NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default I'm new here--Seeking advice

Posted By: Derek

I have a bunch of baseball cards from the 1950's that my Dad has given to me (Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, just to name a few) that I am looking to sell. Can anyone give any advice as to the best way to go about this? E-Bay? Do I need to have my cards graded first? How does that work? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

post scans ... that will help people advise you.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

Old 12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I will give you $50 for all of them.

(Just kidding . . . Geez!!)

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Have them graded- you will never get top dollar for them otherwise. Ebay is as good a place as any to sell them.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle Leeds-Tilley

Do some research, get the nice/rare one's graded, sell those off one by one on ebay or some other auction site and then sell the rest in a group lot. That should get you the most profit.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

There are two comments to note if you consign them:

1) There is no shortage of auction houses that will take them.
2) There is no shortage of buyers that will want them.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Here is a scan of one of the better cards I have available to sell. Is it recommended to have it graded? Is PSA the best option to have them graded?

Thanks for your advice.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

My advice -- Keep them raw. That is VG/EX at best (PSA 4 or SGC 50). There is still a good market for raw "collector" grade cards. Ebay is good, but if you have no auctions (and no feedback) you may want to establish your feedback rating up to the magical '10" or more mark. DO NOT sell them to a dealer as you will get pennies on the dollar for them.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Derek, your Ted Williams is worth about $100+ (real world sell value). If you have similar years and similar condition cards of Aaron, Mays, Robinson and other stars and perhaps a key rookie or two, it's safe to say your collection is worth at least a few hundred dollars.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I would have to bump that estimate a bit,if they are 50s'.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Administrator

I said At least. If 'a few' means $300, the Williams is about halfway there.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

I will scan a few more cards and post them in the next few days. Some of these others may be in a little better condition. I'm not sure. I thought they were all in pretty good shape all things considered. I don't see how anyone could keep their cards in perfect condition considering they are 50+ years old.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Derek, post the Mays, Aaron and Jackie Robinson.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim James

I would hand pick cards to grade,unlees the majority are in good cond.High grade 50's Topps and Bowman commons are bringing a good price at auction.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

I did a couple of searches for 1954 Ted Williams cards on eBay. Ungraded versions in a variety of conditions have gone for about $100. PSA 4's have sold for around $140, a PSA 5 sold for just under $200, and a PSA 6 for about $300. There are some PSA 4's currently listed on eBay, one with an opening bid of $225 and another buy-it-now for $320, both of which are overpriced.

Based on your scan, I believe your card is nicer than the Williams PSA 4's that I saw on eBay, and could possibly grade a 5. This assumes there are no wrinkles or hairline creases that are not otherwise visible on the scan. If your other cards are in similar condition, seriously consider having them graded.

Personally, I would use SGC -- good service, and their pricing is better than PSA (no club to join at SGC).

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

SGC would be my choice as well.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

for saying this but, if your plan is to get as money out of them as possible then I would have them graded by PSA. This is of course if you are willing to pay the joining fee and then the fee to have them graded. Depending on the condition of the cards - you will get more money for PSA cards rather than SGC. I would rather have MY cards graded by SGC but like I said if you want to make as much money as possible PSA still brings the cash on ebay, especially for this era.
OK, I'm going to go puke now.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Can I post all my cards in the main thread and ask questions about them before selling especially my 50's 60's and 70's cards?

Let's please put an end to this.

Lee

Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Wow!

Old 12-30-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Jay - if you were brand new to the forum I would cut you a little slack. I don't see too many threads talking about post war cards....actually during the holidays it's been a little quiet. Hopefully folks are paying attention to more important things in life....like beer or something.... As always this won't turn into any kind of board other than what it's focus is...as long as I am moderating.... take care....

Old 12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Leon,

I agree, rather refreshing me thinks.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator

I will take credit for the earlier post, not Jay.

I have no problem with newbies, but what I have a problem with this thread is that it has been a week since the last response and it comes back to life.

