NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Not only do the buyers suffer from this change, the sellers do as well.

First of all, eBay never sent me an email regarding these changes. I only heard about it thru the Net54 Forum. I have been selling for over 18 years on eBay and thought it might be nice of them to inform me.

I have about 5,000 different templates thru my listing software that I use over and over. I just go in and update the pictures, headings and descriptions if needed. Each one has their own category, Trading Cards, Baseball or Trading Cards, Football, etc.

In order for my listings to work, I had to make sure that all the categories were changed to Trading Card Singles. Nothing separates the sports anymore. Luckily I was able to do some bulk edits.

I haven't received anything yet from eBay stating that my Item Specifics need to be updated. I am waiting for my listings to start getting kicked off because of that.

If eBay listens to the complaints and reverse everything (I doubt this will happen) then I will really run into an issue. I will not be able to do a bulk edit since all my listings now fall under Trading Card Singles. I will no longer be able to distinguish the different sports unless I manually update everything.

Bottom line. eBay sucks big time and once again they prove that it's run by a bunch of incompetent people who do not think outside of the box.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 05-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post

Not only do the buyers suffer from this change, the sellers do as well...
I wholeheartedly agree. I've spent the better part of three afternoons updating listings. They're mostly 45 RPM record listings. Most of the changes were just annoying. I actually contacted customer service once, though.

For all records, they now want the name of the album. I'm not comfortable putting the name of a product I'm not selling into my listings. It has the potential to confuse customers. I'm sure more than a few would file INAD refund requests and leave negative feedback. (but your listing said, "Meet The Beatles"...all I got was a little record with two songs!)

It only took 90 minutes and three separate CS reps to get this solved. Otherwise, I'd have had 650+ listings taken down.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-14-2021, 09:05 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Bottom line. eBay sucks big time and once again they prove that it's run by a bunch of incompetent people who do not think outside of the box.
Howard, it seems to me that the eBay incompetents don't do much thinking inside the box either!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Howard, it seems to me that the eBay incompetents don't do much thinking inside the box either!
It seems like they should consider adopting the motto "Be the Box".

Brian
Old 05-14-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
It seems like they should consider adopting the motto "Be the Box".

Brian
Old 05-15-2021, 05:45 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. I've spent the better part of three afternoons updating listings. They're mostly 45 RPM record listings. Most of the changes were just annoying. I actually contacted customer service once, though.

For all records, they now want the name of the album. I'm not comfortable putting the name of a product I'm not selling into my listings. It has the potential to confuse customers. I'm sure more than a few would file INAD refund requests and leave negative feedback. (but your listing said, "Meet The Beatles"...all I got was a little record with two songs!)

It only took 90 minutes and three separate CS reps to get this solved. Otherwise, I'd have had 650+ listings taken down.
It just proves to you that eBay have people who work there who have no idea what they are doing. They don't understand that not all 45's are associated with an album. So, if you have 45's from the 60's, you have to look each one up to get the name of the album.

I can't wait to get my rejection letter from eBay. Are they going to tell me to include the player's wife name?

Buythatcard

Old 05-15-2021, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The listings I had with the 'required soon' updates required information that added nothing of value to the listings.

I am just going to make up nonsense to fill in the blanks on listings where it doesn't matter. Like "name of book" is "Under The Grandstand", name of author "Seymour Butts" etc.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-15-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:14 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The listings I had with the 'required soon' updates required information that added nothing of value to the listings.

I am just going to make up nonsense to fill in the blanks on listings where it doesn't matter. Like "name of book" is "Under The Grandstand", name of author "Seymour Butts" etc.
I tend to use "Note Specified" wherever that is an available option and the actual specific is irrelevant to the item, as that or some variation is typically one of the standard options.

Or if you have a lot of listings, it might be interesting to see if you could use your store name for the same fill-in-the-blank specific often enough that eBay populates it as one of the standard options? (It could just as easily get all those listings booted though, so if you try it, don't blame me if that happens).

I think all of this is an attempt to force sellers to input information that can be used for off-eBay searches (google shopping, for instance) and data analysis, the idea being that everything that can be purchased fits into a standard catalog if only that catalog is large enough. There is a big disconnect though between how collectors search for "collectibles" from how someone looking for a "product" might search. Baseball card collectors who have spent well over a century differentiating pieces of cardboard by the most minute details and arranging them into ever-finer categories and sub-categories, creating a Standard Catalog into which nearly all of these cards will fall neatly (if only the specific information is entered) will go onto a site like eBay and spend hours upon hours focused on looking for items to buy that are miscategorized or mislabeled, completely foregoing all of the item specifics that (theoretically) would have led to a quick and easy search for exactly what they were looking for.

