NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Barry Sloate

Default Strange Orioles- White Sox Game

Because of the riots in Baltimore, the Orioles and the White Sox will play a game tomorrow afternoon with no fans allowed to attend. I assume MLB is afraid of fans going beserk during play. To my knowledge, this is the first time in major league history that a regulation game will be played to an empty stadium. It will be kind of eerie for the players not to hear any sounds after a strike out, home run, or other key play. What a strange game it will be.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 PM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Because of the riots in Baltimore, the Orioles and the White Sox will play a game tomorrow afternoon with no fans allowed to attend. I assume MLB is afraid of fans going beserk during play. To my knowledge, this is the first time in major league history that a regulation game will be played to an empty stadium. It will be kind of eerie for the players not to hear any sounds after a strike out, home run, or other key play. What a strange game it will be.
I suspect it would me more a concern for the safety of the fans and the ballpark in general from those who were rampaging across the city than any concern about the fans themselves.

Pity they couldn't just play in Bowie or something so fans could still see the game. Would make a heck of an unusual double header if the Baysox were at home, as well.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I have the mlb package and look forward to watching.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post

Barry- During the late 1980's, the Braves came REAL close to playing for nobody...several times. You could sit where ever you wanted.

Coincidentally, the Braves are uprooting from a lower-income area to a high-middle-class neighborhood...possibly avoiding that kind of game for the 'Baltimore' type reason.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Dave

I posted this link in another topic. Only 250 fan's showing up for an Oakland game.
http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2015/04/25...ntent=20150426
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 AM

My memory was a little off: On September 8, 1975, the Braves lost to the Astros 9-6 in front of 737 hard-core Atlanta fans. That's the lowest attendance for a Braves game I have found so far.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-29-2015, 01:20 PM
Grant Rainsley

Default Gotta Like it...

5th inning throw to 1st to retire the side......and the first baseman tosses the ball into the stands.........the EMPTY stands!
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I saw that too Grant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
5th inning throw to 1st to retire the side......and the first baseman tosses the ball into the stands.........the EMPTY stands!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:29 PM

Default Well, Looks like someone snuck in:

Game Information

Stadium Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore, MD
Attendance 1 (0% full) - % is based on regular season capacity
Game Time 2:03
Weather 74 degrees, sunny
Wind 4 mph
Umpires Home Plate - Jerry Layne, First Base - Hunter Wendelstedt, Second Base - Bob Davidson, Third Base - David Rackley

Old 04-30-2015, 08:36 AM

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Yogi Berra

FOUL BALL ALL ALONE.jpg

Old 05-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Rick

A score card from that game would be something to have. I'd guess some were printed up in advance, obviously none were sold, although the press may have had access to some....wondering?