NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Ed L@m

Default Newbie questions: Signed balls: 1930 A's, unknown sig c. 1975

Hi everyone:

New member here so first of all, thanks for letting me join the forum. I've been a baseball fan since I was a kid but until recently haven't collected much. But with three boys starting t-ball and little league, my interest has grown. A couple of years ago one of my boys got his first MLB ball during batting practice and like any kid in any era of the game he was incredibly excited and it all came back to me.

I've been collecting vintage baseballs - different league presidents, different leagues, commemoratives, but not a lot of autographed material. Recently I bought two balls together on ebay. The seller wasn't a sports dealer so didn't list anything in the description except the name "Earnshaw." The balls aren't in great shape but I only paid a couple of bucks for them.

The first ball is a blue and red stitch American League baseball with a Barnard league president stamp. There is a George Earnshaw signature on the sweetspot with what looks like a badly faded Connie Mack signature underneath it. On one of the other panels I can make out Spencer Harris who was only on the Philadelphia Athletics in 1930. Underneath Harris seems to be Bing Miller. I can't really make out any other signatures and at some point some genius scrubbed half the ball away which is a real shame. My question is, can something this beat up be authenticated and secondly, would it be worth it? The Mack signature seems iffy to me and in any case would cost a hundred bucks just for PSA to look at it. I know the ball itself has a little value and a connection with a world series champion would help it but the condition is pretty poor.

The second ball is a MacPhail American League ball with a Spalding label dating it around 1975-76. There is what I think is a period Rollie Fingers and a Bobby Bonds signature plus another one I can't figure out. I need help with that one and whether or not the others seem legit.

Thanks!
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN92.jpg (55.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN93.jpg (61.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN94.jpg (55.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN95.jpg (59.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0.jpg (55.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1.jpg (55.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2.jpg (49.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3.jpg (48.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

The sig on the newer ball is Bowie Kuhn.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
J Stone

Kuhn is correct as are Fingers and Bonds.

Can't really make out the Mack but the one under Spencer is definitely Bing Miller.

IMO not worth paying the PSA tax unless you plan to sell, even then you may not recover the cost of the cert, given the ball's condition.

Last edited by MooseDog; 12-12-2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added A's notes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Ed L@m

Thanks, dgo71 and MooseDog for the identification. With Fingers and Bonds I was thinking there was some Bay area connection so I wouldn't have come up with Kuhn.

I'll probably just keep the 1930 ball for a while and hold off authenticating it. Back in October an arguably rougher Barnard sold on Ebay for $260 so beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy having something from a champion Athletics team (I grew up in Philly) plus I only paid $7.28 for the balls.