NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-15-2021, 08:02 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Was the first base umpire correct yesterday?

Why not have the whole game officiated by video replay in New York? It would only add 6 to 7 hours to the length of the game. What say you?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:18 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Why not have the whole game officiated by video replay in New York? It would only add 6 to 7 hours to the length of the game. What say you?
If it eliminated the Giants, it was the right call.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If it eliminated the Giants, it was the right call.
So the fix was in.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:01 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

The ump believed he was correct in what he saw. Replay shows otherwise.
I gotta defer to the human element of the game. It has been there long before TV came into the picture.

It sucks but evens itself out over time too.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

At best, an experienced umpire should have seen it as close, in which case you have to resolve it against ending a one run playoff game on a called check swing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-15-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:52 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At best, an experienced umpire should have seen it as close, in which case you have to resolve it against ending a one run playoff game on a called check swing.
Agreed. In that instance the ump should be aware of the situation. Even if it was more borderline (which it wasn't), ending a post-season series on a ticky-tack call like that is just poor form.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Agreed. In that instance the ump should be aware of the situation. Even if it was more borderline (which it wasn't), ending a post-season series on a ticky-tack call like that is just poor form.
And with the winning run at the plate no less, with two out in the bottom of the ninth. A WTF moment for sure.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Last week there was the usual argument that the wild card playoff should not be decided by a single game and the Dodgers, a wild card team, had the second best record and that was a crime.

Forget that BS.

Now an elimination game is decided by a first base umpire on a single pitch in the bottom of the ninth with a winning run at the plate. Hopefully he was looking toward the plate, before he made his call. Perhaps he wasn't. That would be his best defense.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-15-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:24 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Brutal call.

Hopefully Gabe Morales doesn't live in SF.

However, Wilmar Flores was 0 for 17 vs Scherzer, with 8K's. So not sure the outcome would have been any different had it played out.

Didn't SF have anyone on the bench other then a 0 for 17 batter. I question Kapler on that, but don't follow SF closely, and was half asleep so didn't know who else they had, be curious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flores.jpg (12.1 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-15-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:12 PM
mͺttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Not having Belt available for the series definitely hurt the Giants.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Bob C.

In an instance like this, could it have possibly been the call of the umpiring crew chief (don't know who it was) to step in and suggest they look at instant replay since it was a playoff game and all? I know you have to support your fellow umpire and try not to make it look like he made a bad call, but everyone knows that pitch will be replayed over and over for the rest of the world in super slow motion to see. So, if the call wasn't correct the public will know and chastise the umpiring crew (and MLB) even more.

I know that's not the way it works or specifically how the rules are written, but it would be nice for them to get it right.

Last edited by BobC; 10-15-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:58 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Do you think that Roberts et al would have has a hissy fit it the umpire had ruled no swing, no strike? I seriously doubt it and it certainly wouldn't be an issue today regardless of who ultimately won the game.

Maybe this belongs on the Condolence thread because the Giants grew up in New York, but then again the Dodgers did too. This game was a no win situation for all ex-pat New Yorkers.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:18 PM

I thought they were liberal with calling strikes on check swings in the AL wild card game too. For both teams.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Brutal call.

Hopefully Gabe Morales doesn't live in SF.

However, Wilmar Flores was 0 for 17 vs Scherzer, with 8K's. So not sure the outcome would have been any different had it played out.

Didn't SF have anyone on the bench other then a 0 for 17 batter. I question Kapler on that, but don't follow SF closely, and was half asleep so didn't know who else they had, be curious.

Paul, I more than understand your 0 for 17 Scherzer argument however, a statistician would argue that Flores was not that unlikely to get the game winning hit due to regression to the mean. In other words he was overdue. If you want to argue that Flores would never get another hit, then look at Scherzer. I would not have bet on Flores to get a hit in any single AB. Scherzer on the other hand had noteworthy batting stats in 2021.
He was 0 for 59. Yikes
His mean was .000
I am also not saying that Scherzer will never get another hit, but to bet on him not doing it is safer.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-15-2021 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I thought they were liberal with calling strikes on check swings in the AL wild card game too. For both teams.
To my eye, often on replays the swing actually extended a little farther than it looked live so you can sort of understand the call. Not this time.

