NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Ben North

Default Rare 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken warning

There is a altered card on COMC listed as a White Scribble. It looks nothing like a White Scribble and appears to be altered to look like it does. Here is a picture of the card.

The pic with 2 card is what a real White Scribble looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy-Ripken-(White-Scribble-on-Knob).jpg (58.1 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 02a.jpg (72.1 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 04-12-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:51 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thanks; I reported it, and they should take it down. Looks like the current owner may have bought it on site, in which case they'll refund the purchase.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Thanks; I reported it, and they should take it down. Looks like the current owner may have bought it on site, in which case they'll refund the purchase.
It has been reported multiple times for at least a week. I even messaged an employee who said they would have it removed by last Friday.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Al Richter

This is a card where one could accumulate a collection of fakes. I know of at least two instances where Lemke listed and pictured items he labeled as fakes in the Standard Catalog. I wondered whether such listings or other hobby recognition of some cards as fakes gives them a type of collectible value to some collectors, beyond trying to scam other collectors

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-13-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:08 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
This is a card where one could accumulate a collection of fakes. I know of at least two instances where Lemke listed and pictured items he labeled as fakes in the Standard Catalog. I wondered whether such listings or other hobby recognition of some cards as fakes gives them a type of collectible value to some collectors, beyond trying to scam other collectors
Yes two of the fakes are very collectible. The B/W test issue is a known fake and most Ripken collectors own one.

Then there is the one known as the "Mystery Card". It is semi rare with around 30 known copies. PSA has graded 6 of them that I know of and I have owned 3 of them. Some think it is a test/promo type card. I personally think it is 100% counterfeit and it really isn't debatable to me.

The B/W test issue sells from $2-$10 each and the Mystery Cards have sold from $50 to $150 and $400 to $900 each for a graded example.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:06 AM
Ben North

Bump to note the bad card is now removed from COMC.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes two of the fakes are very collectible. The B/W test issue is a known fake and most Ripken collectors own one.

Then there is the one known as the "Mystery Card". It is semi rare with around 30 known copies. PSA has graded 6 of them that I know of and I have owned 3 of them. Some think it is a test/promo type card. I personally think it is 100% counterfeit and it really isn't debatable to me.

The B/W test issue sells from $2-$10 each and the Mystery Cards have sold from $50 to $150 and $400 to $900 each for a graded example.
That mystery card is one very strange card. It has many elements that say FAKE! and yet it also has some that are totally not typical of either fakes or real cards.

Enough weirdness it could be discussed for a long time, (Or 10 seconds)

I'm probably who Ben is saying thinks it's not necessarily fake. I'm on the fence. Fakers of that era typically made the same mistakes and made them over and over. That card is a collection of very atypical mistakes, especially a couple that required more work than just copying a card. (effort that Fleer didn't even put into their cards. )
Old 04-13-2021, 12:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That mystery card is one very strange card. It has many elements that say FAKE! and yet it also has some that are totally not typical of either fakes or real cards.

Enough weirdness it could be discussed for a long time, (Or 10 seconds)

I'm probably who Ben is saying thinks it's not necessarily fake. I'm on the fence. Fakers of that era typically made the same mistakes and made them over and over. That card is a collection of very atypical mistakes, especially a couple that required more work than just copying a card. (effort that Fleer didn't even put into their cards. )
Actually I am about the only one to call it a counterfeit. Most of the Ripken collectors want it to be/think it is a real Fleer product.

Steve really knows printing and I stayed at a Holliday Inn express so we respectfully disagree with each other and that is fine.

As far as grading companies go SGC has rejected 2 and Beckett rejected 1 as being counterfeit. PSA has been hit and miss as they have graded 6 as real and rejected some as counterfeit.

Here is a pic of the Mystery card and the Test Issue card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r2F.jpg (70.7 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg r2B.jpg (73.0 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 04-13-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 PM
Robert J. Miller

Looks like he dabbed white out on the card.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 PM
Rich Klein

There is now a hold on the Ripken card in question.,

And I apologize if it was me for last Friday as I got my 2nd dab on Wednesday. had a not so good reaction, and did not return till Friday and was frankly at half speed that day. The best way, as mjohn will verify, is if you email me I have a much better memory to make data base changes such as this or the DeCinces noted in a different thread.

Rich
Old 04-13-2021, 07:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
There is now a hold on the Ripken card in question.,

And I apologize if it was me for last Friday as I got my 2nd dab on Wednesday. had a not so good reaction, and did not return till Friday and was frankly at half speed that day. The best way, as mjohn will verify, is if you email me I have a much better memory to make data base changes such as this or the DeCinces noted in a different thread.

Rich
That's too bad you had a bad reaction to your second dose. Hope you are back up to speed now. A bad card got taken down so in the big picture that is all that matters.

Have a great evening Rich.

Last edited by bnorth; 04-13-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Another Ripken to NOT buy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Ripken...QAAOSwnCden5Ya

These are FAKE, this guy is a FRAUD, and do NOT buy from him. He has been selling these quite often over the last 6 months, and they are NOT authentic.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statfreak101 View Post
Another Ripken to NOT buy...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Ripken...QAAOSwnCden5Ya

These are FAKE, this guy is a FRAUD, and do NOT buy from him. He has been selling these quite often over the last 6 months, and they are NOT authentic.
Tim has been selling those fake white outs for years.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Looks like he dabbed white out on the card.
i was gonna suggest he did something else to the card, but that's not a family-type response
Old 04-15-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhockey View Post
i was gonna suggest he did something else to the card, but that's not a family-type response
That's just nasty.
Old 04-16-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Tim has been selling those fake white outs for years.
He sure has - I have even messaged him and called him out on it...and he just made empty threats.

Just reported the current one listed as counterfeit/not authentic, but of course eBay does nothing.