went through global shipping, they have to refund you. That's part of the agreement. Call eBay and keep calling until you get the right rep on the phone. The subcontractor in Kentucky opened the package, confirmed you sent the right thing, repackaged it and mailed it to Canada. Your liability is over once they confirm it. You just have to get the right rep on the phone.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Just another reason I will not sell expensive cards on ebay. I only sell what I am willing to lose. I would rather sell to members of this board at a lower price than deal with the thieves on ebay. Plus I usually never sell anything other than stamps overseas.
+1 I do the same on eBay, just sell lower end stuff. Luckily I have never had a problem on there and I have been on eBay since right after they started.

I have also made several hundred transactions(mainly buying) on here with no major issues.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:00 AM

Default 33 Goudey Stars

I keep seeing "Lou Gehrig" cards and "Babe Ruth" cards,for $3000.
---$5000.And in auctions,for 20% additional.And these are Mid-Grade.
What the heck is a whole set worth? And I mean minus "Lajoie"?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:10 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
If it went through global shipping, they have to refund you. That's part of the agreement. Call eBay and keep calling until you get the right rep on the phone. The subcontractor in Kentucky opened the package, confirmed you sent the right thing, repackaged it and mailed it to Canada. Your liability is over once they confirm it. You just have to get the right rep on the phone.
John is right. Just keep calling until you get the right rep. I had an issue with a buyer a few days ago and the eBay rep took care of the issue in my favor. It's just a matter of getting the right rep.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Anson

Just in case anyone encounters ABurdo or Anthony Burdo, steer clear.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Randy

if you used the gsp (you ship to Kentucky) you will win.

if you used ebay international shipping, you will probably lose.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:51 PM
Rich

Take a photo on your phone of every card you sell if possible alongside the shipping address. Might help with swapped cards.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:59 AM
Anson

Update on this situation, since I think it's helpful to share yet another scam: I did finally get refunded the cost of the card since I used GSP. However, this has a greater potential for someone within the US.

The buyer received the card and waited nearly a month, claiming they "just opened the package to find it was damaged." Then, they filed a return with Ebay, removing the PayPal from your account until the issue is settled. The buyer then provided shipping information back to me, which all looked legit. I was anticipating receiving a different card back (lower grade) inserted into a tampered BGS holder. Instead, he sent the package to a different zip code within the same city I'm in. I never received the package, even though it was shown as delivered. This information was included with my dispute. My best guess is, he sent something (probably not even a card) to a bogus address to try and prove that the item was returned and received. Whoever received it realized it was nothing of substance and didn't do anything with it. If the guy had picked the same zip code, this scam might have had a chance. Assuming I didn't use the GSP or it was a domestic purchase, this could have gone sideways in a hurry. Sellers be aware!
Old 11-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Anson

And I thought it was over. Today, PayPal just took thr money back again with no warning. Ebay shows case closed in buyers favor due to showing the item was returned. I sent an appeal but am guessing I'm going to have to spend time sitting on the phone to fight this.

Ebay sucks
Old 11-14-2020, 04:55 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default USPS Insurance

This might be a bad scenario concerning filing a USPS Insurance claim too?
You don't have the damaged card to surrender for proof of the damage to file a claim. You might try asking your local Post office for some suggestions if the wrong addressee had to sign for the card . Appears this possibly might be a manipulated process by the buyer to get the card free? ( at least when I recently filed a missing card claim, I did have a damaged compromised empty box to surrender to my local Post office for some proof --which I hope will help my claim case?)

Last edited by Directly; 11-14-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:02 PM
Tony. Biviano

By any chance, are you using a P.O. Box.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Anson

No, home address. Even though he supposedly sent the card back, the tracking showed the package being sent to a totally different zip code in the same city. Needless to say, no package ever arrived. But, Ebay closed the case and drained the money from my PayPal. The details claimed it was confirmed to have been delivered to my address, which is BS. I did everything I could, insured card to GSP, and they took it from there. When I received the "BGS holder is cracked and he's returning it" email 30bdaysbafter it was delivered, I knew i was in for a scam. I just can't believe Ebay is that easy to cheat. Im calling tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:55 PM
Eric Perry

Isn't this mail fraud by the "buyer" of the card you sold?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-16-2020, 06:50 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Time to put the guy on blast...here BO, FB IG everywhere...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Anson

I'm not on BO or the other forums. But, I support anyone that wants to run with it on my behalf. Anthony Burdo shouldn't be allowed to buy or sell on any site.

Ebay is still playing hard ball and they've made it near impossible to get to a live person. Now that they've magically taken my money and closed the case, I can't access the Canadian postal info to track on their site. I will need this to file a mail fraud claim.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:13 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Just in case anyone encounters ABurdo or Anthony Burdo, steer clear.
Anthony Burdo from Toronto? DM me if it is
Old 11-16-2020, 11:32 AM
JB

Default sorry....

Not to pile on, because that sux...but NEVER EVER leave funds in paypal when you are a seller, i learned my lesson years ago.

Successful transactions with: HRBAKER, CHADDURBIN,DRDDUET,DOUBLEP,T213, RM444, MJSILVEY80, CHARLIETHEEXTERMINATOR,QUINNSRYCHE,PROFHOLT82,EJST EL,OHIOCARDCOLLECTOR
Old 11-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Anson

They just pull it from your bank if you don't have PayPal
Old 11-16-2020, 03:10 PM
Ben North

Quote:
They just pull it from your bank if you don't have PayPal
Yes, if you also drained your bank account then you get that awesome overdraft charge. I am lucky and have never had a problem with eBay/PayPal. Others have told me PayPal doesn't have a problem quickly turning it over to a collection agency.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 AM
J0hn Collin$

Sorry to hear of your situation. I've been in similar ones with eBay, and they can be agonizing.

Besides the main point perhaps, but I would disagree that Beckett slabs are the "most durable." They are the thickest, yes. But once you compromise the corners and/or the seal, they start to chip quite easily. The plastic they are made of is not bulletproof by a long shot. If not protected properly, the corners on a Beckett slab could chip quickly during shipment, I would think.

On the overall here, this is why I really shy away from selling on eBay anymore. You can mark "no returns" all you like all over your listing, but their notoriety for favoring the buyer at this point is well established. I sell in FB groups or places like the B/S/T here, and perhaps it's still not great, but if you only have to deal with Paypal G&S terms in a dispute - it's at least easier. I would also agree with what has already been said - don't leave cash from a sale like that just sitting in your PP account - although you have to have a credit card on file and if they decide to resolve something not in your favor - I suppose per the fine print they have the right to ding you that way as well.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-17-2020 at 01:54 PM.