NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 05-29-2020, 01:06 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Default WTB: 1958 Alifabolaget Pele

Something in the 4-6 range would be ideal. If you have something for sale, please send me a PM with pics and $.

Thank You, Scott
Old 08-05-2020, 01:03 AM

I have one for sale at the Swedish version of Ebay (Tradera). It's not a 4-6, but the price is on the other hand lower 😉.

https://www.tradera.com/item/411409200
Old 08-21-2020, 01:45 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Sold for 34 833 kr ($4,000 USD). And we're looking at a PSA 1 here! This is probably the highest price ever paid for a poor example.

I think people went nuts over this card after seeing that PSA 7 go for $43,511 USD. But I don't know, man. Is that normal? For a $6 - $7,000 card to shoot up that high so suddenly? And again, we're talking about PWCC here. I wouldn't use any of their sales as comps, but somebody actually did and ended up spending $75,000 USD on a PSA 8!
Old 08-21-2020, 06:38 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I've seen a couple big sales on Heritage, for example, of 8s and 9s. I don't really question those (okay, maybe a little) This guy's in the same class as Gretzky, IMO.

Ruth got overtaken by Mays, Montana got overtaken by Brady, now there's arguments over MJ v. LeBron - no one really argues Pele or Gretzky as being the greatest ever in their sport.

Having said that, $4K for a beater 1 is wild! And, like you said, I pretty much ignore PWCC - did you see the bidding on that sale? It was over $10K within like 20 minutes of the auction being listed.

I've been looking for the right one for a few years now, passed on a couple I wish I would have got now. Maybe out of my price range until this craziness stops.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:09 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
This guy's in the same class as Gretzky, IMO.
I think Pele is bigger than Gretzky. Soccer is a global sport and Pele is recognized in every part of the world. The same isn't true for Gretzky. I once read this funny article where Gretzky was in China, and the Chinese media thought he was some high-ranking politician! It was quite embarrassing. Anyhow, despite Pele's global popularity, it still doesn't justify the craziness that has been happening with his Alifabolaget card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
no one really argues Pele or Gretzky as being the greatest ever in their sport.
I think for a long time Pele was considered the GOAT, but Messi has been posing a huge threat to him for a while now.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:19 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Yes, I was referring to the perceived dominance within their give sport. Clearly, Pele has a much larger global following of fans and recognition.

Perhaps this large sale in the EU is a sign of more European collectors getting into the card market, who knows? Or maybe the rising tide of this basketball card madness lately. Either way, nice return for the seller, it would be interesting to see the sale of a nice mid-grade Alifabolaget or Quigol at a trustworthy auction house.

BTW, just my personal opinion, but I don't see Messi matching up to Pele primarily due to his failings in international play. Probably not fair but that stuff matters when talking about aa time greats.