NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Chris

Default Verdict on screw downs

I know that non-recessed screw downs are trouble across the board and should be avoided. But is there a consensus on recessed screw downs that for specific issue cards - T206, 52-56 Topps, standard issue, etc.

I use them but the more I read the more I wonder if I’m doing damage.

What does this forum think of recessed screw downs? And if you don’t use them, what do you use for your most valuable raw cards? Sometimes I feel like I need more than a card saver 2.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:53 AM
St@n Go.len

Top loader. Or if you use non recessed screwdowns, use a penny sleeve and don't overscrew.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 09:56 AM

Default Protecting Cards

I have nothing but raw cards in my collection. Not investment quality. I use sleeves and toploaders. And I purchase many different widths of toploaders to get the best fit.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I have never had any trouble with non recessed screw downs. Have used them for 20 years and have changed hundreds and hundreds in and out without a single issue

Last edited by campyfan39; 02-21-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

My old collection was in non recessed screw downs for probably 25 years. I posted some of them here and people went crazy. I started changing them over to recessed screw downs but the old ones had no issues at all. Every card was completely fine. I probably had three dozen vintage cards in them. I think where you store them is as important if not more on how you store them. Mine were always in an airtight tub and in a dry dark place. Even all my raw cards were as perfect as the day I stored them. Moisture and light are bad for any collectibles especially paper ones.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:57 AM
D@le Irv*n

I had my 52 Topps Mantle and Mays in screw downs for many years but quickly removed them when many on here told about the possible hazards.
Luckily I never tightened the screws anymore than I had too and I am also glad I decided to store them on their side rather than flat to help keep the weight off the actual card.

In my opinion, with recessed screw downs now available, it makes no sense to me to not use them if one likes screw downs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps 3.JPG (59.4 KB, 646 views)
Old 02-21-2021, 12:22 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A fallacy created by PSA and the TPG Gods, and widely accepted by their sheeple... they want to scare you into thinking they provide a vital service.

If you like the way they look in screw-downs, then use them. As long as you don't force the screws unreasonably tight, the card will be well protected.

I have sold/traded cards that were in screwdowns for over 20 years, and all came out fine. Many of the cards' new owners felt the need to submit to TPG, and all have received the exact numerical grades that you'd expect.

Do what you like and don't buy into the self-serving agenda.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I had my 52 Topps Mantle and Mays in screw downs for many years but quickly removed them when many on here told about the possible hazards.
Luckily I never tightened the screws anymore than I had too and I am also glad I decided to store them on their side rather than flat to help keep the weight off the actual card.

In my opinion, with recessed screw downs now available, it makes no sense to me to not use them if one likes screw downs.
I have found that the recessed screw-downs often allow the card to move around within the case, and do not hold firmly enough. Especially those that are molded for tobacco-sized cards. This movement in itself can cause more damage than any perceived issue with non-recessed cases.

And I cannot even find recessed cases for Goudey... so I go with non-recessed, and not a single example has subsequently failed to numerically grade.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 PM
Ken Wirt

Agree with the other posters here: I have used non-recessed screw-downs for years, and have never seen any damage upon removal. I store them on their sides, and don't overtighten.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I have found that the recessed screw-downs often allow the card to move around within the case, and do not hold firmly enough. Especially those that are molded for tobacco-sized cards. This movement in itself can cause more damage than any perceived issue with non-recessed cases.

And I cannot even find recessed cases for Goudey... so I go with non-recessed, and not a single example has subsequently failed to numerically grade.
For sure using the proper size, if available, is paramount but according to many on this site, many have had issues over the years.
Not saying one way or another if they are good or bad as I never encountered any problems the way I used and stored mine, but by the sounds of it, many have.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152019
Old 02-21-2021, 12:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
For sure using the proper size, if available, is paramount but according to many on this site, many have had issues over the years.
Not saying one way or another if they are good or bad as I never encountered any problems the way I used and stored mine, but by the sounds of it, many have.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152019
Hmmm... maybe if exposed to extreme humidity, a glossy type card could stick to the top half? Curious to know what were the specific issues, if you can recall?

