NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-29-2020, 10:18 AM

Mark, the panel proof 68 sticker is amazing. I actually prefer the proof over the actual sticker. I have two graded smaller stickers and just recently picked up a raw Brooks. The larger panels are nice but the sellers want a crazy price. I would love to own one but will settle with my smaller version. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-29-2020, 02:51 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
At the conclusion of every season the Orioles would have a Fan Appreciation weekend and one of the things they would do is choose children randomly as they entered the ballpark to be given game used jerseys of the players (as part of a pre-game ceremony). The players placed the jerseys on the children as a photo opportunity & then took them back to play that evening's game....Once the game was over, the jersey's/Thanks Fans Undershirts were washed, signed then sent to the recipient.

In 2000, a child from the Bowie area was the lucky winner of the Cal Ripken Jr. jersey. About 5-6 years ago that child (then in his early 20's) read about my collection somewhere and reached out to me to see if I would be interested in purchasing it from him. Fortunately, we were able to work it out and I drove down to Bowie one afternoon to pick it up and spent a nice day with him and his family hearing all the stories about that evening (they kept one photograph and fortunately included the rest of the photos and the Orioles paperwork with the jersey).

When I acquired it it was signed just "Cal Ripken Jr." but the next time I saw Cal I showed him the photos/paperwork, etc. and he added "2000 Game Used" underneath his original autograph....Did I mention that Cal homered that night too?...lol..Easily, one of my favorite pieces in my collection
Bill,

You have some awesome items. Want to comment on “ALL” the great items you guys display, but it would become routine. I “had to” respond on this item.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Mark, the panel proof 68 sticker is amazing. I actually prefer the proof over the actual sticker. I have two graded smaller stickers and just recently picked up a raw Brooks. The larger panels are nice but the sellers want a crazy price. I would love to own one but will settle with my smaller version. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Charlie! Think it is a nice setup on these AS stickers. I do have one panel with Brooks included, but not the finished 3 panel. Scott (quitcrab) will ultimately “give” me one of his handful of these things; what a great guy...
Old 11-29-2020, 06:57 PM

Mark, Scott is a generous guy. He’ll help you out.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:12 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 335 (November 30, 2020 – 335)

Let’s end the month of November on a high note; we’ll I guess that’s if you’re a Brooksie fan. I’ve been looking for this photo for as long as I can remember. I had a “copy” of the picture for reference (not a good one at that), but never have been able to locate an original till last year. While the photo is not in the best shape its original. It’s a Vancouver Mounties, of the Pacific Coast League, team issue photo (8x10) of Brooks Robinson.

Day 335 Mounties.jpg

I’m not sure if many fans, maybe not even the die-hard fans in Baltimore, know that Brooks almost ended his baseball career in Vancouver due to a freak accident while playing ball. In a game against Portland Brooks went after a foul ball near the Mounties dugout where his sleeve and part of Brooks’ muscle, under his bicep, got caught on a hook on a guardrail going for the foul ball. He was rushed to the hospital; his tendon had been severed, but thankfully the nerve was intact. Brooks was told by the doctor if the nerve had been cut, his playing days would’ve been over.

1966 Mounties Program - Brooks on inside page

Day 335 Program 1966 Vancouver Mounties Program pg 1.jpg
Day 335 Publication 1966 Vancouver Mounties Program 1.jpg
Old 11-30-2020, 05:07 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark....Awesome Vancouver photo!

After Cal Ripken Sr.'s first year as manager, he was given the Leadership Award by the Variety Club of Baltimore and they held an event in his honor at the Omni Hotel in downtown Baltimore...

I didn't attend the event however whoever did was fortunate to get their program signed by Brooks & Cal Jr.:

Old 11-30-2020, 05:35 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Bill,

You have some awesome items. Want to comment on “ALL” the great items you guys display, but it would become routine. I “had to” respond on this item.
Thanks Mark.....I appreciate that. I just enjoy sharing my items and the stories that go with them...
Old 11-30-2020, 06:43 AM
Alan Strout

Default Misc Photos

Wow. The year is flying by and I've really enjoyed all the contributions. Mark, thanks for getting us started. I'm going to be sad to see it come to an end. One of the few highlights of 2020.

