NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-30-2021, 12:04 PM

Default What is happening with baseball card prices?

Header says it. I collect 52 and 56 Topps. And observing the prices, some players are going gangbusters. For example, Robinson and Mays in the 52 set. I bought a PSA 6 Mays, dead centered in 2014 for $2600, and just in the last week, a PSA 5, badly centered, sold for a whopping $12,600.

Part of me thinks maybe I should cash out. But I'm not in this for money, and I love my collection. But I'm trying to be real about it. Is this a bubble? Or are we seeing a correction on cards like the Mays and Robinson that have been historically undervalued when compared to the Mantle?

Do I hang on to the card, or take the money and reinvest?
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 PM
Chris

I’ve thought a lot about selling my best cards for what should be an insane profit based on what I bought them for over the years but when it comes down to it I just can’t sell.

If you’re like me, the cards you sell you’ll just end up needing to buy again.

It is tempting though - thinking that I could maybe sell a selection of early 50s topps and buy a card or two I never thought I’d be able to own with the proceeds, but what good does that really do when I’d just have to turn around and buy a new 52 Mays or 55 Clemente to fill in the hole.

I guess it just depends what you’re in it for. There are profits to be had, but I’d still rather have the cards.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:37 PM
Chris

I guess the one caveat is the fear of being priced out of something. If I don’t pull the trigger soon on a 33 Goudey Ruth I may never be able to afford one. So maybe it makes financial sense to sell a 55 Clemente and Koufax to get one. But even then I think I’d be more upset about parting with the 55s than I’d be happy about getting the Ruth. I don’t want to break up the band!
Old 01-30-2021, 02:17 PM
Eric Cheng

There's a lot more investor, new modern collector going into vintage. If you look at how much modern gain last year. This is nothing. They just throwing money they already made in a they think undervalued market.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:09 PM
Tom S

It all depends on your personal financial situation. If you don't really need the money just hang on and enjoy your cards.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:34 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

This crazy parabolic increase is being caused by FOMO and easy pay day dreamers. People asking 2-3X actual cards values (VG Mantles at 75k and EX Mays at 25 plus) just seem like desperate attempts to capitalize. Holding off on my big purchases for the time being.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:22 AM

Maybe this isn't the best analogy but I sold my highly graded 8/9s Fleer 86-88 Jordans (Michael James) and immediately bought for same price 6 and 7's and a raw sticker, which are on fire too.

In another deal got a 3 after I sold another 5--and 3 raw stickers. So I'm downgrading but it's not like I'm ever going to be #1 on the registry...and I'm a mid-grade collector at heart. I'm happy when I complete a set.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:25 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Cash Out Now On Any Grades Lower then 7
Old 01-31-2021, 10:35 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Cash Out Now On Any Grades Lower then 7
It is tempting
Old 01-31-2021, 10:47 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I’m 100% serious, take this profit now 👍
Old 01-31-2021, 12:34 PM
J0hn Collin$

I think a lot, but not all of it - is pandemic boredom and some FOMO creeping in when people look at what Ruth, Cobb, and other popular prewar cards have done in the past two years or so. The postwar HOF key cards and marquee rookies are in the same boat.

I would not expect the bubble to last forever, but some cards will probably not dramatically lose steam even if it doesn't. I don't think multiple rounds of government checks and sports gamblers having to stay home for so long have helped us at all in the past year, however.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-31-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yes.

The cards you cited were undervalued. They are now part of a bubble. When it pops it will drop some but I don't think back to where it was.

A 1952 Mays PSA 3 vg, for example, was a $800-$1200 card for years until it started up. It is now over $3K and likely to go up more before it pops. Will it drop back to $800? Doubtful. That hasn't been the pattern for greatly appreciated cards over the decades. They go up and come down some. Assuming, of course, that the world doesn't turn to shit on us all at once.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-01-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:15 PM
Howard Chasser

Default There are a number of factors in play

1) Finite supply of vintage cards
2) HUGE increase in demand for 2 primary reasons including Sports cards and memorabilia being recognized as a legitimate "investment" and the "covid effect" - many people rediscovering collecting and getting back in the market.
3) Lots of money sloshing around the economy courtesy of the stimulus.

