NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Default Joe Jackson w-514: GOOD NEWS!!

Posted By: ben

Here's the message I received from the guy who sold the Joe Jackson w-514:

ben,
"i guarantee it is authentic. it was purchased from an assorted group of strip
cards in a bill maestro auction several years ago. if you send it in and a
reputable grading company (like psa, sgc, beckett) sends it back as not
authentic i will give you a full refund. you have ninety (90) days to apply
for a refund, plenty of time to get it authenticated, and i am confident it
will be authenticated."

SO, I guess I have nothing to worry about...I am so excited, finally I get the card of my dreams! Thanks for everybody's advice, I will put a scan of the card up on this board when it arrives so everyone can admire its beauty!

Ben

Old 10-08-2002, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

Unfortunately, someone else had a story about how they'd been told the card they bought should grade at such and such and if it didn't, the seller would refund. I can't remember what the defect was with the card, but the grading company wouldn't do it, and when the buyer asked the seller for a refund, the seller gave him some b.s. about there's absolutely no way that card shouldn't have been graded by the company and the seller refused to refund.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Okay, I am considering sending in the Joe Jackson w-514 to SGC. I was just wondering, can SGC send strip cards back ungraded with evidence of trimming? since strip cards are TRIMMED from a larger strip, that would seem silly.

I'm only asking this because the Joe Jackson seems to be a little miscut (short) on the left border, and the right border is a little wide (you can still see the dotted line where it was supposed to be cut). I can't imagine the card will grade any better than a 20.

But as far as authenticity goes, I'm pretty confident that the card will be genuine.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I know SGC has graded strip cards and I believe most are handcut so I am not sure how they can refuse one for being trimmed.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I would think they might reject the card if it is too small

Old 10-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

I don't know what Ben's particular worries about this card are. If the issue is that it might be a counterfeit, that issue should be quickly resolved without having to submit it (for example, the lines including in the Joe's image, on the authentic card are solid). Apparently, the issue of trimming is only an issue if the card is too small. I don't know the pricing for this card, but it would seem that the buy price is decent if if the card is tad small. Simularly, any potential alterations (touching up with ink or whatever) will be able to be identified by close inspection.

While I don't an issue with submitting it to SGC, I don't think it's a neccesity.

Old 10-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I just bought 200 strips from an original family owner and there are about 40 different sizes in there so I believe sizes vary from the original cutters shaking hand.