I believe everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame, so for the next couple days, I'm going to post photos of a few guys who played for the Orioles, that we probably would have no reason to discuss otherwise. A few of the guys played for other teams, but most had very brief major league careers.

Don't feel bad if you've never heard some of these names. I'm also taking requests if there's anyone from your childhood you would like to see...

Dan Boone and Keon Broxton

Boone, Dan 1 - Copy.jpg Broxton, Keon 1 - Copy.JPG

Gino Cimoli and Sandy Consuegra

Cimoli, Gino 1 - Copy.jpg Consuegra, Sandy 1 - Copy.jpg

Mike Cook and Archie Corbin

Cook, Mike 1 - Copy.jpg Corbin, Archie 1 - Copy.jpg

John DeSilva and Gordon Dillard

DeSilva, John 1 - Copy.jpg Dillard, Gordon 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 11-30-2020, 03:22 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Thanks Mark.....I appreciate that. I just enjoy sharing my items and the stories that go with them...
I want to visit your “museum” one day...
Old 11-30-2020, 03:32 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I'm also taking requests if there's anyone from your childhood you would like to see...
Alan,

You collect those great 8X10 portrait shots. Start posting some of the players that haven’t received much Oriole love since the thread started. While these are known players I’d like to see some of the pitchers like McNally, Cuellar, Waat, Wilhelm, Miller, Barber, Pallas, Drabowsky, etc.

I’d love to see them ALL really...

By the way, just because the year will ultimately end doesn’t mean that you need to quit posting. Keep it rolling...
Old 11-30-2020, 05:52 PM

Hi, Mark. That Vancouver Mounties Photo of Brooks is amazing. I have been looking for that one, too. Interesting story about that accident Brooks had with the fence...a few years ago I met Brooks and mentioned that collision with the fence and out of nowhere he pulled up part of his shirt and showed me the scar. I was a bit shocked but enjoyed listening to his account of the slide and collision with the fence. What a guy! Thanks for sharing your picture.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:57 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 336 (December 1, 2020 – 336)

This is an early BALTIMORE one sided flag that was made by Art Flag Company in Brooklyn NY. The flag is fairly large and displays rather nicely. Hey, if anyone has any idea on the year of production that would be neat to know.

Day 336 a 1.jpg

Once again, Brooks is posed in his trademark stretched out pose with the ball in his outstretched glove and shown robbing Johnny Bench of a sure hit. Unsure if this figure was very popular with fans and collectors at the time or not, but I sure liked it. It’s relatively large (12”x4” or so) for a figure, or I guess you may call it a statue, but it has pretty good detail. Of course, like many figures, the face doesn’t look much like him and looks more like GI Joe (minus the cool looking scar). The 1984 Sculpture is mounted on a wood base is made by Brenn Very along with the companion piece. I believe Brenn Very made the limited number derived by Brooks’ fielding percentage which is .971 (/971).

Day 336 b.jpg
Day 336 Companion BV.jpg

Quote: “You have to have some ability, but desire and determination are really what makes you a winner” - Brooks Robinson
Old 12-01-2020, 05:21 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Day 336 (December 1, 2020 – 336)

Once again, Brooks is posed in his trademark stretched out pose with the ball in his outstretched glove and shown robbing Johnny Bench of a sure hit. Unsure if this figure was very popular with fans and collectors at the time or not, but I sure liked it. It’s relatively large (12”x4” or so) for a figure, or I guess you may call it a statue, but it has pretty good detail. Of course, like many figures, the face doesn’t look much like him and looks more like GI Joe (minus the cool looking scar). The 1984 Sculpture is mounted on a wood base is made by Brenn Very along with the companion piece. I believe Brenn Very made the limited number derived by Brooks’ fielding percentage which is .971 (/971).
Mark:

I picked up one of those Brenn Very pieces as well when they came out...For the time period I think it was done well...

