NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: John(z28jd) 

As some people may know i collect Larry Corcoran old judge cards and today i got a package that i assumed was the last variation i needed of his.All i could tell from the scan in the Robert Edwards auction is that the card was different than the other 5 i had so it was pretty safe(at least i thought) to say it was the last card i needed to have all of the variations.

Well when i opened the package i got quite a suprise when i found out it was a variation i thought i had doubles of already.Wondering how the heck i made that mistake.I first checked the auction site to make sure it was the same card and it was then pulled out the other cards which is a huge task in itself and find out its a different card from the other 2.

so whats better, finishing a player collection or finding a new one and still needing that last damn card i thought i was getting in the first place!

p.s. I guess its almost a moot point since i wasnt going to stop buying his cards even if it was the last one i needed but i still wouldve liked to have got that "last" card

Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: warshawlaw

When I went to NYC to view the Burdick collection, I found previously uncatalogued variations of several key 19th century boxing cards, including the N150 John L. Sullivan and the N269 John L. Sullivan. I've also catalogued several unknown Newsboy variations of Jim Corbett and Peter Jackson. I just wish I could have photographed the cards at the Met.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

"I guess its almost a moot point since i wasnt going to stop buying his cards even if it was the last one i needed but ..."

Once you complete all of the variations of an Old Judge card why keep accumulating cards of that player? Do you then collect all of the different hues for each variation? Or is there something else?

Gilbert

Old 12-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Jay Miller

I should not betray a confidence but, and please don't repeat this, but John has told me that Corcoran Old Judge cards will be the next Microsoft. John will become to Corcorans what the Hunts were to silver.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Scott

John starts saving up for a t206 Wagner so he can complete that set as well.

No one else can say "I collect Corcorans and t206s".

Old 12-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: john/z28jd

Whats with the old subjects coming back,someone catching up on some reading i guess

Theres a pretty simple explanation why i keep buying them eventho i have the entire player set........im out of my mind

PS Gilbert,i almost sent you a Grashopper Maines scan yesterday when i was going scan-happy with my brand new scanner but i put the cards away before i realized i forgot to send it,maybe next time

Old 12-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

I should not betray a confidence but, and please don't repeat this, but John has told me that Corcoran Old Judge cards will be the next Microsoft. John will become to Corcorans what the Hunts were to silver

I thought Hunts were ketchup people,except for good ole Mike Hunt who always seems to be hurt

As far as me saving for a T206 Wagner,i now take hypnotherapy classes and im in the process of convincing myself that my reprint of the T206 Wagner is a real one,its alot cheaper that way

Old 12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Scott

Of course, you would never be able to afford the famous "blue eyes" Doh! you just can't win with that card.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

There are five main variations of this card.

Two are poses with a bat.

Two are poses simulating throwing a ball.

I have those four.

The fifth, which I have never even seen, is called "hands at neck", I believe.

I certainly am very interested in obtaining this fifth pose. Condition is not a consideration.

PS. Silver at one point was selling around $50 per oz., in part because of the Hunts attempts. I resisted all motivations to get in on this, almost. When it dropped to $10. I bought a little, thinking it was just a market correction, and was likely to return to near high levels. That correction stabilized at around $5. for over 20 years. It is a little higher now, but not $10.

PPS. If you get a t206 Wagner reprint restored with period materials, do you think that it will get past PSA graders?

Old 12-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: tbob

as do the other 2 collectors (besides myself) I know who HAVE to have every color variation in the E94 set (all 6 of each player). I have also started doing this with the E98 set as well and have no clue how many others out there are trying the same thing.
Now is it still a mystery why certain caramel set cards appear to have completely dried up?

Old 12-10-2004, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Judge Dred

John doesn't have an obsession with Corcoran cards, he just likes them. The truly funny part will be when he finally gets the last card he needs only to find out that there is another pose that was just discovered. I would call John's past time of collecting Corcoran's borderline stalking of a deceased individual. Just kidding John.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Ok,heres the real reason

I bought 2 old judges from Larry Fritsch when he was the only source i knew to get them[aka pre computer days], A Joe Mulvey and a Larry Corcoran.They were the only 2 players i had heard of that were for sale from his catalog at the time.Those were also the only 2 i had for a couple years until i got a computer and went on ebay.I looked up old judges and ending in about 45 minutes was a Larry Corcoran and it wasnt the same variation i had.The card was skinned and only 29 bucks which i thought was an unreal price,so i signed up for ebay and won it from TIK.

About a month later i found another Corcoran and it was different from the 2 i had so i bought that one and at the time i thought 3 OJs of the same player was an amazing accomplishment.I misjudged the population of them of course.Well before i knew better a 4th one was on ebay and i decided to win it,misjudging the ebay time i came home late and missed upping my bid and was outbid by someone who bid about 10 times before they passed my high bid.

Basically that was the first time that happened on ebay for any card and it set me off,if i had won we might never know if i wouldve went Corcoran crazy,but i have and the rest is history.Oddly enough since then[about 4 years] only 2 of the ones i have bought have been off ebay,all the rest have been from board members or dealers.Im not a lunatic tho,dont get me wrong,i plan on stopping when i have them all and i wont steal the one from the library of congress website if i ever find out where it is,so ill never have them all

I find it interesting now to see the spectrum of condition the cards are in and also get an idea of how many of each variation is around still.I will admit that i have one that actually lists him as a RF[right fielder] instead of a pitcher which i thought was pretty cool and ive never heard of before,its also the worst condition card.It makes a little sense since he did play RF just as much as pitch his last season which was 1887

Theres the whole story[sort of]

Old 12-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Default whats better?

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I just don't want John to start collecting Pete Wood OJs, then we know he would be off his rocker. too many people get old Pete mixed up with George Wood, same damn team and everything.

John, I think our collecting never ends. There is always something out there to peak our interest. I was only going to collect Pete Wood OJs and now I have 15 with a 5 in catcher gear, which is the route I may also go.

Gee John maybe the guy with the laser printer can print you a unique variation.

Bee Good

Lee