NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Jeff

This is a by product of "it's got a cert from the finest authenticators in the industry so it must be good" mentality. These certs and card grading have made it very easy for the AHs to distance themselves IMO from actual in house expertise on items.

They did the right thing when they pulled the other balls.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-21-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
This is a by product of "it's got a cert from the finest authenticators in the industry so it must be good" mentality. These certs and card grading have made it very easy for the AHs to distance themselves IMO from actual in house expertise on items.

They did the right thing when they pulled the other balls.
Agreed on both counts.

Further, what is truly hypocritical here is NOT that Heritage is now pointing to the ball itself as an argument for the signature's authenticity. That is a valid argument (though a weak and incomplete one), made most likely in response to the reasons that other baseballs were pulled down. Good for them. What IS htpocritical in this case is that they are continuing to point at the expertise of JSA and PSA/DNA, even as the other ball that was taken down because of markings on it had letters from those same people.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 02-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Agreed on both counts.

Further, what is truly hypocritical here is NOT that Heritage is now pointing to the ball itself as an argument for the signature's authenticity. That is a valid argument (though a weak and incomplete one), made most likely in response to the reasons that other baseballs were pulled down. Good for them. What IS htpocritical in this case is that they are continuing to point at the expertise of JSA and PSA/DNA, even as the other ball that was taken down because of markings on it had letters from those same people.

it's not a valid argument, ball dating can only rule out an autograph, never rule one in. fake autographs may or may not be on period balls, but real ones have to be on period balls, they cannot be on out of period balls. so pointing to a period ball only says it is not a definite fake based only on the ball it is signed on, that is all it can say.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
it's not a valid argument, ball dating can only rule out an autograph, never rule one in. fake autographs may or may not be on period balls, but real ones have to be on period balls, they cannot be on out of period balls. so pointing to a period ball only says it is not a definite fake based only on the ball it is signed on, that is all it can say.
As I said, it is a weak and incomplete argument, but it is still an argument and relevant. Jim Stinson is here saying that it's the first thing he does. Heritage is saying that they've done it.

Further, there is more than simple ball dating going on here, which creates a stronger argument (still weak and incomplete, but a step in true autograph verification) and is quite interesting to me. I'm learning quite a bit from this "Platinum Night" auction, most of which Heritage probably didn't want me (or anyone else) to learn.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
By the way, most of the arguments against the ball that I've read on here have been "likelihoods" (i.e. spacing, no auto on the sweet spot, roster positioning, etc.). These are compelling and great reasons to not want to risk spending money, but none rule the ball out, obviously.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think someone is missing the point. The balls where taken down not because of there expert authenticators. It was taken down because people like Nash forced them to by pointing out that the balls where dated for wrong time to have been signed by those people. Those where forgery's on the ball and yet they are trying to tell us how great there people are. I will say this again. They did not take the balls down because they wanted to. They took them down because they had to no other choice.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I think someone is missing the point. The balls where taken down not because of there expert authenticators. It was taken down because people like Nash forced them to by pointing out that the balls where dated for wrong time to have been signed by those people. Those where forgery's on the ball and yet they are trying to tell us how great there people are. I will say this again. They did not take the balls down because they wanted to. They took them down because they had to no other choice.
Right! My point is that now giving the date of this particular ball is in no way hypocritical. In fact, it is in direct reponse to being forced to pull the other balls down and is what Heritage should have done in the first damn place.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Right! My point is that now giving the date of this particular ball is in no way hypocritical. In fact, it is in direct reponse to being forced to pull the other balls down and is what Heritage should have done in the first damn place.
Wayne, Ban Johnson was the commissioner through 1927, so a forger would have to have gotten a 1927 or earlier ball. Notice that the ball has stamped on it 'PAT'D.MAR.17-25'. A forger would almost certainly have grabbed one with that stamp, meaning any ball he used would have a one out of three chance of being the correct one, even if he was just guessing. That doesn't seem like quite the miracle that Heritage is claiming.

I posted pics of both balls because I found it odd that the stitching is going in different directions. I thought Reach was anal about that sort of thing, but I guess not.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Banned

where were their expert authenticators on the balls they took down, like the 1940 gehrig and the ty cobb signed wilson ball. why arent the awesome authenticators on those balls as well. why just awesome on the ones that heritage wants them to be awesome on?

its VERY hypocritical.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Wayne, Ban Johnson was the commissioner through 1927, so a forger would have to have gotten a 1927 or earlier ball. Notice that the ball has stamped on it 'PAT'D.MAR.17-25'. A forger would almost certainly have grabbed one with that stamp, meaning any ball he used would have a one out of three chance of being the correct one, even if he was just guessing. That doesn't seem like quite the miracle that Heritage is claiming.

I posted pics of both balls because I found it odd that the stitching is going in different directions. I thought Reach was anal about that sort of thing, but I guess not.
OK, thanks. I'm learning more. Is it not true that this ball is most certainly a 1927 model? Is that the 1 in 3 that you speak of?

Do you think it's a bad/hypocritical thing that this information was posted by Heritage, as others here seem to be arguing?

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 02-21-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Wayne, agreed that they gave us the date of the ball to show that the ball is authentic. It does not make the autographs on the ball authentic. That is what I find hypocritical. They have never once said that there most respected people authenticated crap. Because the ball is real we should think that the autographs have to be as well.

Last edited by shelly; 02-21-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Wayne, agreed that they gave us the date of the ball to show that the ball is authentic. It does not make the autographs on the ball authentic. That is what I find hypocritical. They have never once said that there most respected people authenticated crap. Know because the ball is real we should think that the autographs have to be as well.
It does not make it authentic, but it shows that they have (finally) done their due diligence on this ball at least.

They are still coupling the dating of the ball WITH the TPA LOAs. THAT is their argument for authenticity, for whatever it is worth. And they need to recognize that we know the Gehrig sweet spot ball had those same TPA LOAs

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 02-21-2013 at 05:11 PM.