Here is a 1987 Chicago Sun Times press photo and when I got it I thought the very large white border on the bottom was perfect for the Ripken brothers & Carlton Fisk to sign:

Old 12-01-2020, 06:00 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Here's some love for some obscure Orioles players from 2004...Autographed locker nameplates of Geronimo Gil, Eric DuBose, Bruce Chen & Matt Riley:

Old 12-01-2020, 06:58 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

You collect those great 8X10 portrait shots. Start posting some of the players that haven’t received much Oriole love since the thread started. While these are known players I’d like to see some of the pitchers like McNally, Cuellar, Waat, Wilhelm, Miller, Barber, Pallas, Drabowsky, etc.
Mark,

Here you go. A few more 15 minutes of fame guys and some early Dave McNally, Steve Barber and Dick Hall photos for you. More to follow

Mike Dimmel and Dick Drago

Dimmel, Mike 1 - Copy.jpg Drago, Dick 1 - Copy.jpg

Luis Exposito and Dave Gallagher

Exposito, Luis 1 - Copy.jpg Gallagher, Dave 1 - Copy.jpg

Dave McNally

McNally, Dave 1 - Copy.JPG McNally, Dave 3 - Copy.jpg

Steve Barber

Barber, Steve 2 - Copy.jpg Barber, Steve 3 - Copy.jpg

Dick Hall

Hall, Dick 2 - Copy.jpg Hall, Dick 3 - Copy.JPG
Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Here's some love for some obscure Orioles players from 2004...Autographed locker nameplates of Geronimo Gil, Eric DuBose, Bruce Chen & Matt Riley:

Bill and Mark,

I also picked up a Brenn Very statue back in the day and agree that it was well done. I don't know how many were sold, but mine is #290/971.

Cool name plates. Gotta have some photos....

Geronimo Gil and Eric DuBose

Gil, Geronimo 2 - Copy.jpg Debose, Eric 2 - Copy.JPG

Matt Riley and Bruce Chen

Riley, Matt 1 - Copy.jpg Chen, Bruce 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Bill and Mark,

I also picked up a Brenn Very statue back in the day and agree that it was well done. I don't know how many were sold, but mine is #290/971.
Mine is 66/971....

Here is another locker nameplate. This one is for John Parrish who in his MLB debut in 2000 started a game vs. the Yankees at Camden Yards and the first three batters he faced he struck out (Knoblauch, Jeter & Bernie W.; how many guys can say that?)

JP pitched in over 150 games for the Orioles and lives nearby & is considered a freind....Here he is with my son at our Golf Event a couple years ago:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-01-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

Here you go. A few more 15 minutes of fame guys and some early Dave McNally, Steve Barber and Dick Hall photos for you. More to follow
Alan,

It’s a great idea to picture all of these since the portrait shots are some of my favorites. Also, even though I mainly collect Brooks I’m an O’s fan at heart and enjoy seeing the players that were on my favorite team.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 337 (December 2, 2020 – 337)

Brooks played some minor league ball in 1956 and 1957 for the San Antonio Missions in the Texas League. The team signed baseball is from the 1st year Brooks was on the club.

1956 San Antonio Missions team signed baseball.

Day 337 1956 Missions a.jpg
Day 337 1956 Missions b.jpg
Day 337 1956 Missions c.jpg
Old 12-02-2020, 06:44 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Day 337 (December 2, 2020 – 337)

Brooks played some minor league ball in 1956 and 1957 for the San Antonio Missions in the Texas League. The team signed baseball is from the 1st year Brooks was on the club.

1956 San Antonio Missions team signed baseball.
Mark,

Very nice looking ball. The autographs are strong for a ball that old. I see a couple names on the ball I have photos of, Willy Quintana, Bill Diemer and Chuck Oertel.

Willy Quintana and Bill Diemer

Quintana, Willy 1 - Copy.jpg Diemer, Bill 1 - Copy.jpg

Chuck Oertel

Oertel, Chuck 1 - Copy.jpg

Also seems like a good time to repost the 1956 & 1957 San Antonio Missions programs

1956 San Antonio Missions - Copy.jpg 1957 San Antonio Missions #1 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles 20-Game Winners

Mark you asked for photos, so here you go.

