NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-05-2021, 12:58 PM
Andrew

Default Question for the binder users

Hi all -

From what I've read here, at least some of you store relatively valuable cards in binders. Obviously we all have different definitions of what "relatively valuable" means, but how have you been able to get comfortable with that (whatever your $ threshold may be)?

I ask because I'm finding my boxes of top loaders to be pretty unfulfilling. I buy the card, I admire it, I put it away, and there it pretty much stays. I would like to enjoy my cards more, but putting, say, a $300 card in a plastic sheet would give me some anxiety. Any advice for getting over that?
Old 04-05-2021, 01:33 PM
Chris

I struggle with this too. For a long time I would keep sets in binders but pull out the most valuable cards to keep in top loaders or one touches in a lock box.

Then I went a step further and pulled out all the significant rookies and put them into top loaders too. But that just got me frustrated because there were so many gaps in my binders that it didn’t make any sense. Almost became just binders full of commons that I’d never look at.

Right now I only have relatively modestly priced complete sets in binders - (all cards - rookies, superstars, etc) Topps 1970, 1971 and 1973 - 2020.

Once I get going on the 60s, who knows. I can’t imagine I’d want to keep my 1961 Mantle in a binder. Honestly, another factor that I always keep in the back of my mind is a fire. If there is a fire I can easily grab my lock box of most valuable cards but I’d never be able to run out with all my binders.

Check out the thread I started on the main page about storing 1933 Goudeys. Several posters recommended links to cool looking binders that have slip cases for an extra level of protection. I’ll probably go that route for Goudey and 50s topps sets where even the semi stars will need some extra care.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Andrew

I'm aware of the one binder/sheets product out there that is meant to store top loaders, but they're really expensive and store relatively few cards.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I have not done this yet, but it's on my list as I've got quite a few sets in binders going back to the 50's - some with all the cards in them and some with the higher price/graded cards pulled out.

Anyway, I plan to pull the higher value cards out, make color copies of them and then put the photos of them back in the binders and keep the actual cards stored someplace safer.

BTW, I also strongly dislike blank spots in my binders.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 04-05-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Anyway, I plan to pull the higher value cards out, make color copies of them and then put the photos of them back in the binders and keep the actual cards stored someplace safer.
That is a great idea.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I have not done this yet, but it's on my list as I've got quite a few sets in binders going back to the 50's - some with all the cards in them and some with the higher price/graded cards pulled out.

Yes, that is what I have done. For instance in the 1973 Topps set, the Schmidt rookie is a photocopy of the front and back.

Generally if it is worth more than $30-40 I have a photocopy in there.

I'm also not super picky on my binder sets, VG is good enough.

For my HOF singles collection, I generally prefer a little better grade.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:29 PM
Mark

All my cards for all my sets (that's every Topps and Bowman set back to 1948) are in the binders with only one exception.

I have the Mantle and Mays rookies from 1951 Bowman tucked away with reprints in their place.
Other than that they are all there with all their brothers. Since I'm the only one who looks at them I have no worries about them being mishandled. I know how to open and flip binder pages.

I did have one other variation. My 1954 Aaron rookie is in the binder, but i trimmed down a top loader so it would fit in the pocket and have the Aaron resting between the plastic.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:36 PM
Chris

Mark, you have a 52 Mantle in a binder?!?! I love it!!!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Jay Shumsky

All of my sets are either in binders or the appropriate size card box for the set. There are a few cards I keep in top loaders (52 Mantle, Robinson, Campanella and Mathews, 54 Aaron, 55 Clemente and Koufax, and a few other cards from the 50s, but everything else is together with the set. My cards are already VG at best so I figure keeping them in a binder or box can't do too much more damage to them.

Last edited by jayshum; 04-06-2021 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2021, 10:11 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

I use reprints for as a stand-in for my most valuable cards. The only good use for a reprint in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:48 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I love putting sets in binders. Makes it easier to flip through them and admire them, remember putting them together, etc. And I put all the stars, HOFers, whatever in the binder. Even $100 BV cards, $400 BV cards, whatever go into the binder.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Al Stein

I keep my cards in card savers and put the card savers in binders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 PM
Dan Bretta

I keep my sets in binders and the higher dollar cards are also in there but I put them in card savers and then insert them into the 4 pocket pages that were made for postcards.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I keep my sets in binders and the higher dollar cards are also in there but I put them in card savers and then insert them into the 4 pocket pages that were made for postcards.
This. Except I use Mylar for the prewar and more acid-vulnerable cards. And these binders are great:

https://www.unikeep.com/binders-and-...ay-3-pack.html

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-08-2021, 07:53 PM
Patrick N.

