NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 PM
M@rk Comer

Default 1957 Topps Brooks Robinson

Thought I’d discuss in the autograph section concerning a player signed run. I’ve been working on a Brooks Robinson regular issued card run in pen and wondering where you guys locate the signed items in your collection. I’ve been trying to find a nice bold signed ‘57 rookie card for some time now and can’t seem to locate just the right card. I’ve seen a few nice examples in sharpie, but really wanted an ink vintage signature.

Any suggestions or recommendations for the search?
Old 06-27-2019, 10:08 PM
Michael

Robinson, B. 1957 Topps #328.jpg
Old 06-28-2019, 02:50 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Nice Brooksie! Thanks for the picture.

The other thing is I’d like the autograph to be a vintage signature. Not really from the ‘57 period, but not a modern one. Also, I personally doesn’t want any inscriptions, not that I don’t like them, but it will fit much better within my signed run. The card has to be decent as well, maybe Ex and above. Am I just too picky; I’m not sure...
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, it sounds like you're too picky. HOF autograph rookie cards signed 50 years ago aren't readily available.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-28-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:29 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Nice Brooksie! Thanks for the picture.

The other thing is I’d like the autograph to be a vintage signature. Not really from the ‘57 period, but not a modern one. Also, I personally doesn’t want any inscriptions, not that I don’t like them, but it will fit much better within my signed run. The card has to be decent as well, maybe Ex and above. Am I just too picky; I’m not sure...
You are definitely looking for a unicorn. For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years. That’s why signed Puckett rookies are so rare. Good luck on the search. I’m sure it’s out there but may be very difficult to find.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
You are definitely looking for a unicorn. For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years. That’s why signed Puckett rookies are so rare. Good luck on the search. I’m sure it’s out there but may be very difficult to find.
Not necessarily true. Almost all of the in person collectors in Boston during the 1980's, of which I was one, were getting cards signed. I mostly got index cards from 1983 forward though I did get about half of the 1983 Fleer set signed.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Jon Canfield

sounds like this is the one you were looking for:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=44865
Old 06-28-2019, 12:36 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooksie Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yes, it sounds like you're too picky. HOF autograph rookie cards signed 50 years ago aren't readily available.
I’m not necessarily looking for a Brooksie that was signed near when the card was produced. Really could be a pen signature from the 60’s probably even into the 80’s or even the 90’s; between those periods. Brooks basically shortcuts his autos now, and not that it’s a bad thing; I just like the full signature that he had in the past. Also, I’ve seen a few that were light so I try to avoid those as well.

I think you’re right though I am a bit picky...
Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 PM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks autograph

Quote:
Yes; I believe you’re right that I’m looking for something that there are a relative few.

I’ve been collecting Brooks for some time now and it’s only been a year or so that I started this run. I saw a few of those single player collector signed runs and thought it would be a fun side project and it has been. The problem was I was a bit hasty when I first started and picked up a few that I’d like to upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-28-2019, 01:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
sounds like this is the one you were looking for:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=44865
Yes; you are correct. Really like the signed rookie that was in this auction. Exactly the type I’m looking for. I saw this at the time, but wasn’t really looking for his autographed cards.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:33 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks signed rookie

I appreciate the feedback and the PM messages concerning the Brooks signed rookie card. Thanks so much for the input.

My searches are really on eBay and some of the auction houses, but I’m sure I don’t view anywhere near all the auctions that are out there. If you happen to see a nice pen example I’d love the heads up.

Also, thought I’d ask another question concerning signed cards. I always liked the ball point pen signature on a baseball card, but what do you autograph seekers think of sharpie on a card? I thought about or at least considered doing a regular issue card run of Brooks after I completed the pen signed run, but at least a couple people said I should leave it alone. What do you think?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I appreciate the feedback and the PM messages concerning the Brooks signed rookie card. Thanks so much for the input.

My searches are really on eBay and some of the auction houses, but I’m sure I don’t view anywhere near all the auctions that are out there. If you happen to see a nice pen example I’d love the heads up.

Also, thought I’d ask another question concerning signed cards. I always liked the ball point pen signature on a baseball card, but what do you autograph seekers think of sharpie on a card? I thought about or at least considered doing a regular issue card run of Brooks after I completed the pen signed run, but at least a couple people said I should leave it alone. What do you think?
Myself, I prefer the sharpie. It’s darker, more visisble and potentially more valuable because the autograph usually grades higher.

