NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Andrew

Default Why are 1953 Bowman color so awesome?

Lately I've been struck by how amazing the 1953 Bowman color set looks. The photos are just incredible - the colors and the contrast are orders of magnitude more vivid and lifelike than other sets of the era, and even (I dare say) going up through the '60s and '70s.

The Richie Ashburn, for example - it's like you're standing next to him in the dugout.

Can anyone shed any light on why they are head and shoulders above everything else? Something in the technique or technology that was used in taking or processing the photos, or the printing?

I have a feeling I may have found my next collecting project after I make some more progress on my HOFers...
Old 01-13-2021, 12:52 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Lately I've been struck by how amazing the 1953 Bowman color set looks. The photos are just incredible - the colors and the contrast are orders of magnitude more vivid and lifelike than other sets of the era, and even (I dare say) going up through the '60s and '70s.

The Richie Ashburn, for example - it's like you're standing next to him in the dugout.

Can anyone shed any light on why they are head and shoulders above everything else? Something in the technique or technology that was used in taking or processing the photos, or the printing?

I have a feeling I may have found my next collecting project after I make some more progress on my HOFers...
At the time the photos were taken using Kodachrome which provided vivid colors. Another example of that era was the images that appeared in Sport magazine, also shot in Kodachrome. People used to take those images out of the magazine to have them autographed or framed.

I love my set, but there are a number of cards that weren't shot or produced well, particularly in the higher numbers. There are a number of 53 Bowman color collectors on this board, let's share your input about this set.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:56 PM
Andrew

Quote:
At the time the photos were taken using Kodachrome which provided vivid colors. Another example of that era was the images that appeared in Sport magazine, also shot in Kodachrome.
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah

Now that's going to be stuck in my head all day...at least it's a good (and apparently accurate) song.

Last edited by ASF123; 01-13-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:15 PM

The Paul Simon song immediately came to my mind, too. The Bowman company HAD TO DO SOMETHING, to deal with Topps, since their monster cards of '52 virtually captured the card market in one year. At least Bowman vastly increased the size of their football cards for fall '52, unveiling what would come to be considered the finest football cards ever made.

Back to the OP, Bowman's use of Kodachrome was an inspiration. As I ponder what Bowman did, it would seem they used a much better printing method to capture the fineness of detail the Kodachrome offered, for their image resolution is off the charts!

--- Brian Powell
Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Bowman definitely covered all the bases in 1953. If you didn't like beautiful cards you could buy their black and white sister set.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM
Jim

A great visual set because of the ability of the photographers. No out of focus snapshots from across the field in this set. Fantastic composition that captures the moment - and, the designers purposely kept the cards clean and simple w/no detracting banners, headers, or logos. A perfect example of how less is more. Of course I love the '72 topps set as well
Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM
Steve

Default Imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
Bowman definitely covered all the bases in 1953. If you didn't like beautiful cards you could buy their black and white sister set.
I believe that the Black & White "set" is actually the last two series of the entire 1953 Bowman set. The company simply ran out of funds to print those last two series in Kodachrome. But every other detail of those 64 cards seems to match the first 160 color cards. It's kind of a shame that Bowman invested so much in the endorsement by Joe DiMaggio of the set. But since his contract apparently only covered the "color" cards, Bowman resorted to the later austerity strategy. Here's a second series sheet of 32 cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Bowman Color 2nd Series Sheet.jpg (82.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:57 AM
Phil

My 53 Bowman collection doesn't quite reach the heights of the cards that have been posted, but I'm doing so to keep the discussion going in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53gai6berrabauermantle.jpg (74.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 53psa4mantle.jpg (75.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 53psa4snider.jpg (73.8 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 53psa5ford.jpg (77.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 53sgc4.5musial.jpg (69.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 53sg5cberra.jpg (76.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg reese.jpg (62.1 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Tere1071; 01-17-2021 at 06:03 AM.