NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-09-2022, 03:37 PM

Default Mickey Mantle - Real Auto?

Hello!

Any thoughts about this card? Don't really care about the Killebrew, but will listen to thoughts on whether you think the Mantle or Killebrew is real.

Thanks everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220508_113906.jpg (170.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 20220508_113912.jpg (155.9 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-09-2022, 03:42 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The Killebrew is for sure real. I believe the Mantle is good too, but older from late playing days. I’ll let others chime in.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:15 PM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Killebrew may be real but I don't really like it. Mantle is a joke, no shot.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:25 PM

I'm not surprised that many think the Mantle has no shot. The M's are totally "off". But if you study examples online, the "antle" seems very legit. I've had a couple ppl in different forums say the Mantle seems legit. But its definitely a mixed bag of responses so far.

Question: If one part of an auto seems super super strong to the point of a complete match (to past examples) but yet other letters or parts of the auto don't match up with past examples (like the Ms here), do authenticators need 100% certainty to deem it real? Or is there leeway to account for changing signatures over time? Like...does the WHOLE thing need to be 100% certain, or can parts of the auto be certain and they will still certify it. I would assume most to all of it must be pretty darn sure before they stamp it real, for sake of being wrong.

Also...side commentary to the Killebrew is real and the Mantle is fake. Why fake one? Ok simple possible answer...to get more money. But...why not also fake the Mays? Ok simple possible answer...one fake auto is not hard, but 2 is too obvious?
Old 05-09-2022, 04:30 PM

More related to the M's being "off". Yes, they don't seem to match many known examples. They are missing the moon/crescent shape common to Mantle autos.

As I was thinking about it and the "antle" seeming to be very very strong, IMO, I was trying to figure out why the M's weren't.

One answer is it's fake.

Another answer is, he was handed the card and signed it while walking, or standing up, and not sitting down at a desk?

Ok wild stretch for sure....
Old 05-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Michael

I've had a number of multisigned cards where one is real and one isnt. Typically the cheaper auto is real. having the Mantle on it GREATLY ups it's value. I do have a card where the expensive one is real (Nellie Fox) and the Aparicio is fake but probably a TTM non malicious.
That being said I have no opinion on the Mantle here for reasons above
Old 05-10-2022, 05:49 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcardwiz1016 View Post
More related to the M's being "off". Yes, they don't seem to match many known examples. They are missing the moon/crescent shape common to Mantle autos.

As I was thinking about it and the "antle" seeming to be very very strong, IMO, I was trying to figure out why the M's weren't.

One answer is it's fake.

Another answer is, he was handed the card and signed it while walking, or standing up, and not sitting down at a desk?

Ok wild stretch for sure....
The "M''s don't match any exemplar I have seen although the first one is blurry. The "Mickey" is not clear enough to discern the letter formation on the picture. The "a" looks too large in relation to the other letters and the crossing of the "t" is very uncharacteristic for Mantle. You sometimes see one that barely touches the "l" but this one crosses well over it. Mantle, unlike today's players, took great pride in his signature. Could it possibly be a very rushed on the move example as you surmise. Possibly. But I seriously doubt it. Maybe the Mantle was already on the card when the owner got Killebrew to sign it and hence explains it. If you can use a scanner to show the autograph, it will be much clearer and offer a better chance to decipher it. As to the authenticators, if they are convinced that all the other letters match his handwriting and the "M"'s are off, they would likely authenticate it based on some versions of other signatures I have seen authenticated in which a letter or two looks off.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:47 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
I've had a number of multisigned cards where one is real and one isnt. Typically the cheaper auto is real. having the Mantle on it GREATLY ups it's value. I do have a card where the expensive one is real (Nellie Fox) and the Aparicio is fake but probably a TTM non malicious.
That being said I have no opinion on the Mantle here for reasons above

Hi Mike, I love that "non-maclicious" . I'm not sure if you waner but maybe 30 years ago a 1957 Dodgers sluggers appear which was signed by all 4. This is my dream card! In the description it said the "camp was a non-maclicious secretarial ". It was the first time I had heard it, and it crushed me!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-10-2022, 09:51 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

It is not only the m's that throw me but the angle of the signature. I really don't like the tle as well.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:34 PM

Thanks everyone!

To update you all, I did a PSA QuickOpinion of the card and the only thing they said was "Likely Not Genuine".

Given that rendering I'm probably going to pass on the card, but you all have been amazing in what you are sharing here.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Hi Mike, I love that "non-maclicious" . I'm not sure if you waner but maybe 30 years ago a 1957 Dodgers sluggers appear which was signed by all 4. This is my dream card! In the description it said the "camp was a non-maclicious secretarial ". It was the first time I had heard it, and it crushed me!
Roxy would typically sign programs, cards and balls on the old Stadium club level back in the early 90's. They both went to every game and had their own spot/seat just to the left of home plate. They were very approachable and happy to meet and interact with the fans. Her signature actually looked a lot like his real signature from the early 50's. It was non-malicious,

Regarding the O/P Mantle: I don't think he would sign across his neck like that. From what I've seen and remember, He usually stacks his signature on that card. The rare occasion when its tilted like that all in 1 line, it's tucked safely under his neck. Not across it like some drunkin bum walking sideways (like everyone like to think he does...He doesn't.) The fact that I have a hard time seeing the signature tells me it's fake too. Or at least I wouldn't want it in my collection. Get PSA to give you a quick opinion. If they say likely genuine, refer back to my synopsis. I've seen more Mantles than anyone on their staff.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 05-11-2022 at 04:18 PM. Reason: ADDING I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED AT THE LAST POST, LOLOLOLO
Old 05-17-2022, 08:00 PM
Carl0s Ay.ala

Killebrew......spot on

Mantle.....don't think so