Default toploader

i have a toploader binder and z folio for cheaper $10 and under cards i love them both b/c I can look at my cards!
Old 04-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Casey

Everyone of my cards go in binder. But none are more than $300ish (maybe only one $500ish). I break them all out of slabs. I might keep a rare card in slab and display on my shelf someday...but, haven't gotten there yet.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
This. Except I use Mylar for the prewar and more acid-vulnerable cards. And these binders are great:

LuckyLarry can direct anyone to a mylar card sleeve site if folks need some; I would but I've lost the link.

Last edited by toppcat; 04-13-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

tcverify.com

good products. I've ordered several times.

Or not...
Old 04-13-2021, 05:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
tcverify.com

I have ordered several things from them also. Their sleeves are awesome. I wouldn't recommend their card kits. I bought several hundred and the whole ordeal was a complete cluster F*ck at best.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:03 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Hi all -

From what I've read here, at least some of you store relatively valuable cards in binders. Obviously we all have different definitions of what "relatively valuable" means, but how have you been able to get comfortable with that (whatever your $ threshold may be)?

I ask because I'm finding my boxes of top loaders to be pretty unfulfilling. I buy the card, I admire it, I put it away, and there it pretty much stays. I would like to enjoy my cards more, but putting, say, a $300 card in a plastic sheet would give me some anxiety. Any advice for getting over that?
If you are collecting as an investment verses collecting because they are yours and you won't be selling them, binders may not work for you.

I have 69 - 76 sets all in binders and there are some value cards in those sets. I like to take them out and have legal flashbacks of my youth. Growing up I collected cards, never invested in any card I ever had to get to complete a set.

All a matter of ones perspective I guess.

Enjoy,

Last edited by butchie_t; 04-15-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I love putting sets in binders. Makes it easier to flip through them and admire them, remember putting them together, etc. And I put all the stars, HOFers, whatever in the binder. Even $100 BV cards, $400 BV cards, whatever go into the binder.
Sam here. I don't care the value of the card, it goes in the binder. None of my cards have ever been damaged by doing this.

I used to have pre 1960 cards in hard plastic cases, but I never looked at them, they were just stored in a box on a shelf. Transitioning them into binders. Koufax,Maris,Mantle,Mays,Castleman etc going into the Binder.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:09 PM

Default I Like this too

I especially like this idea because I am one to organize and then reorganize my cards in different ways over time. The nice thing about using card savers and 4 pocket pages is you can easily remove and reorganize cards without damaging them. It sounds trivial but if you move cards enough times you come to appreciate the flexibility and protection. The biggest drawback is that a single album now only holds about 280 cards or so. That means 3 or more binders for many sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Old 04-15-2021, 07:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Instead of binders, I use 9 X 12 Itoya profolios. I put the cards in the sheets, then put the sheets in the pages. My concern with binders was the curve of the pages.

Because I think paying for opinions is stupid, all of my cards fit nicely into the sheets and pages.

I had my complete 1948-1992 Topps run stored that way before I sold them all, and I still have my Bowman cards that way (which I probably should sell, because I'm never going to continue working on the sets.

Doug
Old 04-17-2021, 06:46 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Instead of binders, I use 9 X 12 Itoya profolios. I put the cards in the sheets, then put the sheets in the pages. My concern with binders was the curve of the pages.

Because I think paying for opinions is stupid, all of my cards fit nicely into the sheets and pages.

I had my complete 1948-1992 Topps run stored that way before I sold them all, and I still have my Bowman cards that way (which I probably should sell, because I'm never going to continue working on the sets.

Doug
Interesting method, Doug. I never would have thought of that. I have a couple of 9x12 Itoyas at home I use to hold photographs. May have to do a little experimenting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I keep my cards in card savers and put the card savers in binders.

Which brand card savers and pages fit together the best? Any preferences? Thanks
Old 08-23-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
tcverify.com

Do these mylar sleeves hold the card firm in the middle similar to a card saver? Is the sleeve mylar the same size as a card saver? Just trying to figure out the logistics of putting the mylar sleeve into a binder page and the card and sleeve not sliding around inside the slot. Thanks
Old 08-23-2021, 03:22 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

To each their own. Personally, binders all the way for me. I don’t have cards in my collection that are stratospheric in price, several hundreds, yes. But they all go in binders.