Only if we see a significant drop in demand (which I am not so sure is coming) would there be downward pressure on prices.

The 1952 Topps Mantle is a great example - you can go and buy one any day of the week - the supply exists. The price has continued to go up in response to demand - think for a minute about the fact that a PSA 9 just sold for 5.2 MILLION dollars! If the Mantle is the yardstick - what are the rest of the significant 52's worth? Or many other vintage cards?

An anecdotal observation - It seems to me there are a lot fewer higher grade 7-10 cards coming to market. I think about this in a context of old muscle cars - I used to be able to go to a car show and see rows and rows of incredible cars including some of the most rare. It seems these days most of these cars have been gobbled up and sit in private collections for years.

Another thought I have is the prices relative to other collected categories - How much does a great or rare painting sell for? Previously mentioned cars? Coins? Art other than paintings? Jewelry? In that context Sports cards and memorabilia are in their financial infancy.

One way or another, things are going to stay interesting....... Collect what you enjoy and you'll rarely be sorry.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:59 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
1) Finite supply of vintage cards
2) HUGE increase in demand for 2 primary reasons including Sports cards and memorabilia being recognized as a legitimate "investment" and the "covid effect" - many people rediscovering collecting and getting back in the market.
3) Lots of money sloshing around the economy courtesy of the stimulus.

Only if we see a significant drop in demand (which I am not so sure is coming) would there be downward pressure on prices.

The 1952 Topps Mantle is a great example - you can go and buy one any day of the week - the supply exists. The price has continued to go up in response to demand - think for a minute about the fact that a PSA 9 just sold for 5.2 MILLION dollars! If the Mantle is the yardstick - what are the rest of the significant 52's worth? Or many other vintage cards?

An anecdotal observation - It seems to me there are a lot fewer higher grade 7-10 cards coming to market. I think about this in a context of old muscle cars - I used to be able to go to a car show and see rows and rows of incredible cars including some of the most rare. It seems these days most of these cars have been gobbled up and sit in private collections for years.

Another thought I have is the prices relative to other collected categories - How much does a great or rare painting sell for? Previously mentioned cars? Coins? Art other than paintings? Jewelry? In that context Sports cards and memorabilia are in their financial infancy.

One way or another, things are going to stay interesting....... Collect what you enjoy and you'll rarely be sorry.
I only seen a tiny bit of the last Mecum auction but how did prices compare to previous auctions?
I believe it was Carol Shelby's Cobra that sold for 5.3-5 million. I also believe that was a new record?
Old 02-01-2021, 03:05 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
I don't think we've caught the Superman #1 comic yet. If one the Mantle PSA 10s ever sells during this, maybe we'll see. Not sure if one of those has sold in forever either though (dunno much about them)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:16 PM
J@son Per1

I'm quite bullish on the next 6 months. After that, who knows. I can see a leveling off post Covid but that '52 Mays card is only going up.

Vintage baseball has seen a steady growth these past 12-18 months. Certain players went up substantially (Ruth, Aaron, Mays and Robinson in particular) but a lot of other players didn't move that much, especially compared to basketball and to modern.

In the past ten days since Hank Aaron's passing, vintage has made a big jump and it seems to be involving a greater variety of old cards. There's likely another stimulus coming and the sports card market has been in the news quite a bit lately. You've got mainstream sports media like ESPN and The Ringer talking about it (the first episode of The Ringer sports card podcast was horrid btw). The momentum is huge and the next 6 months should see more growth.

Yes, some collectors will be taking a profit, but more people continue to enter the market. Things look good and the bubble is expanding like 5-piece wad of chewing gum being blown by Kurt freaken Bevacqua. Put me in the bulls corner.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:28 PM
Howard Chasser

Default That is part of tthe point I was trying to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I don't think we've caught the Superman #1 comic yet. If one the Mantle PSA 10s ever sells during this, maybe we'll see. Not sure if one of those has sold in forever either though (dunno much about them)
The guys who own those things rarely sell them. I think the last Gem MT Mantle sold 20+ years ago in an REA auction for like 30K!

