NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Early woodcut

In 1832 a famous baseball woodcut appeared in a little chapbook entitled Mary’s Book of Sports. The woodcut, by Alexander Anderson, was then reused in about 10 other books from 1832 to 1842, according to Block. Due to scarcity of Mary’s Book, collectors make due with one of the other early ones, which are also very rare. The photos that are attached are from a circa 1840 miniature book, Village Green, with a new, different verse. Although not a uniquely American scene like the 1834 Boston image I posted about earlier, this one is clearly meant to represent a New England scene, as evidenced by the title and the New Haven publisher.
For information on all these early titles and their importance I recommend Block, Baseball Before We Knew It.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C6A5DAB-F221-499F-A608-41EBCFE8B0E2.jpg (12.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg D5585921-8E15-40DA-8E60-2B6FD5265514.jpg (19.4 KB, 173 views)
Old 05-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Doug Goodman

Thank you for that
Old 05-14-2020, 07:01 PM
Alan Elefson

Thank you Bruce! I have two of the Village Green chapbooks and I need to check my collection to see what others I have. I also need to look for the Boston Common woodcut image but I am fairly certain I do not have it currently. I really appreciate the information about the earliest images!

Alan
Old 05-18-2020, 08:06 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default I’ve been searching..

I’d love to get my hands on a 1830-1840 base ball depiction within text like the ones shown. Does anyone know where to find them? Are they really expensive?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:32 AM

Bill, this type of thing can be found, and the price you could be asked to pay would be a very wide range, probably 10 to thousands of dollars. My suggestion would be to try to do the research yourself, prepare a want list, check the various book and online auction websites, and/or let others know what you are looking for and work with them. To begin I strongly suggest getting a copy of this book: Block, Baseball Before We Knew It. This is a good historical read, and best of all has a yearby year list of books about baseball with an explanation of why they are important. Just as valuable is a title index that can be checked once you think you may have found a potential purchase. While I think these are important there are no price guides, or registry’s etc. I am old and have doing this for along time so my finds have not cost me much at all. If you have more resources you can find very nice important books right now, but you will pay a premium for the work someone else did. I think I helped a board member purchase a very important early woodcut already and would be happy to help you. In any case, I hope this is a start in your quest.
There is another board member here who specifically collects all baseball woodcuts and I think he would be helpful.
Good luck
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM
George

Bruce, great stuff as always.

Bill, as Bruce mentions, the prices vary widely and the further you go back ie 1820's and 1830's, the more expensive they tend to be especially if it's purchased from an antique book seller. A cheaper (and still very nice) alternative is the Babcock 1840 'The Gift of Friendship' book (more like a pamphlet) which has a baseball depiction on the front cover (I think I purchased mines from a board member several years ago). And if you're looking for color illustrations, there's the 1864 'American Boys Book of Sports and Games' book. You'll find both online and they're inexpensive yet wonderful pieces of baseball history. On the latter, you will want to ask the seller if the pages are complete as it's not uncommon for the lithographs to be pulled out of the book and then framed to look like they're stand-alone pieces.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:00 AM

Bill, George is the expert on the board I referred to.
Old 05-19-2020, 01:50 PM
Bill D.
Bill Di,ctus

Default Thanks

You guys are a great help!
Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM
GaryPassamonte

Bruce- I've had this primitive painting for quite a few years. I'm not sure if it is vintage or not. It is dated 1867, although the frame is later than that. Jack Norris from NYC is the "artist". I always found it interesting that it says "playng ball" with the "i" missing. My question is what book does this image come from. I can't seem to remember. It is a well known image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33744_playing_ball_painting.jpg (27.3 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 05-19-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Gary, cool piece.
Your image is known as “Playing Ball” by woodcut artist Alexander Anderson, a pioneer in American woodcuts. It originally appeared in a book entitled “Children’s Amusement” with a small verse, first published in 1820. Their is also a 1822 edition. Block describes both as extremely rare and I would certainly agree.
It is considered a landmark illustration since it was published I. America and is clearly not cricket. I will see if I can find out anything more about your particular item.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 PM
GaryPassamonte

Thanks, Bruce.