NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-19-2021, 11:36 AM
David H.

Default How many of us have been there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou Gehrig Items
Christy Mathewson Cards
Addie Joss Cards
E103 (30/30 100%)
T206 NY Highlanders (100%)
1956 Topps Yankees (100%)
T210 Series 3 Orange Borders (9/20 45%)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:37 PM

Ha ! Good one. I got caught a year ago when I didn't tell my wife about a $1200. card I bought. The shipping was delayed and she found out - wasn't real happy with me for keeping a large purchase secret.

I have always been hesitant to tell the wife of purchases. Usually I try to convince her we won't lose money. Now I have been hesitant to tell her how much the collection is worth in todays market - don't want her to get any ideas of thinking about a house remodel with the (paper) profits.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:15 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Mine saw basically a small college refrigerator box from REA. A little upset about that much crap in the house

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
I have always been hesitant to tell the wife of purchases. Usually I try to convince her we won't lose money. Now I have been hesitant to tell her how much the collection is worth in todays market - don't want her to get any ideas of thinking about a house remodel with the (paper) profits.
My wife is on a debt payoff kick. It's good for the family and doesn't bother me. She gets very anxious about debt; her dad was on strike for 3 years, and they lived meekly. Baseball cards are a horrible waste of money in her opinion. So I don't share much about cards with her. Anyway, she reduced my monthly allotment to purchase cards to $100, which is fine, I am good at making it stretch usually. Barry Larkin stuff isn't very expensive. But I just spent 70% of my yearly budget on one card, and I didn't tell her....yet. I'm waiting for a doghouse moment where I can just blurt out that I bought another baseball card.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 02-19-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Don't tell if not asked. My cards are bought from money that I saved from my wood projects

Last edited by rgpete; 02-24-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 PM
Sean McGinty

I live in Japan. I used to buy cards from American sellers on Ebay. I would try to keep my purchase totals low so there wouldn’t be any customs duties on them, but one day I found a bargain that I couldn’t resist that was significantly over the duty free limit.

Fast forward 3 weeks and I get home from work to find the card had arrived (great) and my wife knew exactly how much it had cost because SHE had unexpectedly found herself having to pay the customs duties on it when the mailman delivered it (not so great).

Last edited by seanofjapan; 02-24-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
My wife is on a debt payoff kick. It's good for the family and doesn't bother me. She gets very anxious about debt; her dad was on strike for 3 years, and they lived meekly. Baseball cards are a horrible waste of money in her opinion. So I don't share much about cards with her. Anyway, she reduced my monthly allotment to purchase cards to $100, which is fine, I am good at making it stretch usually. Barry Larkin stuff isn't very expensive. But I just spent 70% of my yearly budget on one card, and I didn't tell her....yet. I'm waiting for a doghouse moment where I can just blurt out that I bought another baseball card.
Update: my wife asked if I bought a new card. I said yes and of course, she couldn't believe how foolish I was....blah blah blah.... she's still upset but we had a nice conversation with my 7 year old son about credit, debts, and paying off debt. I'm sure he stopped caring about the time of the second sentence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-25-2021, 06:18 AM
John Hanssen

My wife gives me a harder time when I sell off things. She says I’m snicking off to the post office. She’s thinks people will rip me off and distrusts “a bunch of guys that spend money on cardboard”. Last is that she never sees and of the money because I just turn around and buy 1 more expensive card instead of the bunch of lower end ones. “Isn’t it better to have more????.”
Old 02-25-2021, 09:34 AM
Gary

I have a good size vintage lunch box collection. My wife positively encouraged me to focus on cards because they take up A LOT less room than lunchboxes
Old 02-25-2021, 10:23 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
I have a good size vintage lunch box collection. My wife positively encouraged me to focus on cards because they take up A LOT less room than lunchboxes
My 7 yr old son's resolution was that my wife continue to pay off debt, and I continue to buy cards, and we could both be happy! I thought he was wise, my wife just looked at me like I was poisoning my son with illogical thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2021, 04:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Shameless plug . For a chuckle, check out numbers 53 & 255 in this thread...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293235

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:22 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Mine saw basically a small college refrigerator box from REA. A little upset about that much crap in the house

That's my biggest problem. How much space is it going to take up? Isn't your office getting kind of messy?

I really miss our big attic in our last house. Now we have a bigger yard for the dogs, but less storage for Dave. Had to get really creative with racks on wheels in my new storage room.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:28 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Shameless plug . For a chuckle, check out numbers 53 & 255 in this thread...

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=293235
Those are great! I read them when you posted them originally.