Last edited by perezfan; 02-21-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:42 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

I’ve never seen a detailed example from anyone but I’m betting any cards with issues have been stored in places not considered safe in any collectable situation. I know many collectors who have stored cards in places with no environmental control such as non climate controlled storage units. Where is as important as how in my experience. I’ve seen old plastic toys crumble due to poor storage. Cardboard and is even more sensitive to the elements.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:21 PM
Bruce Mattioli

I had been storing my prized cards in screw downs since 1984 but moved them to recessed holders out of fear of reading articles of the potential damage they can cause. Never saw any damage..
Old 02-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Fred

My negative experience with a screw down holder.

Purchased a T201 (very think stock card) in a screw down holder. I removed 3 of the 4 screws and while working on the fourth screw, the top part of the plastic piece barely shifted, but it was enough to tear a corner off my WaJo T201. Yeah, I was a little bummed out. Lesson learned - loosen ALL four corners before trying to remove the card.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 PM
Ben North

I don't store any cards in them. I do use them a lot for shipping single cards. They are the best insurance you can get against damage. Most screw downs you could run over with your car and not damage the card inside it.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:58 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

At the time you really did not want this to happen value wise, I tried removing a Brett Hull rookie from a screwdown. It peeled the top layer up on at minimum, a quarter of the card. This was one of those extra thick screw downs, so I was not pulling, it was basically gravity. Never touched them again.

Also, I know many people that received the dreaded “altered stock “ designation when trying to grade their 80s collections of screwdowns. This is 2021, not a chance I would use such an outdated storage method when there are so many I think are visually better.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 02-21-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Fred

I agree with Ben, great way to ship. I've always removed the cards from screw downs if I received them that way. I've always been weary that if the card was SCREWED down tight, it might actually affect the stock and possibly damage to card in one way or another.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:54 PM
Chris

Thanks for all the input, guys. I guess most agree that recessed screw downs with the screws not overly tight should be ok.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:17 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Recessed holders are just fine, even if you fully tighten the screws. I purchased many cards already in them during the late 80s and early 90s. Some were screwed so tight that there were small spider cracks near the holes.

Who knows how long the dealers that I purchased the cards from had them in there. I kept the cards untouched and in them for more than a quarter of a century. In 2019, I had the cards all graded. They all received numerical grades.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Both types of holders are fine assuming you are at least moderately careful with your collection. Don't use a power drill to tighten screws on a non-recessed; don't use your recessed holdered cards to play long toss with in the basement when your friends come over. Valuable cards are also fine in toploaders and card savers, assuming you are not careless. Each unto their own. At various points over 35 years of collecting, I've used just about everything - and never had a major problem.

Caveat - if you use toploaders, don't drop your cards into a lake, or the toilet, in the toploader. The water will remain and become problematic. As a kid, a friend learned this lesson the hard way with a 1965 Topps Mickey Mantle.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-22-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:29 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Both types of holders are fine assuming you are at least moderately careful with your collection. Don't use a power drill to tighten screws on a non-recessed; .
however, if its a regular screwdown a power drill is fine.

has anyone actually used a power drill to seal a case?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
however, if its a regular screwdown a power drill is fine.

has anyone actually used a power drill to seal a case?
Not me...

I just tighten until I feel mild to moderate resistance, and then stop. Actually, the hardest part of the process (with non-recessed) is perfectly centering the card, and getting it to actually stay that way.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:32 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Visually better? I don't think there is any way to display a card that is visually better than just the card itself. PSA with the bright red looks awful on most cards IMO.

When you see a graded card the first thing you look at is the number. Then you scan the card for flaws to figure out why it got that number grade. "Graded a 3? Why? Oh yeah, there is the crease/wrinkle."

When a card is displayed "raw" you just look at the card itself and appreciate the beauty of it. Graders are geniuses at marketing bc even that term "raw" has negative connotations to it, as if it is incomplete without their subjective, costly opinion. I prefer the term "pure."

At a card and coin show in the 80's I ask my late father about the grades on coins. He assured me that would never happen to cards as it would "totally detract from the beauty." Sadly he passed years ago before the advent of grading so I cannot ask him for his opinion now that it is reality.

