NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 PM
Derek

Default Hga card grading

Has anyone tried them? Really liking their slabs but I've only seen modern cards graded by them.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:13 AM
And.y Ell.is

This company is new to me, I like their approach, but their pricing maybe an issue. I have sent some cards off to CSG last week and looking forward to seeing them come back.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:21 AM
Derek

Default 100% PSA graded collection vs mixed graded

Had hopes of having all my 33s slabbed by PSA but that's looking more and more unlikely. Do you think the grading company you choose greatly affects the long term value of your cards?
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD View Post
Had hopes of having all my 33s slabbed by PSA but that's looking more and more unlikely. Do you think the grading company you choose greatly affects the long term value of your cards?
Long term, no. Because any company can go bad in the public eye very quickly. Even old slabs from the same company are considered bad. To keep the economy going we are trained new is always better.

Short term, yes the magic plastic slab you choose means everything for value.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 AM
Derek

Default Only accepting moderns

Messaged with Samantha there. They only have modern card slabs at this time.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46 AM
Dan Paradis

Default Hga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD View Post
Had hopes of having all my 33s slabbed by PSA but that's looking more and more unlikely. Do you think the grading company you choose greatly affects the long-term value of your cards?
We all know about the PSA registry and its effect on card values. However, I don't believe the modern guys care as much about the registry. I believe HGA and maybe even CSG are going to be successful. There are several HGA cards being auctioned now, let's see what they end up selling for vs. PSA.

PSA = IBM (they'll survive and continue to do well, but will lose market share)
SGC = Data General/Burroughs (without pre-war they would be done (IMHO). They may not survive.
Beckett = Dell (will continue to do well)
CSG/HGA = Microsoft/Apple (for the younger generation will navigate to them. Look how great the modern cards look in their holders!)

I love CSG and HGA holders. Even as an old man, I will be using them for modern submissions. I always wondered why no one did custom labels based on the color of the cards and now see that HGA is!

I know a lot of you think only the card matters and not the label, but I like nice holders. I display most of my cards and consider the holder and the label important, just as I would a frame for a picture or painting.

Look how great these cards look!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-03-02_10-41-45.jpg (82.4 KB, 542 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
We all know about the PSA registry and its effect on card values. However, I don't believe the modern guys care as much about the registry.
I think the huge difference between modern card prices between PSA and Beckett points to a very different conclusion about the modern guys. I know whenever I am taken aback by PSA prices, I need to remind myself never to underestimate the power of the dark side... uh, I mean the registry.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:19 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
SGC = Data General/Burroughs (without pre-war they would be done (IMHO). They may not survive.

SGC has been around for a long time. Their business is growing. not sure how you get to 'they may not survive'.

as a lover of slabs, how can you not like SGC?
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 03-02-2021, 12:08 PM
Michael

HGA has the following on their website:

"We believe that cards should receive grades based not on who is on the card, the value of the card, or whether or not a grader is having a good or bad day. The cards should be graded solely on the presentation of the card itself. So, we are developing unique software that detects edges for crispness, corners for sharpness, centering for balance, and surfaces free of blemishes; we feel that we will grade your card accurately 100% of the time."

Sounds like what the person around here was developing. But, if HGA is still developing software as their site claims, does that mean that the grade of any card that has already been graded wasn't done with software?

I do like that they have a price per card that is not based on the perceived value of the graded card.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:11 PM
Dan Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid_Conroy View Post
SGC has been around for a long time. Their business is growing. not sure how you get to 'they may not survive'.

as a lover of slabs, how can you not like SGC?
SGC's retail value vs. PSA is terrible. When I buy an SGC card I expect to pay at least one grade lower than PSA. That is probably true with BGS and most definitely true with the new guys. I realize that's probably not true with some types of prewar cards that I no longer pay attention to.

I recently purchased an SGC card for a collection. I immediately took the card out of the slab. I could not believe how easy it was (even easier than PSA). I actually think I could have put a lesser graded card in there, sealed it back up without anyone knowing.

SGC is my least favorite slab. BGS was my favorite (nice looking, sturdy, almost impossible to bust open cleanly). However, I really believe the new guys are on to something with their design.

All that being said, SGC is the place to go along with PSA for pre-war. I don't expect any of the new companies to take any significant market share from them. So, you are correct, SGC will be around for a long time.

Thanks!