NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-13-2022, 06:42 PM
Michael

Default selfie vs autograph

My son and I spend 10 years together graphing spring training, AZ fall league and instruction league. He has moved on to other things. On his flight back home to maui from Dallas this guy was sitting in his row. if it were you would you opt for a selfie as my son did or get him to autograph some random item? I would say both but if you could only get one which would it be
IMG-20220510-WA0001.jpg
Old 05-13-2022, 09:06 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

In your son's case, since he obviously didn't have anything remotely relevant or collectible to have him sign, the selfie was probably the best move. (Unless you happen to be building a collection of signed airline barf bags! Lol) Also, given your son's age and his generation's love affair with the cellcam and the insta, the selfie was probably more meaningful to him anyways.

Since I'm an autograph collector at heart, this scenario is the very reason I never board an airplane without at least having a blank baseball, a few 3x5 index cards, a ballpoint pen and a sharpie in my carryon bag.

PS. I also agree with your original thought...whenever I'm at a banquet-style dinner and the server says, "steak or chicken?" My standard answer is "both please!"
Old 05-13-2022, 10:04 PM

I guess it depends on who it is, as far as I’m concerned. If I ran into a celebrity actor, per se, but had nothing on me, let’s ask for a picture.

An athlete, I’m going to go for the signature almost every time and don’t really need a signature from non-athletes unless Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr by some miracle signed for me, a Beatles diehard, I’d be fine with the picture since out of all the signatures I have, I can count on one, maybe two hands the number of non-sports signatures I have.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:09 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
I guess it depends on who it is, as far as I’m concerned. If I ran into a celebrity actor, per se, but had nothing on me, let’s ask for a picture.

An athlete, I’m going to go for the signature almost every time and don’t really need a signature from non-athletes unless Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr by some miracle signed for me, a Beatles diehard, I’d be fine with the picture since out of all the signatures I have, I can count on one, maybe two hands the number of non-sports signatures I have.
Me too, athletes and Beatles though since I have had the opportunity to get to know Paul Simon, I have him on a number of items like this card I had madeZZM Simon, Paul custom 2 signed 4:8:21.jpg
Old 05-14-2022, 12:09 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post

Me too, athletes (95% baseball) and Beatles though since I have had the opportunity to get to know Paul Simon, I have him on a number of items like this card I had madeAttachment 516551
Old 05-14-2022, 07:46 AM
Curran Wilkinson

That’s a pretty sweet picture with Steven Tyler. I’m a huge autograph guy but prefer older baseball players or any with halfway legible signatures. I imagine a quick airport sig from Mr Tyler would be a scribble at best. I think a photo was the best move in this case.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:23 PM
Scott Smith

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
My son and I spend 10 years together graphing spring training, AZ fall league and instruction league. He has moved on to other things. On his flight back home to maui from Dallas this guy was sitting in his row. if it were you would you opt for a selfie as my son did or get him to autograph some random item? I would say both but if you could only get one which would it be
Attachment 516531
I think your son chose wisely here but "dude looks like a lady!"

Well done and congrats. Did he get to chat with him at all? Looks pretty deserted wherever they were.

Last edited by mainemule; 05-14-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:04 PM
Michael

Just got to chat for a few minutes. Steven Tyler had 2 protective companions with him and it was taken while walking as the companions thought if they stopped and took a picture it would draw attention and potentially others to Mr Tyler
Old 05-18-2022, 05:55 AM
Ben North

I would pick the picture every time no matter the famous person. It is something cool to show friends. An autograph unless you actually seen it signed could have been signed by almost anyone including the guy showing you the autograph.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would pick the picture every time no matter the famous person. It is something cool to show friends. An autograph unless you actually seen it signed could have been signed by almost anyone including the guy showing you the autograph.
Ever heard of Photoshop? Lol