One last thing then I will get off my soapbox haha. Just out of curiosity I went and unscrewed one of my nicest cards that has been in a 1/2 inch screwdown for more than a decade and a half. No problems at all. I think the issies are when they are stacked and all of that weight compresses. That and humidity etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
At the time you really did not want this to happen value wise, I tried removing a Brett Hull rookie from a screwdown. It peeled the top layer up on at minimum, a quarter of the card. This was one of those extra thick screw downs, so I was not pulling, it was basically gravity. Never touched them again.

Also, I know many people that received the dreaded “altered stock “ designation when trying to grade their 80s collections of screwdowns. This is 2021, not a chance I would use such an outdated storage method when there are so many I think are visually better.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:57 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Visually better? I don't think there is any way to display a card that is visually better than just the card itself. PSA with the bright red looks awful on most cards IMO.

When you see a graded card the first thing you look at is the number. Then you scan the card for flaws to figure out why it got that number grade. "Graded a 3? Why? Oh yeah, there is the crease/wrinkle."

When a card is displayed "raw" you just look at the card itself and appreciate the beauty of it. Graders are geniuses at marketing bc even that term "raw" has negative connotations to it, as if it is incomplete without their subjective, costly opinion. I prefer the term "pure."

At a card and coin show in the 80's I ask my late father about the grades on coins. He assured me that would never happen to cards as it would "totally detract from the beauty." Sadly he passed years ago before the advent of grading so I cannot ask him for his opinion now that it is reality.

One last thing then I will get off my soapbox haha. Just out of curiosity I went and unscrewed one of my nicest cards that has been in a 1/2 inch screwdown for more than a decade and a half. No problems at all. I think the issies are when they are stacked and all of that weight compresses. That and humidity etc.
Completely agree with you. I had a perfect Red Heart Mantle in one for over 25 years. Card was fine a few weeks ago when I took it out. Still had the nice finish of the card intact. Keeping them in a temperature controlled environment and away from moisture and light is critical no matter what you have them stored in. I also collect vintage 1960's GI Joes and watched perfect rubber scuba suits on figures rot right before my eyes from absorbing humidity here. They were perfect for years when I lived in North Texas but the humidity here is brutal. I now have a humidity control unit in my collectables room. Necessary item here in Central Texas.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 02-22-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

I think you are only considering graded slabs, I don’t mind the Beckett or older flip sgc personally, however as someone who does not submit that was not what I was talking about. As it is just preference really, I use mostly magnetic UltraPro holders as I like the shine, look and quality as well as how they enhance my card. I have hundreds and never had one open unwanted and the proper thickness keeps movement to less than a graded slab without an ugly baggie in it.

I can’t imagine having piles of half inch or three quarter inch oversized slabs and having a sizable collection. I have at minimum 300 thousand cards and it already takes up an entire room. It’s just preferable for looks and space to me.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM
John Hanssen

becouse all thread need cards in them here is my screw down card desater. 3 corners with chipping of the surface. It took a card from a fairly nice condition maybe a (psa6) or so, to a how knows what it would grade now? You guys can make your own guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.9 KB, 257 views)

Last edited by nebboy; 02-24-2021 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:30 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
becouse all thread need cards in them here is my screw down card desater. 3 corners with chipping of the surface. It took a card from a fairly nice condition maybe a (psa6) or so, to a how knows what it would grade now? You guys can make your own guess.
No penny sleeve?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 07:53 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Any context? How long was it in there? How was it stored? What was temp and humidity in place it was stored etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
Old 02-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Justin, check these pics out. I don't have them in piles I have all of my cards displayed so I can enjoy them. God bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I think you are only considering graded slabs, I don’t mind the Beckett or older flip sgc personally, however as someone who does not submit that was not what I was talking about. As it is just preference really, I use mostly magnetic UltraPro holders as I like the shine, look and quality as well as how they enhance my card. I have hundreds and never had one open unwanted and the proper thickness keeps movement to less than a graded slab without an ugly baggie in it.

I can’t imagine having piles of half inch or three quarter inch oversized slabs and having a sizable collection. I have at minimum 300 thousand cards and it already takes up an entire room. It’s just preferable for looks and space to me.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:02 AM
Steve Murray

These are the ones I use. Recessed. Never a problem.