While I was growing up, 20-game winners were common place for the Orioles. Over the years, eleven pitchers combined for twenty four 20-game winning seasons. This included an incredible run, of 13 years (1968-1980), when the Orioles had at least one 20-game winner each season and 1971 when the Orioles produced four 20-game winners. Steve Barber was the first in 1963 and Mike Boddicker the last in 1984.

Here are team issued pics of all the Orioles 20-Game winners

20-Game Winners (1 season)

Steve Barber and Mike Boddicker

Barber, Steve 6 - Copy.jpg Boddicker, Mike 2 - Copy.jpg

Pat Dobson and Mike Flanagan

Dobson, Pat 3 - Copy.jpg Flanagan, Mike 2 - Copy.jpg

Wayne Garland and Scott McGregor

Garland, Wayne 4 - Copy.jpg McGregor, Scott 1 - Copy.jpg

Steve Stone and Mike Torrez

Stone, Steve 2 - Copy.jpg Torrez, Mike 1 - Copy.jpg

20-Game Winners (4 different seasons)

Mike Cuellar and Dave McNally

Cuellar, Mike 6 - Copy.jpg McNally, Dave 4 - Copy.jpg

20-Game Winner (8 different seasons)

Jim Palmer

Palmer, Jim 8 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-03-2020, 02:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 338 (December 3, 2029 – 338)

An artist Micheal Ricker created a statue of Brooks entitled “The Legend Lives”. The statue is a pewter casting and is about 10” in height. Of course it has Brooks’ Golden Glove as a focal point.

Michael Ricker statue – Brooks Robinson “The Legend Lives”

Day 338 Michael Ricker Figure.jpg

(I copied a photo of one on-line. I have this thing packed away somewhere, but couldn’t locate it prior to posting; sorry about that…)
Old 12-03-2020, 02:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Alan,

Here's the other panels of the Texas League ball just in case an 8X10 photo is in your collection...

Day 337.jpg
Day 337 1.jpg
Day 337 2.jpg
Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

Here's the other panels of the Texas League ball just in case an 8X10 photo is in your collection...

Mark,

Here you go. A few pics of guys on the ball, that I can identify.

Charley Locke and Carl Powis

Locke, Charlie 1 - Copy.jpg Powis, Carl 1 - Copy.jpg

Bob Caffery and Bobby Adams

Caffery, Bob 1 - Copy.jpg George Brace 01 - Copy.jpg

Dick Luebke and Carl Scheib

George Brace 23 - Copy.jpg James Elder 04 - Copy.JPG

I know I have a Babe Birrer photo somewhere, but must not have scanned it yet.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:07 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,

Here you go. A few pics of guys on the ball, that I can identify.

I know I have a Babe Birrer photo somewhere, but must not have scanned it yet.
Thanks Alan; it's nice to put the faces with the names.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:10 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 339 (December 4, 2020 – 339)

On December 4, 1970 at the Baseball’s 1970 Awards Dinner in Los Angeles we have Johnny Bench the NL MVP, Bob Gibson the NL Cy Young award winner and Brooks Robinson the WS MVP.

1970 Snapshot photos – Johnny Bench, Bob Gibson and Brooks Robinson

Day 339 a.jpg

Now this really isn’t a snapshot photo per se, or maybe it is I’m just not sure, but it’s a really small photo taken by George Brace (about the size of a normal snapshot photo). This is not like a normal snapshot due to the photo being crystal clear.

Day 339 b Snapshot George Brace.jpg
Old 12-04-2020, 07:21 AM
Alan Strout

Default Misc Photos

To end the week. here are a few more photos of some guys you may or may not remember as Orioles.