I don't have a problem with sticking with Flores. You go with what brung you. Roberts' faith in Bellinger certainly paid off.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-15-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Paul, I more than understand your 0 for 17 Scherzer argument however, a statistician would argue that Flores was nearly certain to get the game winning hit due to regression to the mean. In other words he was overdue.

Scherzer on the other hand had noteworthy batting stats in 2021.
He was 0 for 59. Yikes
His mean was .000
Actually your math is wrong. Each at bat is an independent event. Don't believe me, start betting on teams on losing streaks.

PS your revision is an improvement. You have regressed to your own mean which is a reasonably intelligent post, not a terrible one.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-15-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:19 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Pretty sure if the Giants had been asked if they could give up Belt if the Dodgers had to give up Muncy and Kershaw they would have jumped at the chance.

I'm a Dodger fan and it was a crap call on the obviously checked swing.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-15-2021, 05:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Pretty sure if the Giants had been asked if they could give up Belt if the Dodgers had to give up Muncy and Kershaw they would have jumped at the chance.

I'm a Dodger fan and it was a crap call on the obviously checked swing.
If I am the Giants I want to see Kershaw and his 4 point whatever post season ERA on that mound.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:46 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Normally I am not a stats guy, and a always go with the percentages, blah blah blah, lefty righty, righty lefty, etc etc......I go with what feels right in the moment (but with a quick check of all necessary info. just to make sure I ain't missing anything obvious)........well 0 for 17, means he can't hit this pitcher.

He wasn't 3 for 21.......he wasn't 0 for 4........

0 for 17.......that's serious data.

You know how often a horse that is 0 for 17 wins......NEVER.

Same with hitting, if you can't hit a certain guy you can't hit him......just like when you own a pitcher and are like 8 for 12 against him.

But again I had no clue what else was on their bench.....I was going back and forth between Pawn Stars, so not sure if they showed who was on the bench, any stats etc. I looked that up this morning, because I didn't think Flores looked good on the first couple pitches and felt a K was coming, so I was curious how he did lifetime against Max, and sure enough, he can't hit him.

A+ for the job Kapler did with the Giants this season

F - if he had any hitter left on his bench, and being it was only the 9th I'm guessing he did.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-15-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Feels like a small sample size to me but I am no statistician. That's just 4 or so 0-4 games seems to me that could happen to anyone.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:04 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Do you think that Roberts et al would have has a hissy fit it the umpire had ruled no swing, no strike? I seriously doubt it and it certainly wouldn't be an issue today regardless of who ultimately won the game.
The Giants complained because a bad call went against that ended the game.

If the bases were loaded, and the Ump blew a call on a checked swing on ball 4, you bet your ass that Dodgers throw a fit.

Last edited by Jim65; 10-16-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:13 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
And with the winning run at the plate no less, with two out in the bottom of the ninth. A WTF moment for sure.
You could hear it in Ron Darling's voice immediately that a horrible call was made.

I am almost certain the umpire crew was called by NY office after the game to tell them don't do that in that situation ever again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The Giants complained because a bad call went against that ended the game.

If the bases were loaded, and the Ump blew a call on a checked swing on ball 4, you bet your ass that Dodgers throw a fit.
Moving the goal posts
The Giants' season was ended, not just the game.

Neither team's season should end in an elimination game due to a blown call.
I'm not playing favorites.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Moving the goal posts
The Giants' season was ended, not just the game.

Neither team's season should end in an elimination game due to a blown call.
I'm not playing favorites.
Your point was the Dodgers wouldn't throw a hissy fit if the call went the other way, correct? If the call went the other way, the AB would have continued with a 1-2 count. The Dodgers season wouldn't have ended on that call, so why should the Dodgers complain?
Old 10-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Your point was the Dodgers wouldn't throw a hissy fit if the call went the other way, correct? If the call went the other way, the AB would have continued with a 1-2 count. The Dodgers season wouldn't have ended on that call, so why should the Dodgers complain?
That's my point.

However egregious errors by umpires not affecting the outcome of a game or a season often result in histrionic managerial theatrics, less so now than before the advent of video replay. I sort of miss seeing irate managers getting tossed of the game by an umpire. Don't you?

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cmqUTPn08

Old 10-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Thanks for the memories.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks for the memories.
A priceless tirade. It started out as an act I think to make sure Murray didn't get himself tossed, but it took on a life of its own.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:24 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Not having Kershaw available for the series definitely hurt the Giants.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

The Dodgers play 8 innings strategy against the Braves is not working either.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.