NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Howard Chasser

Default An Ebay transaction first -soliciting opinions

I have been selling on Ebay for over 20 years and have not encountered what I am about to describe.

I sold a 30 year old poster still sealed rolled in its original plastic packaging. The buyer received it, opened it (intending to frame it) and found that there were some spots of damage (paper loss) where the poster had apparently stuck to itself while sealed in the package.

In your opinion - who is responsible for what here?

Thanks.

Howard
Old 02-04-2020, 08:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If you buy something unopened it would seem you take the risk and reward unless something else was said concerning condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I have been selling on Ebay for over 20 years and have not encountered what I am about to describe.

I sold a 30 year old poster still sealed rolled in its original plastic packaging. The buyer received it, opened it (intending to frame it) and found that there were some spots of damage (paper loss) where the poster had apparently stuck to itself while sealed in the package.

Thanks.

Howard

Last edited by Leon; 02-04-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:08 PM
Scott Russell

If it was an unopened wax box and the gum had eaten through the bottom two cards in every pack but he had to open the packs to find that out ebay would still force you to accept the return. In essence nobody is "responsible" however anywhere besides ebay the buyer would be S.O.L. because he, in essence, altered the state of the poster by opening it. But, when you know ebay is going to find for the buyer regardless my theory is win the customer service points and volunteer the refund. Hopefully it's not a big hit.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 02-04-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If it was an unopened wax box and the gum had eaten through the bottom two cards in every pack but he had to open the packs to find that out ebay would still force you to accept the return. In essence nobody is "responsible" however anywhere besides ebay the buyer would be S.O.L. because he, in essence, altered the state of the poster by opening it. But, when you know ebay is going to find for the buyer regardless my theory is win the customer service points and volunteer the refund. Hopefully it's not a big hit.
+1

You have no chance of winning versus ebay's return policy. Although, I do suggest you attempt a partial return first, as stated by another user.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-05-2020, 06:10 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Howard, I would just refund. If he opens a "item not as described", he will win the case. Theres no such thing as "no refunds". Even if you state no returns, Ebay's policy is that sellers must accept returns for "items not as described". If Ebay forces you to initiate the return, it goes as a mark against you.

If the buyer asks for partial refund, that's grounds to have any negative feedback removed.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:41 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Refund

You took a chance by selling an unopened 30 year old poster. The buyer took a chance when he purchased it.

I would refund the money, let the buyer keep the poster, (because you don't want a damaged, opened poster), and move on. You have had this poster laying around for 30 years, so you really aren't out anything except for the shipping.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Interesting question. Without answering the question directly of who is responsible for what I would assume you have three options.

1) No refund.
2) Partial refund.
3) Complete refund.

Not knowing more about the transaction specifics such as item value and if the buyer is threatening you with negative feedback I would advise offering a partial refund upon return of the poster. My reasoning is that although the buyer is surely disappointed you have no chance of receiving the item back in the condition that it was sold and delivered. In my opinion because of the removal of the poster from the original packaging you should not be responsible for a complete refund. No refund at all seems insensitive considering it is a reasonable expectation to receive a sealed poster in condition suitable for framing. Perhaps I am wrong with this assumption.

A possible solution would be to ask the buyer to return the poster for a partial refund with an additional refund to be sent after you relist and sell the returned item, minus your fees and costs of course. Hopefully, this type of solution would satisfy both parties.

CAMNITZ HAH BACK RUN PROJECT:

T206 Camnitz (HAH) AB 460 / SC Fact 25 and OP / EPDG (Upgrade Needed)

T206 Magee Portrait
T206 Walsh
T206 Joss Portrait
T206 Red Cobb
T206 Shag
T206 E Collins
Old 02-05-2020, 12:09 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

Thanks.

Howard
Howard, were I were the seller or the buyer, barring any words between us to the contrary, I would expect the poster to be in perfect or near-perfect condition. Since the poster wasn't (perhaps due to storage in a damp environment at some point in time), I feel that the buyer should be able to return it for a full refund, or be able to keep it with a mutually-agreed partial refund.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM
Bob Davies

One of my biggest frustrations in the world today is the lack of accountability people take for their own actions.

Buyer opens an old poster and it's damaged. How did he/she open it? Was there proper care taken?

You opened it, own up to it and go "WTF, my bad."

Old 02-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
One of my biggest frustrations in the world today is the lack of accountability people take for their own actions.

Buyer opens an old poster and it's damaged. How did he/she open it? Was there proper care taken?

You opened it, own up to it and go "WTF, my bad."

My comments are general and not directed towards Howard.

Doesn't the seller have accountability too? Maybe it was stored improperly in a wet basement. Is that the buyers fault?

If you buy a 1952 Topps unopened wax and the cards were all moldy from improper storage,are you going to just eat the loss? I wouldn't, the seller should be responsible.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM

If I sold someone an unopened 1952 Topps pack and that person took it upon themselves to open it, no way is it acceptable to expect a full refund for an unopened pack of cards you decided to open.

An unopened poster is unopened. There is no reasonable expectation for the seller to know the condition of something that has never been opened. Using the unopened pack as an example, would it be appropriate for a buyer of an unopened pack to expect a refund if they opened the pack and found the cards were off center? If the piece of gum inside the pack stained the top or bottom card?

Last edited by packs; 02-05-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:57 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If I sold someone an unopened 1952 Topps pack and that person took it upon themselves to open it, no way is it acceptable to expect a full refund for an unopened pack of cards you decided to open.

An unopened poster is unopened. There is no reasonable expectation for the seller to know the condition of something that has never been opened. Using the unopened pack as an example, would it be appropriate for a buyer of an unopened pack to expect a refund if they opened the pack and found the cards were off center? If the piece of gum inside the pack stained the top or bottom card?
Big difference is off centered cards don't happen by seller storing improperly.