As the supply of the "best" is removed from the market, it becomes a question of "the best available" - Is it only me or have others seen a dwindling offering of some of the Key rookies and stars graded 8-10?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Supply of many cards is drying up; no one wants to leave money on the table. This is probably a very good time to start selling off the chaff.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-01-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:05 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

2 random observations.

1) I agree that the Ringer’s card podcast wasn’t good. “Clemens PSA 10 RC’s are relatively affordable”.

2) I think the surge in vintage softens slightly when Spring Training starts and everyone is projecting Soto or Tatis to win MVP.

That’s all. And as per forum rules,
Adam Wanaselja.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:18 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

When everyone is talking about how easy it is to flip ( insert.item here) in a weeks time, be fearful. Just my opinion

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-01-2021, 05:34 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
The guys who own those things rarely sell them. I think the last Gem MT Mantle sold 20+ years ago in an REA auction for like 30K!

As the supply of the "best" is removed from the market, it becomes a question of "the best available" - Is it only me or have others seen a dwindling offering of some of the Key rookies and stars graded 8-10?
Oh I meant the Superman #1. Looks like 2014 was the last sale for it.

Still a ways to go before getting close to top artwork. But then those are one of a kind
Old 02-01-2021, 05:35 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

It’s crazy, the cheapest 52 jackie on eBay right now is $25,000 for a bvg 4
Old 02-01-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:

It sold for 275k in 2001.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:44 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

If you think this is a bubble, and are calling a top (or close to it), then liquidate everything. Earmark the money for cards. Then, when the market declines, you can buy back all your old cards, plus many more, with the same money. Your collection will come out ahead in the long-run. However, calling a top is hard. I think it was Warren Buffet that said he would love just to be able to get within 20% of predicting a top and bottom.

I’m no expert, but I personally think that the card market will experience a nice correction when the Covid-19 money exits. When somewhat of normalcy returns, card budgets will disappear for other entertainment spending, such as vacations, experiences, etc.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:01 PM
Curt

I am in the same boat as you. I never had the intention of selling.
It has always been in the back of my mind, but I was really hoping that my sons would take an interest. I would have lost my mind to inherit a collection a fraction as cool as i feel mine is.

It's hard not to consider getting the most out of the key cards that are exploding though. I will probably let this opportunity pass me by, as i really don't want to sell them plus I hate the hassles that come with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Header says it. I collect 52 and 56 Topps. And observing the prices, some players are going gangbusters. For example, Robinson and Mays in the 52 set. I bought a PSA 6 Mays, dead centered in 2014 for $2600, and just in the last week, a PSA 5, badly centered, sold for a whopping $12,600.

Part of me thinks maybe I should cash out. But I'm not in this for money, and I love my collection. But I'm trying to be real about it. Is this a bubble? Or are we seeing a correction on cards like the Mays and Robinson that have been historically undervalued when compared to the Mantle?

Do I hang on to the card, or take the money and reinvest?
Old 02-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I am in agreement with this in that card budgets will drop as people return to vacations, movies and concerts etc.

One other aspect though is people like me who have taken advantage of the spike and sold a few big cards that I wasn't too connected to. I now have a bigger card budget than in the recent past. So I think some of it will continue based on people like me liquidating only to infuse it right back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
If you think this is a bubble, and are calling a top (or close to it), then liquidate everything. Earmark the money for cards. Then, when the market declines, you can buy back all your old cards, plus many more, with the same money. Your collection will come out ahead in the long-run. However, calling a top is hard. I think it was Warren Buffet that said he would love just to be able to get within 20% of predicting a top and bottom.