When a non pre-WWII thread comes up from a newbie, just tact a notice on the thread that this is not the proper forum, I know you have done this in the past.

If you bring over the beer Leon my door is always open, unless there is a pile of snow in front of it.

Lee

Old 12-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Good Lord Lee, do you ever cut anyone any slack?

Newbie's all have to start somewhere and who knows, maybe by being helpful and the such we'll have another vintage collector added to the ranks.

I don't remember you being too concerned about pimping that 'new' ebay place in way too many threads not so long ago. Whats the difference? And no, it wasn't dedicated to pre-war either.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

As much as it pains me to do this, I have to agree with my brother. The thread was dead a buried with plenty of good answers for the initial post. Reviving the thread is merely self-serving at this point.

Leon is free to run the board as he see's fit, but after a 2 week lay off from the initial post, the original poster can't really claim newbie ignorance anymore.

As for my brother's pimping of nationalsportscards.com, how can people complain about a venue that allows to present your cards for sale that doesn't cost the buyer or seller any money? If this board were perfect, the B/S/T thread would be set up like their site. I love the funcationality of the site. You can set up want lists and get an email notice whenever a card on your want list is posted. I think it's a great alternative to eBay. I just wish more people would use it.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Although I agree that there should be parameters which are followed as for topic, length of a discussion, etc., there's an awful lot of useless drivel and bickering on here, that are so far from vintage cards and which continue way past their novelty. So, in this case, yes, it has probably lived its useful life, but let's not forget to cut each other some slack either.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Jay,

Thanks for the mention of the other web site. I just registered, and will have to keep my eye on that one too. The list of bookmarked sites in my BB folder just grows and grows! )

Joann

Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

So let me get this straight . . . there was a car wreck. Certain individuals could have driven past it, but instead chose to gawk along with the crowd and now are complaining that the authorities have allowed a crowd to gather. Uhhh . . . okay.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Sorry to add to this thread but i just wanted to advise the people here that you do not need to be a member pf PSA to submit cards to them.

PSA authorized dealers can submit them for you

and Psa in conjunction with ebay has a program as well.

Thanks

Steve

Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Jeez, I didn't realize my simple little post would create such a firestorm around here. I stumbled upon this site when I did a Google search for "baseball card message board", and this site was one of the first ones listed. Honestly, I just now noticed that this site is dedicated to pre-WWII baseball cards. It was my fault for not recognizing this before when I posted. I apologize if I did not follow the proper protocol here. I just sort of jumped right in and did not read the "rules" of the forum first. I suppose my post was similar to someone posting a message about "Nip/Tuck" on the "Lost" message board. I was only looking for a little advice and how to get the maximum value in return for my cards. I'm sure I'm no different than every other red-blooded American who is looking to get the most bang for his or her buck. That being said, I've posted on a variety of message boards over the years and I realize there's always going to be a few dicks on every forum irregardless of the subject being discussed.

As far as the 2-week lag time between posts on this thread, I became a little preoccupied with the holidays and all the craziness that this time of year usually entails. So, selling my baseball cards had to take a backseat to some other things going on in my life at the time. I'm sure the majority of you can relate. I didn't realize that 5 replies to my initial post and a handful of e-mails from people suddenly made me an expert on the topic at hand and a "non-newbie" any longer?! Wow. That's kinda laughable. Its not like I was getting the same response from everyone either. Some people recommended not getting my cards graded. Some recommended getting them graded. Some recommended SGC for grading. Others recommended PSA. If my post was self-serving, then ummm, yeah, well I guess it was. lol Who isn't looking out for themselves first? Are you saying that the majority of the people on here aren't self-serving and are trying to make money for OTHER people and not themselves? Good Lord. I wasn't on here to steal anyone's thunder or become a millionaire or to become a card dealer or anything like that, so some of you can relax a bit. If giving someone else some free advice "makes you want to kick yourself" or "go puke" then don't give out any advice. No one forced you to divulge all your "secrets". Perhaps you're in the wrong profession. You should consider being a shrink so you can get paid for all the advice you give people.