Moe Drabowsky and Mike Fetters

Drabowsky, Moe 3 - Copy.jpg Fetters, Mike 1 - Copy.JPG

Carlos Mendez and Kelly Paris

Mendez, Carlos 1 - Copy.JPG Paris, Kelly 1 - Copy.jpg

Justin Turner and Aurelio Rodriguez

Turner, Justin 1 - Copy.JPG Rodriguez, Aurelio 2 - Copy.jpg

Mike Moriarty and Ramon Nivar

Moriarty, Mike 1 - Copy.JPG Nivar, Ramon 1 - Copy.JPG
Old 12-05-2020, 02:31 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 340 (December 5, 2020 – 340)

This Rawlings Trade Digest cover features the BIG 8 gloves of 8 great stars. The stars pictured are Mickey Mantle, Billy Williams, Warren Spahn, Dick Groat, Tommy Davis, Tom Tresh, Ken Boyer and Brooks Robinson. The features of the BIG 8 gloves were the Double-X Web, Flex-O-Matic Palm, L-Heel, “Deep Well” Pocket, Shearling Lines, Comfo-Lok Wrist Strap, Extended Finger Stalls, X-Laced Fingers, and Select Grade RT58 Leather. Now that’s a lot of features…

I’ve never owned the glove box, nor the individual cutout of Brooks, but maybe one day. I’ve never seen a high grade version of the box card since he’s pictured on the corner of the box. The Trade Digest I have was once in a 3-ring binder, but still looks good to me.

January 1964 Rawlings Trade Digest for Distributors of Rawlings Athletic Equipment

Day 340 a 1.jpg

I’ve included a Sporting News ad for The Big 8:

Day 340 Ad TSN The Big 8.jpg

Here's another ad:

Day 340 b.jpg
Old 12-05-2020, 02:38 AM
M@rk Comer

This early photo was posted and I know you guys are WAY better than me identifying people. I got that's Brooks now the rest is up to you...

Brooks Early Signing.jpg

Also, if you know the year or round about that would be cool as well. My guess is late 50's.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Alan Strout

Default Misc Photos

Here's a few more photos of some forgotten Orioles, the unsung heroes from my childhood O's.

Terry Crowley and Clay Dalrymple

Crowley, Terry 2 - Copy.jpg Dalrymple, Clay 2 - Copy.jpg

Pete Richert and Eddie Watt

Richert, Pete 1 - Copy.jpg Watt, Eddie 1 - Copy.JPG

Chico Salmon and Larry Haney

Salmon, Chico 3 - Copy.jpg Haney, Larry 1 - Copy.jpg

Fred Valentine and Marcelino Lopez

Valentine, Fred 1 - Copy.JPG Lopez, Marcelino 1 - Copy.jpg

Curt Motton and Vic Roznovsky

Motton, Curt 4 - Copy.jpg Roznovsky, Vic 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-06-2020, 02:42 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 341 (December 6, 2020 – 341)

I used to love getting the small metal baseball coins growing up. Most of them are long gone and the few that I still have left from when I was young have rust, dings, scratches, etc. I probably have all the normal coins that were put out, but still trying to upgrade a few. Today is a coin that I don’t recall having growing up and that’s the 1965 Old London Coin. To me it’s the best looking coin of the bunch probably because the blue just pops and I really like the picture of Brooks used for the coin. The ’65 Old London Coins were made by Space Magic Ltd.; there were 40 unnumbered coins in the set. The coins arrived individually wrapped in cellophane and were packaged in Old London snacks. I don’t personally have one of Brooks that’s still in the cellophane, but I did get one that is entombed in plastic…

1965 Old London Coin

Day 341 a.jpg

In regard to the Old London coins I do have the small progressive proofs used in making the 1965 Old London Brooks Robinson coin.

1965 Old London coin progressive proofs

Day 341 1965 Old London Coin Proof a.jpg
Day 341 1965 Old London Coin Proof b.jpg
Day 341 1965 Old London Coin Proof c.jpg

Last edited by Mark70Z; 12-06-2020 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Mark....

More fantastic Brooks proofs!