I like to ogle at my cards from time to time and have legal flashbacks. I just like them all in one place.

Cheers,

B.T.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:06 PM
James M

Quote:

Looking to pick up a bunch of these binders. How many pages do you feel will fit comfortably in each binder?
Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 PM

What type of binders, sleeves etc. do you all use for the 1955 and 1956 Topps sets since they are slightly larger cards??????
Old 08-27-2021, 07:01 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbjerry View Post
Which brand card savers and pages fit together the best? Any preferences? Thanks
I think they are all about the same, I buy whatever my LCS has in stock.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I think they are all about the same, I buy whatever my LCS has in stock.

Thanks. Think I found some from Gaylord archival that have smaller slots (3.5") vs the standard (4"). They sent me a sample page. Hoping it will hold the card saver a little tighter. If not, it does look like they are all about the same.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2021, 12:06 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Another solution is to buy a cheap reprint for the binder of players like Mantle. I'm planning to do that with some early 60's sets I plan to start collecting mostly raw. Akin to making your own laser copy but not everyone has a color laser printer.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

438. Surrogreat (also Pinch Fitter)
The printout, photocopy or reprint of an expensive star card that you put in the pocket of your set binder in place of the original, which is kept safely stored elsewhere.

See also: Relief Picture - when the player on the card in question is a Hall of Fame pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:46 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post

438. Surrogreat (also Pinch Fitter)
The printout, photocopy or reprint of an expensive star card that you put in the pocket of your set binder in place of the original, which is kept safely stored elsewhere.

See also: Relief Picture - when the player on the card in question is a Hall of Fame pitcher.
Kudos!
Old 08-28-2021, 02:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I have several books which contain images of most of more expensive cards.

While I have some in binders, and some in Dakota Wood Boxes, the most valuable are graded and keep in two fire-proof safes - in an even safer place.

I also have scans of all the cards I have sold.

But, everyone has, and should have, their own particular storage v display strategy.

I will advise you not to store refractors and chrome additions in binders with plastic sleeves...trust me on that on.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-29-2021, 02:06 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I have several books which contain images of most of more expensive cards.

While I have some in binders, and some in Dakota Wood Boxes, the most valuable are graded and keep in two fire-proof safes - in an even safer place.

I also have scans of all the cards I have sold.

But, everyone has, and should have, their own particular storage v display strategy.

I will advise you not to store refractors and chrome additions in binders with plastic sleeves...trust me on that on.

Clyde, tell us more please. What happened?

Old 12-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Mike Lenart

I have my 1971 Topps coins in 12 pocket sheets. But they keep rotating and sometimes even fall out when viewing them.

I am thinking of putting each coin in those 2 x 2 coin holders then putting them in the sheet.

Is this what most do or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 12-15-2021, 05:50 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post
I have my 1971 Topps coins in 12 pocket sheets. But they keep rotating and sometimes even fall out when viewing them.

I am thinking of putting each coin in those 2 x 2 coin holders then putting them in the sheet.

Thanks!

Mike
That's what I did with that set and my Armour coin set. Works perfectly
Old 12-15-2021, 07:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemb View Post

Thanks!

Mike
the 15 pocket sheets fit the coins perfectly. It's what I use.

Or not...
Old 12-15-2021, 07:41 AM

Speaking of sets and binders….. most of us put the cards in number order. My friend showed me his 62 set and he put all the checklist together, all the players by team . Pretty cool to view it that way as opposed to number order.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:55 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Speaking of sets and binders….. most of us put the cards in number order. My friend showed me his 62 set and he put all the checklist together, all the players by team . Pretty cool to view it that way as opposed to number order.
The sets I collected as a kid, 1965 and upward, I keep by team. The checklists look great together. So do all the world series cards, all-star cards, etc.

Mike
Old 12-15-2021, 10:30 AM
Rick
Mike Mc.Gr@il

Quote:

That’s precisely what I was going to mention. I’ve heard of a number of set guys doing this.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:39 AM
Rick
Mike Mc.Gr@il

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
I’m the same way as well. For me personally I use ultra pro sleeves and pages. Then I shop for binders here:
www.baseball card binders.com. Pricy yes but for the style and quality of construction, it’s well worth it.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't collect full sets, just the players and cards I like, and I store them by teams like I did when I was a kid, especially if the team's cards have the same color and design scheme. One of the reasons 1975 Topps frustrated me so much was lack of consistency. One thing I like about some hockey sets is that they put the teams in number order.

Or not...