NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-13-2021, 07:32 PM
Anthony

Default PSA and auto authenticity

Hi all - back when PSA had quarterly specials, I sent in a few cards that I got autographed in Spring Training back in the late 80's/early 90's. Three HOF's: Maddux, Chipper, and Puckett. All really nice, bold autos. I didn't think twice about sending them in - after all, I got them myself so I knew they were good. Well, PSA apparently didn't think so, and they returned all 3 with questionable authenticity. I didn't bother complaining, as I knew it would be my word against theirs. Has anyone else had an experience like this, and what did you do?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2021, 08:55 PM

Try JSA or Beckett. PSA is uber-conservative about grading certain autos. I will give Willie Stargell as an example. At the end of the day, it’s just an opinion.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:17 PM
Michael

That happened to me with Trouts I got in person along with Jeters and Kershaws. Fortunately I had a special deal with them (not anymore) where I wasn't charged for rejects. I sent them in a 2nd time and they passed. The big guys like Corcoran and Keating don't that often look at the recent guys as far as I know (could be wrong). Not sure how good the other folks are. Even though JSA doesn't slab if you want something authenticated I like them as to speed. Beckett IMO slabs too many that aren't good so JSA is a happy medium
Old 11-13-2021, 11:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Post pics. Psa should not be missing late 80s sigs of maddux chipper and Puckett. They had pretty consistent sigs.
Old 11-14-2021, 03:42 AM
Anthony

Thanks for the replies! I will post pics of the cards later today.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:48 AM
Bill H@e1ig

they usually are pretty good however a couple years ago I subbed two Goose Gossage signed cards that I personally obtained within 5 seconds of one another at a golf tournament (that looked identical).

one got slabbed as authentic and the other was returned as questionable (like who fakes a Gossage signature?). Anyways I subbed the other one again a year later and it came back as authentic

Last edited by roarfrom34; 11-14-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:08 PM
Anthony

Here are the pics - the blue sharpie appears much more bold in person. It looks a bit washed out in the scans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg autos.jpg (70.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-15-2021, 11:46 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

They probably frown upon the super-thick sharpie, and it likely clouded their judgement of these three.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:49 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
they usually are pretty good however a couple years ago I subbed two Goose Gossage signed cards that I personally obtained within 5 seconds of one another at a golf tournament (that looked identical).

one got slabbed as authentic and the other was returned as questionable (like who fakes a Gossage signature?). Anyways I subbed the other one again a year later and it came back as authentic
I've seen fake Bobby Doerr signatures posted here before, so I'm sure there's a few fake Gossages floating around out there.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:55 AM
qu@n nguy3n

i'm not an expert on puckett but his looping tends to be more ovally from what i've seen, this is almost circular and the sig looks really compacted. i can see why they were hesitant on the maddux. the chipper would probably pass by itself but once they had their doubt on the other 2 they probably just "?" the chipper also.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 11-15-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:03 PM
Michael

I agree on the Maddux and Puckett. I do not question your provinance but I can see their hesitation
Old 11-15-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
i'm not an expert on puckett but his looping tends to be more ovally from what i've seen, this is almost circular and the sig looks really compacted. i can see why they were hesitant on the maddux. the chipper would probably pass by itself but once they had their doubt on the other 2 they probably just "?" the chipper also.
Couldn't have been explained better.

For the record, I wouldn't touch the Puckett or Maddux, so can't blame them.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:10 PM
Anthony

Thanks everyone! I'm not not much of an auto guy by any means, so I didn't think of looking to see what their auto is supposed to look like, haha. Like most players who autograph in Spring Training, they were probably in a hurry to get somewhere, and the auto looks a bit different than it would if they were sitting at a table at a card show or something. Anyway, thanks again for your input, and I probably won't try to submit again if they don't look how they're supposed to. I know they're authentic, but since I have no proof, I guess I'm out of luck.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-15-2021 at 03:12 PM.