From Safeco Plastics, Inc. Huntington Beach. Don't know if they're still in business.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holders (2).jpg (14.6 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 02-26-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:15 PM
Chris

Chris, love the display wall
Old 02-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Ken Wirt

^ This!! Terrific display.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Same.... Absolutely LOVE the wall display, Chris! A true labor of love!

On a separate note.... Why the hell isn't there a recessed holder option for Goudey???
Old 02-26-2021, 01:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Justin, check these pics out. I don't have them in piles I have all of my cards displayed so I can enjoy them. God bless

Chris, I have meant to tell you this on the postwar side, but I love your collection and approach.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:26 PM
Chris

All that color looks so good up there
Old 02-26-2021, 02:27 PM
Chris

Quote:
Same.... Absolutely LOVE the wall display, Chris! A true labor of love!

On a separate note.... Why the hell isn't there a recessed holder option for Goudey???
The fact that a recessed Goudey holder doesn’t exist blows my mind.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Chris, I have meant to tell you this on the postwar side, but I love your collection and approach.
As someone that has seen Chris’ collection in person believe me it is a thing of jeolousy, er I mean, beauty.

Drew

Btw, it is fun flipping one of Chris’ holders upside down just to wait to see how long before his OCD senses perk up. I swear he can hear if a card is slightly out of place.😁.
Just kidding buddy.
Drew
Old 02-26-2021, 04:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
As someone that has seen Chris’ collection in person believe me it is a thing of jeolousy, er I mean, beauty.

Drew

Btw, it is fun flipping one of Chris’ holders upside down just to wait to see how long before his OCD senses perk up. I swear he can hear if a card is slightly out of place.😁.
Just kidding buddy.
Drew
I can tell right away from the symmetrical and meticulously even placement, that he and I share the same disease.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:50 PM
John Hanssen

Quote:
Any context? How long was it in there? How was it stored? What was temp and humidity in place it was stored etc?
Not much info to give, because I bought the card in this condition. The seller use said that he had stored the card in a 3/4 to 1" screw down holder. He was so mad with himself about the damage, that he sold the card to me very cheap. As soon as I handed him the money he payed out for and bought another 56 Mantle in a psa 7. I was in the right place at the right time.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:08 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. Yes OCD can be good sometimes haha. There is certainly some monetary value to my collection (not in comparison to some on this board who I love looking at their stuff) yet almost all of my cards have memories and connections. Most of those wonderful memories are with my late father and my wife who supports my addiction
Not to hijack this thread but here are a couple more pics:
God Bless

Autographed 53's (my favorite set)

Old 02-26-2021, 06:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the nice comments. Yes OCD can be good sometimes haha. There is certainly some monetary value to my collection (not in comparison to some on this board who I love looking at their stuff) yet almost all of my cards have memories and connections. Most of those wonderful memories are with my late father and my wife who supports my addiction
God Bless

That is amazing, thank you for sharing!
Old 02-27-2021, 02:10 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

God Bless

Amazing, Chris!! I love all those ungraded cards together!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Quote:

If you use a sleeve first, and then the screwdown, you wont have any problems.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 AM
Derek

Default Screwdown slabs

I have had paper and print loss from cheap 70s plastic slabs sticking to the card. Sleeved first and I don't see an issue.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:23 AM
Al Richter

I do not store them in slabs and am an ungraded collector. In building my 74 Deckle sets I twice bought cards in non recessed slabs that when opened resulted in some damage from the cards being stuck to one surface. Agree with some of the above comments that this may have resulted from conditions in which they were stored. But since then I have always insisted that a seller showing a card in such a holder first send me a picture front and back of the card out of the holder before buying/bidding. If they say no I pass
Old 03-01-2021, 10:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I do not store them in slabs and am an ungraded collector. In building my 74 Deckle sets I twice bought cards in non recessed slabs that when opened resulted in some damage from the cards being stuck to one surface. Agree with some of the above comments that this may have resulted from conditions in which they were stored. But since then I have always insisted that a seller showing a card in such a holder first send me a picture front and back of the card out of the holder before buying/bidding. If they say no I pass
I purchased a Darryl Sittler RC that was in a thin screw down slab. Trusting the sellers description and not seeing anything suspect in the scans, I purchased it but found out the hard way, once it was freed from the screw down, that it was creased horizontally across the middle of the card. Lesson learned but I was refunded and sent the card back.