NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Default 1914 Cracker Jack Hughie Jennings #77

Posted By: Tom

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and would like your opinion on a card I just won on Ebay. Do you think I should send it in to get graded by another company? or Should I crack it from the case?....I have done this with other cards I have bought in the past.

This is my first Cracker Jack card. I hope it is authentic since it was graded by PRO. Does anyone think it could be a reprint?

I collect mainly Goudey, Diamond Stars,T202 Hassan, and various other vintage cards, especially 1964 Stand Ups..currenly trying to finish the set.

This forum is the best I have found. I read your comments between each other weekly and enjoy them.

The link is posted here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5119787106

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

in the face and hands of the player--perhaps others have?

Surely if you've been reading this Forum for a while, you had read that PRO holders were good things to stay away from--even if the card looks good. A picture can be worth a thousand lies...

Old 09-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

As Julie notes PRO should send up a lot of red flags to the perspective buyer....

I'd like to see the back of the card first to find out if its even a '14 rather than a '15. '15s are more common and more commonly found as Reprints. If the card is really a '14 -- even if its trimmed -- you still got a decent deal.

Old 09-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 823dek

The card defintely looks right in all regards, but...whatever it is on the front would make it either a psa 5 mk or probably a sgc 40.

The inconsistency w/ Pro, you sorta hafta flip a coin and hope to win one of ten- the odds are better in VEGAS!!!!! Good luck !

Old 09-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

The low winning bid is due to the fact that the card is PRO encapsulated. PRO is notorious for encapsulating trimmed cards. If the card is real but trimmed then it's probably not a bad deal. I wouldn't try submitting it to PSA or SGC because I'm pretty sure it will come back as being altered (trimmed) at a minimum.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

Thanks for the responses. I didnt know about PRO being that bad. Oh well...lesson learned. I have the guy sending me a scan of the back...I will post it when I get it. Just hope it was real not a reprint.

Tom

Old 09-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Be cautious of PRO. I own about 5 Henderson cards graded from them and all are trimmed. Does anyone know of the following company and web site: Authentic Sports Grading. I also own a couple of these and they are trimmed. -- Tougn Luck for me! I guess that's how you learn!