NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180160399177&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=008

I've hoped to get one of these for years. Back before most folks realized that Rhodes was difficult. I recall calling Kit Young years ago, the day his catalog appeared listing one for sale. I immediately called, but it was already sold. I could not understand why it had gotten into the catalog in the first place, since I'd been listing it in my short list of wanted cards when they'd solicit such. At that point I figured it was wasted effort on my part to fill out the want list. I'd thought that me "wanting" a card would result in a call back or mail notice that one was available. Now I think they were either using it for market information... or merely as PR.

At any rate, someone picked up one of the most difficult of the T3s... congratulations Jelly Bean.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Larry

I wonder what the Rhoades would have went for in excellent condition?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: joe

Hi Frank, what is the story, if any about this card? Why so scarce?

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Marc S.

There was an Excellent condition one in a Memory Lane auction earlier this year that went for $7,000 -- if you choose to believe the sale and price.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I came very near to completing the T3 set back in the early '90s. And,"near" is the operative
word here......as, I never did acquire Rhoades. I even had 24 of the 26 of Boxers. But, I could
not find this card and price guides then listed this card as common. The PSA SMR still does not
identify this card with a premium value.

TED Z

Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Craig D

Here's my take on the Rhoades card.

Rhoades actually played his final game on 8/19/09, which was several months before the first series T3s were issued. Rhoades - #114 - was in the second series. Because T3s were distributed based on the requests of those who redeemed coupons, Rhoades was probably one of the least requested by the time the second series rolled around since he had been out of baseball for quite some time. Building on this thought, since his card may have been requested infrequently, it may have actually been pulled from later printing runs. In the second series, collectors find the Turkey Red "Ad Backs" - these backs were almost certainly produced later or nearing the end of the T3 promotion period. I have owned and handled several Rhoades cards over the years and have never seen a Rhoades with an "Ad Back". A potentially short print became an even shorter print by being left off the "Ad Back" printing runs.

Hope that helps.

www.t3turkeyred.com

Craig

Old 09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Craig has a good idea about the Rhodes, I think. I knew about when he left the game, a high number, and a lack of demand. I was not aware of the ad back aspect.

T3s were all requested. So there should be more Cobbs, Lajoies, Mathewsons and McGraws. These 4 were in the first bunch of cards. Walter Johnson doesn't appear until the second series.

Jack Johnson at #76 always troubled me... it is like he's added on the list. Some cards showed 1-75 on the back, some 1-76 (adding Johnson). The second series of cards show him still at 76, but his # is one line further down, putting the card slightly out of balance. Maybe there was a mail in demand for him and an initial reluctance to issue him....

Good thinking, Craig, on the ad back!

Truthfully, I think the sale of a T3 Rhodes is more significant, hobby defining moment, than the auction of a bunch of PSA 8 white border cards. How many Turkey Red Rhodes are graded, what is the pop report on him??

Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: ockday

There are 15 graded by PSA, which by the way does not make it the rarest at least as far as PSA is concerned

Old 09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Bob

It's odd that the arm extended Rhoades which appears to be similar to this image is also a tough card in the T206 set.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Hey TBob,

I think the T206 card was discarded by kids years ago. I think that is part of the situation with Powers, too.

I think most of us who bought Topps cards as kids, back when they came out in series, would focus on the current year. Last year's cards weren't as coveted. We wanted cards of stars, not obscure rookies. And as far as last year's cards went, we were most interested in active stars, rather than retired players. Once a guy retired we were less concerned with him.

So I figure that once Rhodes left the majors, that's when interest in his card waned, and some would have been tossed in the trash. The T206 Rhodes was a series 350 card that would have come shortly after he retired, I think.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Tbob, Frank:

After reading your posts about the scarcity of the Rhoades, I'm a little surprised that it sold for only $1,200, even considering the grade. The card looks like it presents well, it's obviously rare/scarce and it comes from a highly collected, mainstream set that many collectors consider to be the best-looking cards of all time. Being a Cleveland collector, I'd have been happy to add a truly scarce card like this to my collection for that price.

Did the selling price surprise either of you?

Rob

Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

BOB M and FRANK W

Bob....your observation on Dusty Rhoads' 2nd T206 card (arm extended), I fully agree with (after having
assembled 4 - T206 sets).
And, I'm glad that Frank brought up his same T3 card, because it has to be more than just a coincidence.

However, his T206 (hands at chest) card I have found to be very available. It had to be the 1st printed
of these two in the 350 Series; and, the Arm Extended version a later design.

If anyone has a good explanation for this difference....please tell us ?

Incidently, both these T206 Rhoads' cards are in the 350-only series and are found printed with 7 (or 8)
regular T-backs; therefore, conventional thinking says they should be equally available....but, this is not
the case with these two T206's.

TED Z

Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

FRANK W

Your observation on Johnson (#76) is interesting and seems to explain the obvious addition of #76 on the original T3 coupons.....

Ted Z

Old 09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: T206Collector

...it means anything, but Johnson was not just added to the coupon above. The whole third column was moved up as No. 51 is also above 26 and 1 in terms of alignment.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

This is interesting stuff....can we get some more inputs on this topic in order to solve this mystery ?

TED Z

Old 09-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: S Gross

Agree Rhodes is rarer due being a lesser known player. Same argument will be made by many (including myself) T9 collectors, that Marto (61) is the rarest T9 because he was (and still is) the biggest nobody of the set.

As far as Johnson, I think he was added by popular demand. Not that Turkey Red was prejudice to black boxers (Langford, 65, and Jeanette, 68, are included), they were probably prejudice over Johnson's unbeatable role as heavyweight champ. Since cards were requested by boxer, I would bet people just asked for Johnson, with or without even knowing he was in the set or not. When enough Johnson requests came in, ol' Turkey Red realized they might have an advertising problem, and produced the 76 card.

Just a thought ....

Old 09-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Default T3 Rhodes sells

Posted By: Craig D

Thought some of you would enjoy seeing these. Craig D.

www.t3turkeyred.com