I’m no expert, but I personally think that the card market will experience a nice correction when the Covid-19 money exits. When somewhat of normalcy returns, card budgets will disappear for other entertainment spending, such as vacations, experiences, etc.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:38 AM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
It’s crazy, the cheapest 52 jackie on eBay right now is $25,000 for a bvg 4
I bought that Jackie (that exact card) for $6k a couple of months ago, and traded it for what I had in it, as the centering bugged me. It was $15k two days ago, then they raised the price $10k when all other '52 Jackies sold.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Smile

I better list mine for $20K

Or not...
Old 02-02-2021, 08:58 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I better list mine for $20K

I had that card in VG-ish shape 20 years ago and sold it for probably $500. Whoops.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-02-2021 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:20 AM
Larry More.y

There appear to be no reasonable limits as to what people are willing to pay for cards currently. One example of this is the 1968 Topps #280 Mantle PSA 9. In 2005, I way overpaid ($1500) for a copy of this card. Until 2016, the card's value hovered around $1000. The buying events of 2016 caused this card to become a $3k +/- card. Fast forward to this month, two copies have recently sold for $16k and $14k???? I would not consider this card a low pop card as there are 177 copies in this grade.

Any ideas what the next copy of this card will sell for?
Old 02-02-2021, 10:47 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I am in agreement with this in that card budgets will drop as people return to vacations, movies and concerts etc.

One other aspect though is people like me who have taken advantage of the spike and sold a few big cards that I wasn't too connected to. I now have a bigger card budget than in the recent past. So I think some of it will continue based on people like me liquidating only to infuse it right back in.
Two economic forces will concurrently operate to push down prices at some point.

First, as previously mentioned, the demand for cards will drop when Covid eases up. People will eventually return to spending their hard-earned money on vacations, concerts, experiences, etc. Their laser-focused entertainment budgets, which are currently just on cards, will splinter into many different directions.

Secondly, when Covid eases up, some collectors, who will now have more entertainment options, will grow bored and exit the hobby. They will no longer have the money or desire to continue collecting cardboard. When the drop in demand starts sending prices down, these collectors will panic and rush to sell their cards to lock in decent profits/prices. This will in turn increase the supply for sale..

Decreased demand and increased supply is bad news for prices, but good news for us true collectors that buy and hold. Although I enjoy seeing my collection’s value increase, it is moot because I’m not selling. The increased value is simply on paper and will remain there. I’m tired of being priced out of the cards that I want. I simply refuse to pay 3x last January’s prices for cards on my wish list.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:57 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I can imagine if oen could somehow see the "order flow"

the selling side would outnumber the buying side by a high margin. There is a Goldin auction every month with millions of dollars of cards being..ahem "SOLD"

1952 topps joe black PSA 2 did 400 last night, right

Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 AM
Ste.ve J0hn.son

I've lurked here for long enough and never felt the need to post until now.

I'm down to maybe a total of 50-60 cards to knock off 66T, 64 Philly FB, 67 T FB, and a handful of others and it's killing me to think I can't do it unless I spend $250 on a Horace Clarke rookie card - which I can afford but can't do on principle.

That causes me to think about selling my old sets or cashing in on my PSA 6 Rose rookie. But then I wouldn't have those cards anymore. This conundrum bothers me every day and I guess waiting it out is the only answer.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:38 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfsteve View Post
I've lurked here for long enough and never felt the need to post until now.

I'm down to maybe a total of 50-60 cards to knock off 66T, 64 Philly FB, 67 T FB, and a handful of others and it's killing me to think I can't do it unless I spend $250 on a Horace Clarke rookie card - which I can afford but can't do on principle.

That causes me to think about selling my old sets or cashing in on my PSA 6 Rose rookie. But then I wouldn't have those cards anymore. This conundrum bothers me every day and I guess waiting it out is the only answer.
Glad I have my Horace...wow...just looked, Deans Cards has the cheapest example?? WTF? That says it all right there...wow.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 02-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post

Good luck.
Agreed, also when financial publications stop touting cards as investments.