Here is a game used Brooks hat from 1976:

Old 12-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Hi, everyone. Mark posted some pictures of the 1964 Rawlings Glove Box Big 8. I am fortunate to have the entire set of the hand cut cards. I love this set and enjoy showing it to folks. It escaped me for a few years so happy to share. I have this in the PSA Registry. The quality score is at 3.34, which is low but given the condition sensitivity of the set, it is pretty good. Mine is ranked #2 and the #1 set (707 Sports...he has a lot of stuff that is very, very expensive) is in the 7 range, which is amazing. The Brooks and Mantle are pretty nice relatively speaking and both pretty hard to find and expensive. I recently upgraded the Mantle and subsequently sold the lower graded Mantle to off set the cost. I would love to upgrade more if anyone has any "extra." Also, I included one of the two panels. Surprisingly, this is the highest graded PSA panel with Brooksie. I am looking for the Mantle panel but they are tough to find. Also, looking for the entire box. They are extremely rare but out there. Recently, i assembled 9 of the 10 1964-1966 Rawlings Premium Photographs that are identical to the Hand Cut Cards from the Big 8 Box. There are two variations. Brooks has a second picture with a Bird on Hat and Mantle with a black T-shirt. I sent these to PSA for grading. Once back, i hope to add to the Registry. Sorry if i used the word "I" too much. Thought folks would enjoy seeing these and some additional details.

P.S. for Mark...I included a pretty beat up extra Brooks Hand Cut Card if you want to trade for a certain "original" piece of Art!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1964 Rawlings Set.jpg (77.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 03:14 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark....

Bill,

You really need to thin out that Brooksie stuff and focus of what you’re meant for; the Ripken family

AKA - Love the cap!!
Old 12-06-2020, 03:18 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Hi, everyone. Mark posted some pictures of the 1964 Rawlings Glove Box Big 8. I am fortunate to have the entire set of the hand cut cards. I love this set and enjoy showing it to folks. It escaped me for a few years so happy to share. I have this in the PSA Registry. The quality score is at 3.34, which is low but given the condition sensitivity of the set, it is pretty good. Mine is ranked #2 and the #1 set (707 Sports...he has a lot of stuff that is very, very expensive) is in the 7 range, which is amazing. The Brooks and Mantle are pretty nice relatively speaking and both pretty hard to find and expensive. I recently upgraded the Mantle and subsequently sold the lower graded Mantle to off set the cost. I would love to upgrade more if anyone has any "extra." Also, I included one of the two panels. Surprisingly, this is the highest graded PSA panel with Brooksie. I am looking for the Mantle panel but they are tough to find. Also, looking for the entire box. They are extremely rare but out there. Recently, i assembled 9 of the 10 1964-1966 Rawlings Premium Photographs that are identical to the Hand Cut Cards from the Big 8 Box. There are two variations. Brooks has a second picture with a Bird on Hat and Mantle with a black T-shirt. I sent these to PSA for grading. Once back, i hope to add to the Registry. Sorry if i used the word "I" too much. Thought folks would enjoy seeing these and some additional details.

P.S. for Mark...I included a pretty beat up extra Brooks Hand Cut Card if you want to trade for a certain "original" piece of Art!!!
Charlie,

That’s just an awesome collection. Very tough to find the cutouts in nice shape. Are you #1 in any of the PSA registries?

I tell you what... throw in the panel with Brooks included, the graded Brooks example and I’ll let you keep the beat up version. What do you think? I know...I know... I’m giving you way too good of a deal.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Mark....

Don't want to be a downer and rain on the parade, but the lack of his obligatory (southpaw) slant in that autograph would concern me, no? And the lines are real sharp, in contrast to his usual bubbly curviness (among other things, like the basic formation of the letters). You didn't happen to get it in person, did you? This all immediately jumps out at me, so I felt it was important to mention it. Hope I'm wrong.

These are my in-person signatures (from a long ass time ago)...
brooksrobinsonautos.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:30 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Don't want to be a downer and rain on the parade, but the lack of his obligatory (southpaw) slant in that autograph would concern me, no? And the lines are real sharp, in contrast to his usual bubbly curviness (among other things, like the basic formation of the letters). You didn't happen to get it in person, did you? This all immediately jumps out at me, so I felt it was important to mention it. Hope I'm wrong.

