NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-20-2021, 05:20 PM
Doug Goodman

I saw the Blasters open for the Go-Gos at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, CA on Aug 14, 1982. They were SO good!

In early November 1986 I went to see Slayer do two nights at the Stone in San Francisco, and hooked up with a waitress from the club after the show. We spent the next next couple weeks together (me and the hot redheaded waitress, not Slayer), and I went to the club just about every night. One of the shows I went to was Stanley Clark. I was watching the opening act (Jeffo) and some little drunk homeless looking guy came up to me and starting giving me shit because I was wearing shorts. "It's too cold outside to be wearing shorts" he slurred at me. "That's why I'm inside" I said. He pondered that for a view moments then shrugged and said "Good point" and stumbled away.

Carlos Santana was in the house that night and the buzz was that he would be joining Stanley on stage, but near the end of his set, when Stanley said something to the effect of "Ladies and gentleman, I would like to introduce you all to a friend of mine..." I didn't join in the crowd's excitement of Stanley playing Oye Como Va or something similar, because I could see Carlos standing in the lighting booth. Instead, "... please welcome, Mr. Jaco Pastorius" and that little drunk homeless guy came out and wailed on his bass in a way that I had never seen before, and I toured with Talas (Billy Sheehan) so I had seen some pretty darn good bass playing.

In Jaco's defense, it can get pretty cold in SF that time of year.

Also, I ended up at two weddings with the hot redhead, the first time she was my date when my sister got married, the second was at my wedding, but she was a guest with her mom, not the bride.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-10-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Doug "I invited a hot redhead that I hooked up with multiple times to my wedding, and what could possibly go wrong with that" Goodman. LMAO
1955 Dodger Autographs...41/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 02-21-2021, 12:09 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Doug "I invited a hot redhead that I hooked up with multiple times to my wedding, and what could possibly go wrong with that" Goodman. LMAO
I had three "relationship level" girlfriends, they were located in SF, SLC and NYC, before I met my lovely wife, and we (my wife and I) have had either lunch or dinner with each of them in the course of our travels.

All three of them were invited to the wedding, but as it was in the SF area, only Miss SF could make it.

Depending on the specifics of my work schedule, I still have lunch with each of them when I'm in their neighborhoods, and their husbands often join us.

My ex-girlfriends, their men, and the lovely wife and I could teach congress a few things about getting along.

Doug "if people would just be nice to each other..." Goodman
Old 02-21-2021, 07:45 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

That's pretty cool Doug...oh, and I don't really think ANYONE can teach Congress how to get along; Or get anything done for that matter.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:29 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post

In early November 1986 I went to see Slayer do two nights at the Stone in San Francisco, and hooked up with a waitress from the club after the show. We spent the next next couple weeks together (me and the hot redheaded waitress, not Slayer), and I went to the club just about every night. One of the shows I went to was Stanley Clark. I was watching the opening act (Jeffo) and some little drunk homeless looking guy came up to me and starting giving me shit because I was wearing shorts. "It's too cold outside to be wearing shorts" he said slurred at me. "That's why I'm inside" I said. I pondered that for a view moments then shrugged and said "Good point" and stumbled away.

Carlos Santana was in the house that night and the buzz was that he would be joining Stanley on stage, but near the end of his set, when Stanley said something to the effect of "Ladies and gentleman, I would like to introduce you all to a friend of mine..." I didn't join in the crowd's excitement of Stanley playing Oye Como Va or something similar, because I could see Carlos standing in the lighting booth. Instead, "... please welcome, Mr. Jaco Pastorius" and that little drunk homeless guy came out and wailed on his bass in a way that I had never seen before, and I toured with Talas (Billy Sheehan) so I had seen some pretty darn good bass playing.

In Jaco's defense, it can get pretty cold in SF that time of year.
Jaco Pastorius was a troubled genius. A sad death. He played around Boston a few times in the late 70's, but I never got the chance to see him.

In all of the shows I have attended only once was there a special guest. The last night of Elton John's tour, probably 1989 at Madison Square Garden. I was only there because my father-in-law at the time was president of MSG so my ex-wife and I drove down quite a few times for sports and concerts - Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert and always got to park inside the building next to the limos. For the last song 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' he brought out Billy Joel, Debbie Gibson and Wet, Wet, Wet who I believe were the opening act.