I would like to thank the majority of you who did offer your opinions and advice both in personal e-mails and posting messages. It was much appreciated. I am still a bit confused as to how I want to proceed, but you have given me some ideas to ponder over. Like I said, its not like there was a general consensus of advice. I will not post scans of any of my other cards on this particular forum since it appears that this is not the appropriate place to do so. If someone could maybe refer me to another forum that might be a little more suitable to my topic, I would enjoy hearing from you. And to the few dicks out there, I'm sure you'll just go on being dicks.

I'll crawl back into my little hole now and disappear. I wouldn't want this thread to exceed the maximum number of replies of 28.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Don't let the Net 54 Pharisees get you down. Feel free to come back here again or just lurk. Best wishes!

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

David:

I had to break out my Webster's to figure out what you were talking about... but that was a pretty good description.

Derek:

Don't let the pathetic minority form your opinion about the rest of us.

Edited to correct typos unless otherwise noted.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Being the resident dick around here, I'll take you to task for being a total net idiot. If you been to other newsgroups and message boards, then you should have learned by now that you read the FAQ and get a feel for the board before making a post. If you haven't learned that by now, then you are an idiot if you think I am dick for being annoyed by you reviving this thread.

Jay- adding the title resident dick to the current titles of dunderhead and heartless attacker.

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Trying to figure out how bickering, personal attacks, and bashing of people for off-topic posts counts as "vintage baseball card discussion". Because I see far more of those three things from some regulars here than I see off-topic posts from new members to the forum.

Derek, I wish you the best of luck with your cards, and was actually looking forward to seeing your scans. My advice to you, at the risk of enraging the masses, would be to spend a little time with the cards. If you have any interest in baseball, there's a world of amazing things to learn that can be a wonderful way to spend time. Check out the Jackie Robinson card your dad gave you - Jackie was one of the most important Americans who ever lived, and you've got a little slice of history there, thanks to your dad. I learned about Jackie Robinson from my grandfather, and I've told my son all the stories my grandfather told. Some day, my son will get Jackie Robinson cards from me, and remember those stories. That's worth way more than whatever I could sell the cards for.

Baseball is magic, and baseball cards are an extension of that magic. You could sell those cards and make a little cash, or you could save them and perhaps become interested in a hobby that, for the most part, is unbelievably enriching and filled with great people.

-Al

Edited to add the very important word "some".

Old 12-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Al, Derek was not bashed for his inital post. He gets bashed for bringing up what was essentially a dead post that should not have been revisited. He also gets bashed for calling those of us willing to speak up, idiots. Doesn't make a good impression when your lone thread is OT and then you start calling regulars idiots when you claim to frequent other message boards and then don't even bother to read the FAQ or look at the title of this message baord.

If a noob is going to come here and starting calling me and others idiots when he doesn't bother to read the FAQ or title of this board, then he had better be prepared for the resultant flak he gets.

Jay

Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

this place was alot better 2-3 years ago with "idiots" like jay b and lee, and i could almost put a face to every name, than all the noobs today...who are these people anyways, thanks google! jay b don't even have time to talk about his t208 firesides or his SN thorpe anymore since he's busy fighting with the new people.

i've also noticed a few of the "need help" or "please identify" threads on the main board making its way onto the BST. not sure if these are vintage collectors we're fostering or they just want a quick flip.

p.s. nationalsportscards.com rocks!

edited for the OP if you want the most money for cards I'd go with PSA, although if you're totally new to the world of grading don't be shock when your NRMT cards come back as 3s and 4s.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Administrator

I believe he referred to you as a "dick" and not an "idiot".

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 12-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Administrator

He refered to me as both. I can deal with being called a dick. My personality isn't for everyone. Call me an idiot, and you are in serious trouble, since I am far from it on just about any topic except relationships with women. I don't think any of us guys have figured that one out yet

Jay

Old 12-31-2005, 01:08 AM
Administrator

I have participated on this board from the inception and been a contributor for a long time. I have no problem voicing an opinion if I feel it needs voicing, but I have never called anyone a name (other than my brother ), which I believe is childish.

