NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Paula

Default Homemade Vintage Card Confusion & Corn Flakes

Stay tuned for the Corn Flakes advertising backs…. (which I admit, are pretty darn interesting). I’ve had this collection of homemade cards for less than a week now, and so far, I’ve scanned and researched 50 of the 500+ homemade cards. Most are pretty easy to figure out, but I’d really appreciate some advice on two of them:

Which Wilson?
Eddie (Edward Francis) or Hack (Lewis Robert) Wilson?

Eddie played Outfield (right) with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1936-37.
Hack played outfield for the New York Giants (1923-25), the Chicago Cubs (1926-30), the Brooklyn Dodgers (1932-34) and Philadelphia Athletics (1934).

The handmade card indicates Wilson played Center Field, and a notation on the back indicates Brooklyn.

You make the call…
-----

L I V E s t o n e

I can’t seem to identify which Livingstone this card was fashioned after. He supposedly caught and coached and I’ve I found two Livingstons (without the “e”) from that era -- Paddy and Mickey -- which may fit the bill. The photo glued to the front of the card shows Livingston(e) in what I believe to be a Milwaukee uniform. Notes on the back of the card show Brooklyn with 8 hash marks and Boston with a single hash.

Paddy caught for the Cleveland Blues (Indians) in 1901, the Cincinnati Reds in 1906, the Philadelphia Athletics from 1909-1911, the Cleveland Naps (Indians) in 1912 and the St. Louis Cardinals in 1917. According to SABR, Branch Rickey hired Paddy as a catcher-coach for the 1917 St. Louis Cardinals, but left after 7 games. In 1919 he was a bullpen catcher for the Athletics. NO experience with Brooklyn or Boston, or Milwaukee uniform as far as I can tell.

Mickey Livingston’s SABR bio also indicates a resume combining catching & coaching: playing with the Washington Senators (1938), Philadelphia Phillies (1941-43), New York Giants (1947-1949), 28 games with the Boston Braves (1949) and a brief, two game stint with the Brooklyn Dodgers (1951). SABR’s bio on Mickey mentioned that Mickey served as manager of the Milwaukee Braves’ Boise, Idaho, team (1955) in the Pioneer League

I’m thinking its Mickey, but YOU make the call…
-----

Now, for the cornflakes:
I flipped through the cards and found a dozen or so cards backed with the recognizable Kellogg's Corn Flake box -- pretty cool !!

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 AM
$teve O.

The Wilson looks like Hack Wilson.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39special View Post
The Wilson looks like Hack Wilson.
I agree.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:51 AM
Mike McGrail

Hack Wilson for sure
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 AM
Јąмεș ωąlĸεѓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballWeirdo View Post
L I V E s t o n e

I can’t seem to identify which Livingstone this card was fashioned after. He supposedly caught and coached and I’ve I found two Livingstons (without the “e”) from that era -- Paddy and Mickey -- which may fit the bill. The photo glued to the front of the card shows Livingston(e) in what I believe to be a Milwaukee uniform. Notes on the back of the card show Brooklyn with 8 hash marks and Boston with a single hash.

Paddy caught for the Cleveland Blues (Indians) in 1901, the Cincinnati Reds in 1906, the Philadelphia Athletics from 1909-1911, the Cleveland Naps (Indians) in 1912 and the St. Louis Cardinals in 1917. According to SABR, Branch Rickey hired Paddy as a catcher-coach for the 1917 St. Louis Cardinals, but left after 7 games. In 1919 he was a bullpen catcher for the Athletics. NO experience with Brooklyn or Boston, or Milwaukee uniform as far as I can tell.

Mickey Livingston’s SABR bio also indicates a resume combining catching & coaching: playing with the Washington Senators (1938), Philadelphia Phillies (1941-43), New York Giants (1947-1949), 28 games with the Boston Braves (1949) and a brief, two game stint with the Brooklyn Dodgers (1951). SABR’s bio on Mickey mentioned that Mickey served as manager of the Milwaukee Braves’ Boise, Idaho, team (1955) in the Pioneer League

I’m thinking its Mickey, but YOU make the call…
The Livingstone could very well be Paddy Livingston. Paddy was the Manager (coach ?) for the Milwaukee Brewers of the American Association in 1917, AA minor league team.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=living001pat

ChiSoxFan
Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM
Marty

I do like the "puzzle backs" - have you been able to figure out what years that style of corn flakes box was produced?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Those are neat pieces :
Hack Wilson and Paddy Livingston are the subjects most likely
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM
Chris Counts

I think James is right about Livingstone. Also, I Googled "1917 Brewers," and I came across this article. While it doesn't mention Paddy, it goes into great detail about the demise of his predecessor as the Brewer's manager. I don't mean to derail this thread, but this story is too interesting not to share. By the way, cool cards Paula!

http://www3.jsonline.com/sports/cent...p?format=print

Last edited by Chris Counts; 01-31-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

wow. the more you post about this collection, the more jealous i get!!! cool find!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Paula

THANKS for all the feedback & help with these two cards -- I really appreciate it. And I'm glad the players are looking to be Hack & Paddy. I felt Mickey Livingston's playing career was a little later than the bulk of the cards in this set.

From what I can gather, the Corn Flakes box design was used in 1927-28, possibly earlier. The previous box design (through at least 1922) used "TOASTED" Corn Flakes as the product description.

Although the majority of cards have blank backs, there are a few more set of advertising backs (match boxes, cough drops, parawax) that I'll post down the road. This project is far more time consuming that I thought -- trying to identify the players, then getting caught up reading about their colorful past.... and the next thing I know its 2:30 in the morning.

Anyhow - thanks again for all the valuable feedback!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM

Great stuff Paula - Thanks for sharing it with us! This is the kind of hobby stuff I enjoy seeing and reading about.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Another off-topic point, but I don't see his name come up very often (even here), so here's my chance to drop this factoid: Paddy Livingston died on the same day I was born. Or, more modestly, I was born on the day Paddy Livingston died.