These are my in-person signatures (from a long ass time ago)...
Attachment 429849
Darren,

Glad that you hope you’re wrong, since you’re wrong

Oh, and you can send those two old, outdated autographs my way...
Old 12-06-2020, 07:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Darren,

Glad that you hope you’re wrong, since you’re wrong

Oh, and you can send those two old, outdated autographs my way...
You mean he signed/signs that way also? Wow. Who woulda thunk it? (Now you're going to point to a specific post in this thread that shows the same type of autograph. )

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:21 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 342 (December 7, 2020 – 342)

While I’m not much of an autograph person I do like some items that are signed. Below is a nice signed 8x10 photo of the Orioles infield during the ‘70’s. Pictured you have Brooks, Mark Belanger, Davey Johnson and Boog Powell; what a great infield it was.

Day 342 Photo Color Autographed.jpg

Quote: “Where I’d come from, that was a hit. Brooks was on it instantly, and without even looking, threw to second for a force. Then, there was a throw to first, double play, inning over, in half a second. I was sitting in the bullpen and my mouth fell open. I went, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me! I don’t believe what I just saw!'” – Elrod Hendricks

Day 342 Snapshot Elrod Hendricks.jpg
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
You mean he signed/signs that way also? Wow. Who woulda thunk it? (Now you're going to point to a specific post in this thread that shows the same type of autograph. )
Ha! There's probably one in here "somewhere" that looks like the one on the cap, but I don't wanna look.

Here's a screen grab that looks similar, or at least I can tell (maybe not you ) It seems when Brooks signs GU items he sometimes will just use the line for the B and the R; probably to not get the area messed up with the roll in the B and R. In Bill's cap example you can see that and likely didn't want his signature within the "5" under the bill.

In the early days the slant was in the opposite direction typically going from down to up.

Signed Uniform.jpg
Old 12-07-2020, 07:06 AM
Alan Strout

Default Elrod Hendricks

Mark's quote from Elrod Hendricks reminded me that I haven't given Ellie much love during the year. Brooks Robinson is considered "Mr Oriole". In my opinion, second place should go to Elrod Hendricks. For 37 years, 9 as a player and 28 as a coach, Elrod wore the Orioles uniform. He was truly an ambassador for the Orioles and baseball. He was great with fans, always taking time to interact with them, giving autographs and smiling. I can't believe it's been 15 years since he passed away. He is truly missed each year at spring training.

Here are some Elrod Hendricks items

2005 Program from his funeral

2005 Elrod Hendricks Funeral - Copy.jpg

1976 English Chicken Lid

1976 Englsh Lids (SmallElrod Hendricks) - Copy.JPG

Team Issued 8x10 photos as player and coach

Hendricks, Elrod 1 - Copy.jpg Hendricks, Elrod 4 - Copy.jpg

Hendricks, Elrod 7 - Copy.jpg Hendricks, Elrod 8 - Copy.jpg

Hendricks, Elrod 9 - Copy.jpg Hendricks, Elrod 10 - Copy.jpg

Hendricks, Elrod 15 - Copy.jpg Hendricks, Elrod 18.jpg
Old 12-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
I rec'd this autograph and a couple others from Brooks in-person about 5-6 years ago when I was helping out at a MAB show in MD....I think because of what he was signing (underneath the bill of a hat) and the way he had to hold it, he didn't use any slants....

Alan....Thanks for remembering Elrod...So many kids in Baltimore (and elsewhere) got their very first autograph from him!

Last edited by roarfrom34; 12-07-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Clint

Quote:
I rec'd this autograph and a couple others from Brooks in-person about 5-6 years ago when I was helping out at a MAB show in MD....I think because of what he was signing (underneath the bill of a hat) and the way he had to hold it, he didn't use any slants....