The original poster has shown his true colors in his response, so I guess my response was appropriate.

Lee

Old 12-31-2005, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 12-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Derek-

Don't let Lee or Jay run you off. I have been a member of this forum for years and hardly post, but I do read it every day. These two bitch and moan about everything. They have nothing better to do it seems. It is really too bad. However, do not let a couple of rotten apples spoil the whole bunch.

Jason

Old 12-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

Derek-

Also like I said in my email, another option would be to consign to someone who is knowledgable and that you can trust. Sometimes grading is not the answer. I would only recommend it if the cards were high grade. I good consigner would know these things. Most will charge around 20%. If you are interested please contact me. I can steer you in the right direction.

Jason

Old 12-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

Yes, let's keep the newbies out, with their crazy questions. Keep them off the boards, keep them out of the hobby. This hobby was much better when it was small.

Ted asked the guy to post a scan. After the holidays, he posted a scan. Then he got blasted for it.

Seems like beating people up is a sport for some people around here. It gets frustrating for those of us that like to use message boards to interact with collectors and learn more about the hobby.

How about this: instead of kicking the guy for being new and posting O/T, how about giving him an answer to his question? I bet this awful O/T thread would go away quicker that way.

-Al

Old 12-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

I have found an effective strategy is to not click on the threads that do not interest me. It works quite well. Some of you should try it.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Edited to delete editorial comments...

Old 12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Old 12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Jason, as I've pointed out several times, Derek did not get blasted for his intial post. Everyone gets slack when they first come here. It's his revival of the thread and the RUDE response that is what he is getting blasted for now. He claims to have been to other mesage boards before, so there is no excuse for him not reasing the FAQ before posting. Call me an idiot, but I always read the FAQ of any new board I visit and plan on posting to. Derek is just a reflection of our society where rudeness reigns supreme and everyone should be handing them everything on a silver platter. And from the sounds of his posts, he got lots of email responses, so why revive the thread and act like a bull in a china shop? He reaped what he sowed.

Jason, part of the reason I "bitch and moan" is the fact that there are a number of other prominent board members that feel the same way I do. They would prefer not voice their opinions in public to maintiain a spotless public image. I don't have a problem with that. I'm not here to win popularity contests. Every time something like this happens, I always get a number of emails from other members saying they wish they had the guts to speak up like I do. I will continue speak up as long as there is support from other prominent members.

Jay

Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

My quick and dirty recomendation for Derek is to get perhaps 2-3-4-5 of the star cards (ala 1954 Ted Williams you posted) graded by PSA. If a few of the key cards are graded by PSA, even if not given high grades, it will give potential bidders more confidence in the overall collection and they will bid more. There are regular card sellers on eBay who can sell the cards for you. They will charge a percentage of sales, but you will get a fair price and they will do all the dirty work for you (identififying, accurate gradint, etc). Visit scgaynor.com, as he is a reputable seller who specializes in vintage baseball cards and memorabilia.

If you have questions about particular cards and are scared of posting scans here, you can contact me via ////////// I am not a potential buyer or dealer of your cards, and will you honest input.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan

Edited

Nevermind. What is the point.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

OK. I'm not ringning in on the main issue here. But I will say that I learn a lot from this forum, and have always gotten quick and helpful responses to any question I have. And that includes even the real lame questions like displaying T3's - that question resulted in some awesome pictures of displays - check them out if you haven't already. And one in the last few minutes about Ty Cobb split grip has already netted two responses.

I'll stay out of the main fray, but did want to offer a counterpoint from a newbie/lurker that does learn and find people willing to teach here.

Joann

Old 12-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Bryan, posts like yours make me sick. I don't want to get into a long debate, but i hope that you don't conduct yourself in everyday life the same way.