I basically took the money I was going to spend on Hotels and transportation to the National last August and Comic Con in October and put thee money in a savings account. I'm just waiting for the speculators to exit and i'll take this money (plus the .001 percent interest) and resume finishing my vintage sets.

I realize prices will always be strong for Hi Grade material, but there is no reason why collector grade EXMT and lower should remain at ridiculous levels once everyone returns to their normal activities.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If anyone really thinks this is a bubble about to burst, where are the sellers? Inventory of good stuff is down to nothing. Some cards I've been looking for lately have no examples for sale, or no new ones.

Or not...
Old 02-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
If anyone really thinks this is a bubble about to burst, where are the sellers? Inventory of good stuff is down to nothing. Some cards I've been looking for lately have no examples for sale, or no new ones.
This hobby is addictive, new collectors came in during covid period. some might left, but i bet many will continue. And these really rich people are buying it, for fun + SHOWOFF
Old 02-02-2021, 01:41 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
SHOWOFF
Absolutely this. I'm only back in the hobby for several months, but it's pretty obvious to me that for a lot of people, it's not really about cards at all - it's just another (pardon my French) d***-measuring contest to see who has the rarest, the mintiest, the most expensive, etc.

Last edited by ASF123; 02-02-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:19 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
I’ve noticed this too. Nothing showing up on eBay and also helps explain the numerous WTB threads here.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
I’ve noticed this too. Nothing showing up on eBay and also helps explain the numerous WTB threads here.
Fear of leaving money on the table is keeping cards off eBay. People don't want to sell goods cards and then see them sell for double the next day.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:33 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Fear of leaving money on the table is keeping cards off eBay. People don't want to sell goods cards and then see them sell for double the next day.
Guess they all must be going to goldin

Old 02-02-2021, 03:05 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Absolutely this. I'm only back in the hobby for several months, but it's pretty obvious to me that for a lot of people, it's not really about cards at all - it's just another (pardon my French) d***-measuring contest to see who has the rarest, the mintiest, the most expensive, etc.
Those guys are making way too much money, Ferrari is not as show off as 1/1 mahomes or 52 mantle psa 9. driving that you won't be interviewing by media , on the news. but buying a psa 9 52 mantle your face is all over the media. Every media is looking to interview you. when you have a couple thousand of these ppl , things are not coming back down. To them, these are tiny portion of their portfolio, it's cheaper compare to own than a ferrari for 15 years(including maintenance) probably holds or increase value
Old 02-02-2021, 03:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

And they wont care when it is worth far less, if they need to liquidate or just move on to something else

Old 02-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
Yes, some collectors will be taking a profit, but more people continue to enter the market. Things look good and the bubble is expanding like 5-piece wad of chewing gum being blown by Kurt freaken Bevacqua. Put me in the bulls corner.
He couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat!

I love my collection and spent so much time collecting and upgrading. It felt like 90% of the time along the way I was the sucker because I won an auction that was above VCP. But if I waited for VCP, I would have never got the card. Then someone gave me life changing advice. He said "you never pay too much, you just pay too soon" Obviously this meant that the price would eventually get there so stop fretting and just realize that it is a long game.

I have told the story before, but when I first got on the board, someone asked what they should pay for a 33 Goudey Ruth. There were about four immediate responses on top of each other and every response was a variation of "a grand a grade". So, around 2014, I began searching for a 4-5 for $4,000 or $5,000. I was not seeing it. In fact I was having trouble finding one for half that (and maybe I was looking in the wrong spot). I didn't want to be the idiot that overpaid, so I kept waiting. I will probably never be able to own that Ruth now - and definitely won't be able to won all four of them liked I hoped.

It is fun watching sold card prices these days. I bought my PSA 6 Aaron for about 10% of what it is going for now back in 2015. But, if I sold it, it would mean that I no longer have an Aaron and the money would either just go into my investment account or back into another card and I prefer Aaron. What I am finding now though is that the collection is starting to feel more like an asset class than a hobby. I fear fire and theft and the cost to insure continues to go up because the relative value goes up.

