NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2022, 02:04 PM
Rich Klein

Default Sad News -- Frank Barning

I received an email when I got home this afternoon that one of my mentors and dear friends in the business passed earlier today.

Frank Barning, editor of Baseball Hobby News, passed on this week.

In so many ways, Frank and Vivian helped to advance the hobby (and my hobby career as well) and while I had heard he was not in great health in recent years, the passing is still very sad for me.

Regards
Rich
Old 05-13-2022, 02:19 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Frank, Vivian, and Walt Crowell at BHN were great to me. When I moved to San Diego for a few years I enjoyed visiting them. They even took me to a ballgame once.

I thought of them when Gil Hodges made the HOF. He was their favorite vintage player.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:23 PM
John

Sad news...I enjoyed BHN and was a long time subscriber.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 06:08 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

That's sad news for me too.

I met Frank and Vivian shortly after they moved to San Diego. I'd see them at the monthly card show at a bowling alley in El Cajon (suburb of San Diego). They were one of my primary sources of T206s in the early 1980s when I was getting started on them. Then, when I got back into them around 2003 (after selling all my cards in 1991), they got me restarted on them. The first T206 I bought then, was a raw Cobb red background from them on ebay; it's now a PSA 4, and is firmly ensconced in my set.

They were always great to me. After I joined the Air Force in 1985, I'd see them on the rare occasions I went to a major show; but they always remembered me, that I'd joined the Air Force, and they always asked how I was doing.

Rest in Peace Frank, and my condolences to Vivian and their son Randy.

Steve

Edited to add:

Frank is also one of the few to actually have a card made by Topps:

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 05-13-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:55 AM
Rich Klein

There were 66 of us in Hobby Media who got those cards in 1992.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...een-topps-set/

One of my favorite board members now has the uncut sheet referenced in this article.

Rich
Old 05-14-2022, 02:43 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
There were 66 of us in Hobby Media who got those cards in 1992.
Hey Rich - COMC has you for sale!

1 card at $60 ish and another for $475 ish

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23427875717...r=533975411231
Old 05-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Saddens Me Greatly

So sad to hear this news. When I got back into the hobby in 1985, one of the first actions I took was to subscribe to Baseball Hobby News. What a great publication that was. Geared to the collector, not advertisers. No puff pieces. The articles were in-depth, not blurbs. There was a section where you could write about your collecting interests and submit it to BHN. It was a thrill when it ran mine.
I was disappointed when Frank and Vivian made the decision to end the publication in 1993. There will never be another pub like it.
Frank was truly a good person. When I would see him at Nationals he would always engage me in stimulating hobby and baseball talk. He was a man of passion and showed interest in what you had to say. You can't fake that. The hobby has lost someone special. Thank you, Frank and Vivian Barning for all you did for this great hobby. RIP, Frank.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:51 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Very sorry to read this...While it's been probably been 20 years since we last corresponded, I know he was a big fan of Gil Hodges and it's a shame that he will miss his HOF induction in July.

RIP Frank
Old 05-14-2022, 09:14 AM

Very sad news, Frank was a nice guy and a great ambassador for our hobby. I used to be a writer for Baseball Hobby News for the last few years of that publication and would see the Barnings at card shows. He had a binder of T206 cards on his table for $3 each which I usually flipped through, but I don't think I bought any, I wish I had. He surprised me and asked me to man his table once while he took a break and walked around the room. It was a sad day when Baseball Hobby News ceased publication and a sadder day now to hear that Frank is gone.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:58 AM
Mark Macrae

Like others who have already posted, Frank & Vivian did a lot of positives for the hobby. Sorry to read of Frank's passing. My condolences to Vivian and their extended family. I always enjoyed the visits at the National.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:24 PM
Al Richter

Old 05-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Art Martineau

Default RIP Frank Barning

Very sad news about Frank Barning. I never met Frank or Vivian but knew of their love of cards, especially T206 and the tough backs. Whenever dealers came across a T206 tough back it was sold to the Barnings. They accumulated a very impressive collection. I was fortunate to pick up a T206 Willetts, Detroit with Drum back on eBay when they sold off many cards years ago. Prayers to Vivian and the family.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:48 PM
Jon S.

Back in the early 80's I remember seeing Frank and Vivian set up at every show in California. I was fortunate to visit their home in San Diego with a few hobby friends. I recall seeing dozens of red T206 Cobbs and T204 Ramlys. It's a sad day and Frank will certainly be missed.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I don't think I ever met Frank. However, as I enjoy collecting old hobby periodicals I have seen Frank's name out there hundreds of times over many years. It's always sad to lose a hobbyist, especially one so instrumental in the earlier hobby. Rip Frank and condolences to family and friends.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:22 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

Sad news indeed. I knew Frank and Vivian when BHN was just starting out, when they lived on Long Island, as I did. They would set up at shows and give away free back issues of BHN in order to encourage subscriptions. I'd published some articles in SCD by then, but Frank made the decision to give me a monthly column, where I vented about random topics and generally made a pest of myself. Like the internet today, but without the really dark meanness.

Anyway, I continued to write for BHN for several years, and parted ways when Frank changed it from a tabloid into a slick magazine, in an attempt to capture significant newsstand sales. I never doubted his love and passion for the hobby, and for many years, he was a key figure.

Damn. The number of friends I've lost is outnumbering the number of friends I still have. Isn't that a capsule definition of getting old?

Alan Kleinberger
Old 05-17-2022, 07:07 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Frank Barning

I first met Frank and Vivian at the Willow Grove Show in March 1981. Over the years we would often trade T206 cards and 1949 BOWMAN cards.
We had some very enjoyable conversations throughout the years.
We will miss Frank.

GOD Bless his soul....and comfort his family and friends.

TED Z
Old 05-17-2022, 09:00 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Barning

Loved his "Barnstorming" columns!
Old 05-17-2022, 10:19 PM
Joe M.

BHN & SCD we’re the places to go in the day, lots of great info and ads.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13