This is kind of behavior is baffling to non-collectors.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I tend to use "Note Specified" wherever that is an available option and the actual specific is irrelevant to the item, as that or some variation is typically one of the standard options.

Or if you have a lot of listings, it might be interesting to see if you could use your store name for the same fill-in-the-blank specific often enough that eBay populates it as one of the standard options? (It could just as easily get all those listings booted though, so if you try it, don't blame me if that happens).

I think all of this is an attempt to force sellers to input information that can be used for off-eBay searches (google shopping, for instance) and data analysis, the idea being that everything that can be purchased fits into a standard catalog if only that catalog is large enough. There is a big disconnect though between how collectors search for "collectibles" from how someone looking for a "product" might search. Baseball card collectors who have spent well over a century differentiating pieces of cardboard by the most minute details and arranging them into ever-finer categories and sub-categories, creating a Standard Catalog into which nearly all of these cards will fall neatly (if only the specific information is entered) will go onto a site like eBay and spend hours upon hours focused on looking for items to buy that are miscategorized or mislabeled, completely foregoing all of the item specifics that (theoretically) would have led to a quick and easy search for exactly what they were looking for.

This is kind of behavior is baffling to non-collectors.

Basically, they're continuing their Amazonification of the platform, while missing the point that people normally go to Ebay for completely different reasons then they go to Amazon for.

They aspire to be Amazon, without the infrastructure of Amazon...............so a completely inferior version of.

Wait until you see a single listing for "1986 Donruss Jose Canseco" with a stock image, and followed by the phrase "274 other sellers also have this product", buried in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Probably won't even see the non-anchor sellers on the mobile version.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:55 AM
Mike Lenart

I just listed some cards for auction. One of the items is "Card Name". There is no drop down box but when I clicked on the box my credit card information came up!!

Mike
Old 05-15-2021, 12:09 PM

Default ebay

It's been a LONG time since I was a fan of ebay, and decisions like this one reinforce my opinion of that venue. For what it's worth, they did the same thing to comics- lumped them all into one pot rather than by era. Awful. Trent King
Old 05-15-2021, 01:51 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
I just listed some cards for auction. One of the items is "Card Name". There is no drop down box but when I clicked on the box my credit card information came up!!

Mike

They couldn't even be bothered to notice that their programming would trigger an autofill response.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:57 PM
James

Default Good God

I wonder if the genius that thought this through, and everyone who signed off on this disaster will have jobs by Friday. What a cluster f**k of a mess. This makes it not even worth trying to buy cards off there
Old 05-15-2021, 06:06 PM

To whom does one direct complaints?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:38 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

We can complain all that we want to ebay's customer service. Do you really think they pass this on to upper management? If they do, do you really think they give a crap?
They probably don't.

When my account was hacked last month, eBay decided to delete all 300 of my items from my store. In addition, they deleted all sales from that week that were not paid for.

When I asked them why the f--k did they do that without telling me. They said they did not know. They also told me that they will pass this on to upper management and they will call back the next day. The next day came and they never called. I called again and was told the same thing. I called a third time and a fourth. I am still waiting for upper management to call back.

That's how I feel they are going to deal with this category fiasco. Nothing will happen. I hope that I am wrong this time.

Buythatcard

Old 05-15-2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

. At least with records there is an alternative - Discogs.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:39 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

IMO a good opportunity for someone like a COMC who already has the sports card userbase to introduce an ebay like platform.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest206 View Post
I wonder if the genius that thought this through, and everyone who signed off on this disaster will have jobs by Friday. What a cluster f**k of a mess. This makes it not even worth trying to buy cards off there
the way ebay operates.... they will all get raises and a bonus.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:56 PM
Eric Perry

There is now a "Set" filter for T206. I used it to search ungraded cards and am posting the screen shot here.

Yes, there will still be items listed in the wrong category. Some sellers do this accidentally, others on purpose.

Yes, there are still issues with eBay. I'm sure we can fill page after page with "I hate eBay because..." posts.

Yes, we can look at current listings (even sorted by newly listed) and find things that are wrong...especially with older listings.

Etc., etc., etc.

However, eBay seems to be taking a step in the right direction. A feature we were asking for yesterday is there today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206.jpg (51.4 KB, 71 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 05-16-2021, 06:38 PM
pete ullman

Ya to me this seems really stupid? Now they have some sets listed...no caramel sets or anything more obscure than t206...a ridiculous amount of different modern sets.

It would have been much more efficient to have eras...but i suppose it's a PLAY TO GAIN MORE INFO FOR PROFIT?