My only hope is that maybe, just maybe, those 86-90 sets that have been in binders and sheets that were worth more than the cards - will suddenly start having decent relative value to the late 70's/early 80's cards. I am hoping that folks will either throw them away or donate them to Tim Carroll so that he can make a picture. If that happens, and I am the last to hold onto them, they might end up with some value as well. I mean, there was a time when T206's were massively overproduced and it worked out okay!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 02-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
He couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat!

I love my collection and spent so much time collecting and upgrading. It felt like 90% of the time along the way I was the sucker because I won an auction that was above VCP. But if I waited for VCP, I would have never got the card. Then someone gave me life changing advice. He said "you never pay too much, you just pay too soon" Obviously this meant that the price would eventually get there so stop fretting and just realize that it is a long game.

I have told the story before, but when I first got on the board, someone asked what they should pay for a 33 Goudey Ruth. There were about four immediate responses on top of each other and every response was a variation of "a grand a grade". So, around 2014, I began searching for a 4-5 for $4,000 or $5,000. I was not seeing it. In fact I was having trouble finding one for half that (and maybe I was looking in the wrong spot). I didn't want to be the idiot that overpaid, so I kept waiting. I will probably never be able to own that Ruth now - and definitely won't be able to won all four of them liked I hoped.

It is fun watching sold card prices these days. I bought my PSA 6 Aaron for about 10% of what it is going for now back in 2015. But, if I sold it, it would mean that I no longer have an Aaron and the money would either just go into my investment account or back into another card and I prefer Aaron. What I am finding now though is that the collection is starting to feel more like an asset class than a hobby. I fear fire and theft and the cost to insure continues to go up because the relative value goes up.

My only hope is that maybe, just maybe, those 86-90 sets that have been in binders and sheets that were worth more than the cards - will suddenly start having decent relative value to the late 70's/early 80's cards. I am hoping that folks will either throw them away or donate them to Tim Carroll so that he can make a picture. If that happens, and I am the last to hold onto them, they might end up with some value as well. I mean, there was a time when T206's were massively overproduced and it worked out okay!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 02-02-2021, 04:15 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
Hell, even what I do - trolling around for reasonably priced mid-grade raw HOF cards - seems to be getting harder in the past several days.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Last year I sold some basketball cards that were going absolutely ape-shit crazy. I sold them on the way up, far above what I paid but well below where they peaked. I replaced them with lower grade examples for a tiny fraction of the price. Haven't regretted it a bit. Sometimes you just have to decide that this % of gain is enough and take the profit. I do not profess to know where that number is, but it seems to me that when inventory goes nearly to zero it is a good time to consider cashing out. For a lot of the cards that have soared in price and that have zero inventory, it might be worthwhile to list what you have at 2x the last sale price and see what happens. I am very tempted to do so.

Or not...
Old 02-03-2021, 12:00 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I can imagine if oen could somehow see the "order flow"

the selling side would outnumber the buying side by a high margin. There is a Goldin auction every month with millions of dollars of cards being..ahem "SOLD"

1952 topps joe black PSA 2 did 400 last night, right
And it was an awful 2.

But to be fair, his other high numbers did not get strong prices
Old 02-03-2021, 07:44 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
In my case, almost all of my purchases come from eBay because the cards I need are there. I post wanting to purchase upgrades for my 53 Bowman color set on Net54 for two reasons: many sellers on eBay over-grade their cards and the amount that I've been paying in taxes on my purchases has added significantly to the cost of the cards I have purchased. I also look to collect through a like-minded community rather than the open market as it's enjoyable to read the multiple perspectives regarding our hobby.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:09 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
And it was an awful 2.

But to be fair, his other high numbers did not get strong prices
hey dont you have one John! lol

I just cant believe the Jackie prices, If my highs were complete (sans mick and mathews) I'd list the whole dam lot and see if these "buyers" are really paying this kind of money for cards

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 02-03-2021 at 08:19 AM.