But what I, or anyone else thinks doesn’t matter. It’s your collection and I encourage you to collect what you like. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Myself, I prefer the sharpie. It’s darker, more visisble and potentially more valuable because the autograph usually grades higher.

But what I, or anyone else thinks doesn’t matter. It’s your collection and I encourage you to collect what you like. Enjoy the hunt.
Thanks for your opinion Adam. I guess we’ll see once I’ve completed the signed in pen run, if I ever do, and see if I’m interested in moving into the sharpie run. I’m still up in the air about it currently. I’ve seen some players autos where the sharpie really looks good; for example some of the Al Kaline autos.

One more thing...do you prefer black or blue sharpie?
Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Blue
Old 07-06-2019, 08:10 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
For a long time it has been thought of as forbidden to have a card signed and that has only changed in the last 10 years.
I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:10 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Back in the Day the theory was you should not get an autograph on a card that is worth more than the auto. It has been a little longer than 10 years. I think it started changing after Mantle passed.
That is why so few DiMaggio signed cards and why 51 and 52 Mantles sell for so much. The cards were worth more than the auto's Even at the 500 Home run show very few cards were signed and that was 89 If I remember correctly. And if you had a rookie card signed by all 11 that day you would have done very well much more than the value of a ball or litho.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:04 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I've never heard of such a thing.
There are 8 Kirby Puckett Autographed 1984 Fleer Update cards graded by PSA/DNA. There are no 1985 Topps Tiffany and none may exist.

Those Puckett cards were so expensive that not many people would “ruin” the card by having it signed. Puckett died in 2006.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:35 PM
kirk welch

Quote:
There are 8 Kirby Puckett Autographed 1984 Fleer Update cards graded by PSA/DNA. There are no 1985 Topps Tiffany and none may exist.

Those Puckett cards were so expensive that not many people would “ruin” the card by having it signed. Puckett died in 2006.
hold tight......i am putting in orders with jose in california . will be on ebay next week
Old 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Back in the Day the theory was you should not get an autograph on a card that is worth more than the auto. It has been a little longer than 10 years. I think it started changing after Mantle passed.
That is why so few DiMaggio signed cards and why 51 and 52 Mantles sell for so much. The cards were worth more than the auto's Even at the 500 Home run show very few cards were signed and that was 89 If I remember correctly. And if you had a rookie card signed by all 11 that day you would have done very well much more than the value of a ball or litho.
At least in my view back in the day there was a lot of options for things to get signed like photos, posters, balls, bats, etc. I think more people used cards when going TTM. I know there are a lot of options today as well, but back then I didn’t see to many people in an autograph line with cards. I, for one, wasn’t really interested in getting signed cards and was more in the boat that it ruined the card. Times have changed and my mind has changed as well. Now I like them both signed and unsigned.

By the way Jonathan how’s my favorite Louisville Slugger bat advertising poster doing?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Wow - I didn't realize there were 8 1984 Fleer Update Signed Puckett cards. This one has been on my want list for awhile. I have only seen 3 of the 8.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:53 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:

Adam,

Aren’t there quite a few of his other rookie cards signed though? Also, that’s just the cards “graded” by PSA; what about the other companies like Beckett, SGC, etc.?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I think the point about Puckett rookies was that cards like 85 topps were signed but that expensive cards like 84 Fleer update and 85 Tiffany which were expensive were very rarely signed.

PS Yes Mark yours and my favorite LS poster is still happy on my wall. For scale the two pictures on either side are in 24 inch frames. The poster is about 4 feet tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15629950100506977234098739197675.jpg (77.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I think the point about Puckett rookies was that cards like 85 topps were signed but that expensive cards like 84 Fleer update and 85 Tiffany which were expensive were very rarely signed.

PS Yes Mark yours and my favorite LS poster is still happy on my wall. For scale the two pictures on either side are in 24 inch frames. The poster is about 4 feet tall.
Think I got it on the Puckett autos. People back in the day didn’t mind getting the cards that there was a ton of signed, but didn’t want to “ruin” the expensive ones.

Man, I don’t think there’s a better advertising poster out there better than that one; it has it all (size, color and contrast, format, and then add the players of the day); just so cool.