Alan....Thanks for remembering Elrod...So many kids in Baltimore (and elsewhere) got their very first autograph from him!
Bill I was at a KC game against the Orioles in KC and Elrod was a bench coach. I’m the only guy in KC with an Orioles jersey on and probably the only one who knew who he was. I asked for his auto after the game and got snubbed. I didn’t hold it against him but come on man show a little love.��

Great hat by the way!

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 12-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:36 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark's quote from Elrod Hendricks reminded me that I haven't given Ellie much love during the year. Brooks Robinson is considered "Mr Oriole". In my opinion, second place should go to Elrod Hendricks. For 37 years, 9 as a player and 28 as a coach, Elrod wore the Orioles uniform. He was truly an ambassador for the Orioles and baseball. He was great with fans, always taking time to interact with them, giving autographs and smiling. I can't believe it's been 15 years since he passed away. He is truly missed each year at spring training.

Here are some Elrod Hendricks items
Alan,

Thanks for posting the Elrod items; really liked him as both a player and coach.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:55 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 343 (December 8, 2020 – 343)

Brooks looks so happy in The Sporting News 1962 Topps American League All Star card #468. Love the look of this card.

Day 343 a 1962 Topps AS #468.jpg
Day 343 b 1962 Topps AS #468 back.jpg

This is a 1962 Topps AS #468 blank back proof version. This example is a bit different since it has the black on the card but notice it doesn’t have the black 3 base on the bottom of the card.

Day 343 c 1962 Topps AS #468 blank back.jpg
Day 343 d 1962 Topps AS #468 blank back (2).jpg

To go along with the above we’ll need a signed version of the ’62 AS card.

Day 343 e 1962 Topps AS 468 signed.jpg

Ok; then we’ll need at least one progressive proof of the 1962 Topps All Star (which is all I have...).

Day 343 f 1962 Topps AS #468 Progressive proof.jpg

AND last but not least a 1962 Topps All Star #468 printing plate. That’ll be enough for one day…

Day 343 g 1962 Topps AS #468 Printing Plate.jpg
Old 12-08-2020, 05:57 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Alan,

Thanks for posting the Elrod items; really liked him as both a player and coach.
It was nice of the Orioles to memoralize Elrod by placing his #44 on the sleeve of their jerseys in 2006:

Old 12-08-2020, 06:27 AM
Alan Strout

Default Orioles Photos

For some reason, I enjoy portrait photos much more than action shots. I love the simplicity of the older B&W head shots.

Here are a few more from the 1950's. Some should be familiar, a couple may not.

Hoot Evers and Tito Francona

Evers, Hoot 1 - Copy.jpg Francona, Tito 1 - Copy.jpg

Billy Hunter and Lou Kretlow

Hunter, Billy 1 - Copy.jpg Kretlow, Lou 1 - Copy.jpg

Bob Kuzava and Don Lenhardt

Kuzava, Bob 1 - Copy.jpg Lenhardt, Don 1 - Copy.jpg

Dick Littlefield and Gus Triandos

Littlefield, Dick 1 - Copy.jpg Triandos, Gus 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 12-09-2020, 01:46 AM
M@rk Comer

Day 344 (December 9, 2020 – 344)

On May 18, 1975 the Orioles played the California Angels at home. Nolan Ryan was the pitcher for the Angels this day and pitched 8.2 innings and gave up 2 hits and 1 ER. Ryan also picked off Al Bumbry at 2nd base during the game. Mike Torrez was the O’s picture and did a pretty good job even though the home team came up short.

Here’s the daily parking pass from the Orioles vs. Angels game.

Day 344 a 1975 Special Parking May 18.jpg

I’ve had this rack pack as long as I can remember. It was a tad yellowed when I purchased likely from being displayed, but the cards still look nice. Brooks is sharing the front with Ron Cey and Vida Blue; some pretty good company.

1975 Topps Rack Pack

Day 344 b 1975 Topps Rack Pack.jpg
Old 12-09-2020, 04:31 AM

Default Super Proof

A nice Super Proof of the all time best 3rd baseman to play the game !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR.jpg (31.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 05:10 AM

Is that proof thinner than a regular card?

I have a couple and they are not as thick as a regular “Super ”.