One other time we were teased at a show. Peter Gabriel Halloween Night 1979 at the Paradise in Boston. Yes, I saw him in a 550 seat club. There was speculation that Brian Eno was in town. He kept teasing and said I want to bring out a friend, which he did - a teddy bear!! It did not matter to me. I still got to see him in a tiny club.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-25-2021, 10:31 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Michael B & Doug...legendary stories guys! haha

Hard to follow up--lol

Foo Fighters -Wasting Light Tour-Sept.22.2011 Columbus, OH. @ Nationwide Arena.

Not exactly, heavy metal, but big fan of Dave Grohl. Very fortunate I was able to get front row to one of his shows. Beast mode on. Also gotta love his Pelham Blue Gibson Firebird guitar!

Old 02-26-2021, 02:59 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Gary,

Thank you for the kind words. Nice photos and good color correction. The tungsten lights they use in concert lighting can mess up the colors. I still shoot analog aka film so I use tungsten corrected film or flash when I can. Dave Grohl is from the next City over - Alexandria, VA the same hometown as Stewart Copeland of The Police. He and his mom are starting a podcast from what I read.

I am a fan of Pat Smear's original band, The Germs. They never played up in Boston as far as I know as their singer, Darby Crash committed suicide by OD'ing on heroin in 1980. There is a great documentary movie on the LA punk scene - 'The Decline of Western Civilization' by Penelope Spheeris. It features Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, Fear, Catholic Discipline, The Germs and X. Lots of candid footage and concert scenes.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Gary,

Thank you for the kind words. Nice photos and good color correction. The tungsten lights they use in concert lighting can mess up the colors. I still shoot analog aka film so I use tungsten corrected film or flash when I can. Dave Grohl is from the next City over - Alexandria, VA the same hometown as Stewart Copeland of The Police. He and his mom are starting a podcast from what I read.

I am a fan of Pat Smear's original band, The Germs. They never played up in Boston as far as I know as their singer, Darby Crash committed suicide by OD'ing on heroin in 1980. There is a great documentary movie on the LA punk scene - 'The Decline of Western Civilization' by Penelope Spheeris. It features Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, Fear, Catholic Discipline, The Germs and X. Lots of candid footage and concert scenes.
Wow, haven't thought about The Germs in quite awhile. I was actually at their first gig on April 16th, 1977 at the Orpheum Theater on Sunset Blvd. Well, "gig" is not the right word...train wreck is more like it. They couldn't play at all, and 12 bars in to their first song Darby (I think he went by Bobby Pyn at the time) takes out a jar of peanut butter and spreads it all over himself. I guess the promoters had told him not to because of the mess, so they pulled the plug on them and basically kicked them out, taking their small set of drums and throwing them in the corner. LOL The weirdos and the zeros were the other two bands on the bill and they were great (saw both sets from both of them that night). A good book on the scene and that night is "We've got the neutron bomb" by BRENDAN MULLEN AND MARC SPITZ. The only inaccurate account of that night in the book is that the Orpheum was "packed". Me and 2 buddies were sitting about two thirds of the way back with our feet up on the next row of seats and there wasn't anyone remotely near us...and the place only held 100 people.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:04 PM
Doug Goodman

I don't take a lot of pictures, but I did take this one...

I would kill to work for Dave Grohl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 amigos.jpg (73.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:47 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I don't take a lot of pictures, but I did take this one...

I would kill to work for Dave Grohl.
Super jealous of that picture. Awesomeness x100!
Any Grohl stories? Truly seems like an all-around good dude.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Gary,

I did hear about the podcast, will be tuning in! I actually never heard any of The Germs songs despite how great Pat Smear is. I'll need to focus on that in the near future. Seems like a fun listen!
Old 11-05-2023, 07:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Gary,

Ah yes.... Great documentary and Better Days!

Brings back fond memories of my all-time favorite love song... Beef Balogna by Fear.

Lee Ving... always the romantic.

https://www.streetdirectory.com/lyri.../beef_balogna/

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 11-05-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:19 PM
Doug Goodman

I miss this thread, and particularly Michael B's posts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Band-Black Sabbath.jpg (63.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-03-2024, 11:12 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default 1978 Black Sabbath

My stub from 1978 Black Sabbath at Madison Square garden. Opening act was some young guys from California called Van Halen.
Yes great thread.. hope it gets going again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240504_010749.jpg (190.5 KB, 22 views)